Gavinmc42

Re: Updated 64-bit Gentoo Image for RPi3 Released (now also for RPI3B+)

Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:06 am

Yippee, ARM's Compute Library compiled, now I just have to figure out what it is/does ;)
I'm dancing on Rainbows.
Raspberries are not Apples or Oranges

Gavinmc42

Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:30 am

Getting ambitious, will Tensorflow compile on Gentoo?
http://zhiyisun.github.io/2017/02/15/Ru ... tform.html
I'm dancing on Rainbows.

sakaki

Sat Apr 28, 2018 6:16 pm

Hi,

dev-lang/rust-1.25.0 and dev-util/cargo-0.26.0 are now on the binhost, as is dev-lang/go-1.10.1 ^-^

www-client/firefox-59.0.2 has just built, will be released once I've had a chance to test it

Incidentally, I wrote up a short tutorial on how to build rust (see this post) - another way to escape the RPi3's 1GB limit ^-^

best, sakaki

sakaki

Sun Apr 29, 2018 3:21 pm

RPi3 B+ Ethernet Issues (RPi3 B users unaffected) and Workaround

gentoo-on-rpi3-64bit users,

Currently, there appear to be two issues with the RPi3 B+'s LAN7515 chip which can significantly affect performance (and which will need fixes in the customized lan78xx driver, most likely). As far as I can tell, these affect both 64 and 32-bit users, all distros.

The first issue occurs when connecting your RPi3 B+ to an Ethernet switch that does not have flow control turned on (as is the case in many datacentres, for example). RPF engineer comment (quotes below all from this thread on the forums):
jamesh wrote:
Thu Apr 05, 2018 1:46 pm
Reports so far.

Been hitting the ethernet with a stick for the last few days, that stick being iperf3. I have been testing the onboard, and two different USB->GigE dongles.

The main conclusion we have come to - if your switch does NOT have flow control turned on, you will suffer a large drop in performance. This is due to the Pi being unable to service incoming data at gig speeds, and therefore a lot of retries are required for dropped frames.

[...]

Finally, we are talking to Microchip to see what can be done to improve performance. It's their chip and their driver. However, we are still investigating.

The second issue concerns bad Ethernet performance once a certain amount of data (around 2GB?) has been transferred. RPF engineer comment:
jamesh wrote:
Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:34 am
ErgatesthiAnt wrote:
Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:27 am
I have a suspicion I'm also having related network troubles on my 3B+. If I copy more than a few GB via SMB, the 3B+ network becomes unreliable and stops being able to copy files. Extremely frustrating. I did set flow control to on in my Netgear switch, and that meant that failures took longer to occur and copy speeds were a little higher (~18MB/s), but the same problem still occurs.

For now I've gone back to my 3B. Should I be returning my 3B+?
We have had a number of reports on large transfers dying when using Samba . I think its unrelated to the issue in this thread, but it is being looked in to.
I have personally experienced this (I think), where a large rsync backup of my RPi3 B+ build server choked (repeatedly) about half way (several GB) through, connected over a local LAN (I have never had any issues running the same rsync script on an RPi3 B).

Temporary Workaround

If you are using your RPi3 B+ to provide production services over Ethernet, I recommend using ethtool to reduce the advertised performance to 100Mbit (that of the old RPi3B's adaptor) pro tem. This workaround seems to prevent the problems occurring.

NB: If you only use your RPi3 B+'s Ethernet for light access (e.g. ssh), or use your RPi3 B+'s WiFi networking primarily, or use an RPi3 B, you need take no action at this stage.

To do so, open a terminal on your gentoo-on-rpi3-64bit RPi3 B+ system, and issue:

Code: Select all

[email protected] ~ $ sudo emaint sync --repo rpi3
[email protected] ~ $ sudo emerge -v sys-apps/ethtool
[email protected] ~ $ sudo mousepad /etc/local.d/slow-down-eth0.start &>/dev/null&
The mousepad editor should open, onto the (new) file /etc/local.d/slow-down-eth0.start. Copy the following into that file:

#!/bin/bash

# slow down eth0 to 100Mbit until properly fixed
# see https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=208512

>&2 echo "WARNING: setting eth0 to 100Mbit max"
ethtool -s eth0 speed 100 duplex full autoneg on
Save the file, and exit mousepad. Then issue:

[email protected] ~ $ sudo chmod -v ugo+x /etc/local.d/slow-down-eth0.start
to make the script runnable at (each) boot time.

Finally, run the script now, so it will take effect immediately (no need to reboot):

demo[email protected] ~ $ sudo /etc/local.d/slow-down-eth0.start
WARNING: setting eth0 to 100Mbit max
You can check the change has been taken up, with:

[email protected] ~ $ sudo ethtool eth0 | grep "Advertised link modes:"
	Advertised link modes:  100baseT/Full 

When a fix to the kernel driver (covering both the above issues) is released, I'll post again here, at which point you can simply delete the /etc/local.d/slow-down-eth0.start file, if you are using it.

Apologies for the inconvenience ><

sakaki

cjan

Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:45 pm

which version kernel using current?

sakaki

Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:43 pm

cjan wrote:
Yes. Fixes for some other lan78xx stuff have already been committed, but afaik changes addressing the above two issues have not yet landed in tree.

Best, sakaki

Gavinmc42

Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:10 am

Thanks Sakaki,

That might explain a few things, I was doing some really big stuff and had a crash.
Mind you, it was deliberate stress testing ;)
I will try with 100Mbs setting.
Sounds like WiFi may be better till fixes come down.
Might try 5GHz band now the I have Pi's that can do that.
I'm dancing on Rainbows.

cjan

Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:41 am

sakaki wrote:
Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:43 pm
cjan wrote:
Yes. Fixes for some other lan78xx stuff have already been committed, but afaik changes addressing the above two issues have not yet landed in tree.

Best, sakaki
yep, saw kernel >= .35 fixed lan78xx issues.
wait, i did not have Pi3 or Pi3+.

Gavinmc42

Sun May 13, 2018 8:43 am

Sakaki, have you been watching the Pi3B+ lockup posts?
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=208821&start=275

What are the cpu, gpu, sdram settings?
How to find them and change them in Gentoo64?
I want to try changing the sdram to 500MHz on my locking combo Pi3B+ /SDcard.
I'm dancing on Rainbows.

sakaki

Mon May 14, 2018 7:50 pm

Gavinmc42 wrote:
Sun May 13, 2018 8:43 am
Sakaki, have you been watching the Pi3B+ lockup posts?
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=208821&start=275

What are the cpu, gpu, sdram settings?
How to find them and change them in Gentoo64?
I want to try changing the sdram to 500MHz on my locking combo Pi3B+ /SDcard.
I have looked at this, it's interesting, still not quite sure what the 'official' recommended settings are right now for optimal RPi3B+ stability yet. Once this settles down I will update the relevant package for the Gentoo image.

In any case, the file you need to edit is /boot/config.txt; do this as root (sudo mousepad /boot/config.txt &>dev/null& or similar).

You can add an RPi3B+ specific stanza to the end, and then put in any desired settings there, for example add:

[pi3+]
sdram_freq=500
[all]
Leave the rest of the file as-is. Save and exit mousepad, and reboot.

Made in this way, your change should only activate when the image is booted on an RPi3B+; if you boot it on an RPi3B, anything between the [pi3+] and [all] filters will be ignored.

procount

Mon May 14, 2018 8:19 pm

"should" is the right word. See viewtopic.php?f=63&t=211841&p=1309721#p1309721 .
PINN - NOOBS with the extras... https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=142574

Gavinmc42

Tue May 15, 2018 12:30 am

Yep 3B+ still a moving target, some people might think it is minor upgrade.
It is not, it is the biggest upgrade RPT have done.

Thanks to both of you.
Clues to setting clocks, I did not know there was a 3B+ config option.

Sakaki, no vcgencmd in Gentoo64?
Trying to figure out how to find what values are default as set by start.elf?

Default GPIO can be found here, not sure where default clocks are found
https://github.com/raspberrypi/firmware ... ster/extra
I'm dancing on Rainbows.

sakaki

Tue May 15, 2018 1:04 pm

Gavinmc42 wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 12:30 am
Sakaki, no vcgencmd in Gentoo64?
Trying to figure out how to find what values are default as set by start.elf?
It is available, but not in the current shipped image. To get it do:

pi64 ~ # emaint sync --repo rpi3
pi64 ~ # emerge -av media-libs/raspberrypi-userland
Package available on the binhost, so shouldn't take long to emerge.
You can then run vcgencmd and friends. For example, on my 3B+ (which seems to run fine with the 'stock' memory clocking):

pi64 ~ # vcgencmd get_config int
arm_64bit=1
arm_control=512
arm_freq=1400
audio_pwm_mode=514
config_hdmi_boost=5
core_freq=400
desired_osc_freq=0x33e140
desired_osc_freq_boost=0x3c45b0
disable_commandline_tags=2
disable_l2cache=1
display_hdmi_rotate=-1
display_lcd_rotate=-1
force_eeprom_read=1
force_pwm_open=1
framebuffer_depth=16
framebuffer_ignore_alpha=1
framebuffer_swap=1
gpu_freq=300
hdmi_force_cec_address=65535
init_uart_clock=0x2dc6c00
lcd_framerate=60
mask_gpu_interrupt0=1024
mask_gpu_interrupt1=0x10000
over_voltage_avs=0x155cc
over_voltage_avs_boost=0x2f4d6
over_voltage_sdram_p=2
pause_burst_frames=1
program_serial_random=1
sdram_freq=500
sdram_schmoo=0x2000020
hth, sakaki

Gavinmc42

Wed May 16, 2018 8:40 am

Thanks Sakaki,
I think default is 500MHz as I had a lock at that when I changed config.txt settings.
Seems to be running longer now at 450MHz.

Lost track of which one of my 2 3B+'s was better than the other.
So more testing to do, locks up just sitting there doing nothing.

A quick google says DDR2 are only 266-400MHz so perhaps this is why?
I'm dancing on Rainbows.

Gavinmc42

Wed May 23, 2018 7:23 am

Still issues with lockup, chasing moving target as bugs get swished ;)
4.14.42 - 4.16.xx?

Anyway while that gets sorted, came across some zram info.
viewtopic.php?f=62&t=169608&start=75

I was aware of it being one way to fake more memory, but can it be used for swap?
For normal Gentoo64, not for the big compiler version that needs 4GB swap etc.
Would it be of any use for the normal desktop user?
I'm dancing on Rainbows.

sakaki

Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:42 pm

Hello,

I've just posted a v1.2.2 release of my bootable 64-bit Gentoo image for the RPi3 (model B and B+) on GitHub (here, includes full download instructions).

A changelog from the prior release image (with upgrade instructions) may be viewed here, but in summary:
  • Migrated the default binary kernel package from bcmrpi3-kernel-bin to bcmrpi3-kernel-bis-bin; the latter uses a slightly tweaked version of the upstream bcmrpi3_defconfig via this weekly autobuild (to which, incidentally, config-change PRs will be accepted for review). The original bcmrpi3-kernel-bin package (and autobuild) will continue to be supported, and indeed you can easily switch to this version if you desire (just run, as root, "emerge -av1 sys-kernel/bcmrpi3-kernel-bin && reboot"). However, having the ability to tweak the configuration (and possibly kernel source in future) provides additional flexibility. For example, in this release KVM is supported (see this thread) and the image ships with app-emulation/qemu if you want to try it out. Other facilities will be rolled out in future.
  • The RPi3's SoC has a hardware random number generator, added the sys-apps/rng-tools package to start using it for /dev/random.
  • Added the top-level package media-sound/mpd and media-sound/mpc (a music player daemon and client).
  • Added a (first-cut, 64-bit) build of media-libs/raspberrypi-userland, so you can now use vcgencmd etc. Please note that (as with all 64-bit distros for the RPi3 at the moment), MMAL and OpenMax IL features are not supported (see also this issue).
  • For those wishing to share files with Windows boxes, net-fs/samba is now bundled (you need to configure and activate it yourself, however, see e.g. these notes).
  • Added a /etc/sysctl.d rule to optimize cache usage settings for low memory (per this article).
  • Added a service (rpi3-safecompositor) which turns off display compositing if a high pixel clock is detected (> 1.2175MHz, currently). This is because certain applications, for example LibreOffice v6 Draw and Impress, can cause the whole system to lock-up when used with compositing on under such conditions.
  • Added a startup service (rpi3-ethfix) to workaround some of the current RPi3B+ Ethernet issues via ethtool.
  • Various minor ebuild tidy-ups.
  • All packages brought up-to-date against the Gentoo tree, as of 3 June 2018 (including Firefox Quantum v60.0.1).
A variant image for the Pi-Top v1 (an RPi3-based DIY laptop) is also included.

Have fun ^-^

And, as always, any problems or comments, please post either in this thread, or in the project's (sticky) thread on the Gentoo forums (here).

Gavinmc42

Sun Jun 10, 2018 12:47 pm

First tests - booting up and shutting down , it runs on both my Pi3B+'s and both 16GB Sandisk A1 cards.
Previous version had issues with one card and one Pi3B+ ;)
Also seems to shut down much faster.

No lockups yet on either Pi/SD combo :D
30+ minutes of testing each.
With both going, I can stress test them at the same time.
Perhaps time to get some more Pi3B+'s too as Kernel 4.14.44 seems to be much better.

Very happy with this 1.2.2 version.
Much, much better than precious version, well done Sakaki.
I am even using old mouse that does not work on other PC's :shock:

vcgencmd measure_clock hdmi returns 163683000, 163MHz
Which explains the fourth phase locked loop called PLLH, something I did not know before.
I'm dancing on Rainbows.

Gavinmc42

Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:04 am

vcgencmd was useful.

I have one Pi3B+ that consistently locks up.
I use the glxgears demo and the gears stop turning on lockup.
Locked up with
sdram_freq=500. arm_freq=1400
sdram_freq=450. arm_freq=1400
sdram_freq=400. arm_freq=1400

Edited config.txt - sdram_freq=400 arm_freq=1200 fixes the lockup on this Pi3B+
My other Pi3B+ runs fine at 500, 1400.
I'm dancing on Rainbows.

Gavinmc42

Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:23 am

Update, been running for hours at 500, 1300.
So most likely the ARM core freq was the cause of this lockup.
I'm dancing on Rainbows.

nes_pi

Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:39 am

sakaki wrote:
Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:42 pm
Hello,

I've just posted a v1.2.2 release of my bootable 64-bit Gentoo image for the RPi3 (model B and B+) on GitHub (here, includes full download instructions).

A changelog from the prior release image (with upgrade instructions) may be viewed here, but in summary:
  • Migrated the default binary kernel package from bcmrpi3-kernel-bin to bcmrpi3-kernel-bis-bin; the latter uses a slightly tweaked version of the upstream bcmrpi3_defconfig via this weekly autobuild (to which, incidentally, config-change PRs will be accepted for review). The original bcmrpi3-kernel-bin package (and autobuild) will continue to be supported, and indeed you can easily switch to this version if you desire (just run, as root, "emerge -av1 sys-kernel/bcmrpi3-kernel-bin && reboot"). However, having the ability to tweak the configuration (and possibly kernel source in future) provides additional flexibility. For example, in this release KVM is supported (see this thread) and the image ships with app-emulation/qemu if you want to try it out. Other facilities will be rolled out in future.
  • The RPi3's SoC has a hardware random number generator, added the sys-apps/rng-tools package to start using it for /dev/random.
  • Added the top-level package media-sound/mpd and media-sound/mpc (a music player daemon and client).
  • Added a (first-cut, 64-bit) build of media-libs/raspberrypi-userland, so you can now use vcgencmd etc. Please note that (as with all 64-bit distros for the RPi3 at the moment), MMAL and OpenMax IL features are not supported (see also this issue).
  • For those wishing to share files with Windows boxes, net-fs/samba is now bundled (you need to configure and activate it yourself, however, see e.g. these notes).
  • Added a /etc/sysctl.d rule to optimize cache usage settings for low memory (per this article).
  • Added a service (rpi3-safecompositor) which turns off display compositing if a high pixel clock is detected (> 1.2175MHz, currently). This is because certain applications, for example LibreOffice v6 Draw and Impress, can cause the whole system to lock-up when used with compositing on under such conditions.
  • Added a startup service (rpi3-ethfix) to workaround some of the current RPi3B+ Ethernet issues via ethtool.
  • Various minor ebuild tidy-ups.
  • All packages brought up-to-date against the Gentoo tree, as of 3 June 2018 (including Firefox Quantum v60.0.1).
A variant image for the Pi-Top v1 (an RPi3-based DIY laptop) is also included.

Have fun ^-^

And, as always, any problems or comments, please post either in this thread, or in the project's (sticky) thread on the Gentoo forums (here).
This is awesome, thanks, (and i regret not registering as nyamo now)
is anyone compiling on a higher powered machine and then sending their binaries to the Pi?
Just curious how people are compiling if this is how anyone is doing it. (or are you all compiling everything within the pi?)

Gavinmc42

Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:35 am

is anyone compiling on a higher powered machine and then sending their binaries to the Pi?
Just curious how people are compiling if this is how anyone is doing it. (or are you all compiling everything within the pi?)
There is some info on the Gentoo Arm forums.
To me is seems like the hard stuff is cross compiled on PC's.
Things like the Kernel and Rust/Firefox etc.
Things that need 12GB of ram and 4GB swap files etc.

I am starting to do OpenGL stuff on Gentoo64, it is easier than Linux or Raspbian.
Mainly I think because Sakaki has included all the stuff needed in this distribution.
GCC and a lot of build tools are already there.

There is still lots of stuff not ported (ebuild) for aarch64 yet.
Run Porthole to see what is available, there is more than I thought.
Type in something and it will say if there is a build and it's dependencies.
emerge is the CLI version, it is similar to the sudo apt-get install xxx method in Raspbian.

Some things need lots of memory to compile on the Pi, Sakaki shows how to run headless, freeing up the GPU memory.
See the ARM Compute Library compile wiki.
I'm dancing on Rainbows.

sakaki

Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:48 am

nes_pi wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:39 am
This is awesome, thanks, (and i regret not registering as nyamo now)
nes_pi (sensei? ^-^)

As Gavinmc42 states above, there are various ways to go about this.

Small or script-based packages will emerge (build) quite happily on the RPi3 natively (3B+ preferred), just make sure you have an appropriate heatsink fitted, and consider running with the GUI off (headless). I have my buildserver 3B+ in a Flirc case, which works well.

For larger packages that use gcc, you can distribute the compilation via distcc, using (most commonly) one or more PCs on the same network to perform the actual (cross-)compile (built using e.g. Gentoo's crossdev framework). I have full instructions for setting this up on the project's wiki (here ff). You can distribute clang this way too (see e.g. these notes).

For some packages, however, this trick won't work. For example, rustc won't distribute (or at least, not without some deep ledgerdemain) and is very resource hungry in terms of memory. And once the RPi starts seriously swapping, compile times go through the roof (building rust natively can take literally days to complete).

For these latter situtions, you can either compile on a more powerful arm64 box (for example, NeddySeagoon builds packages on a Clavium THUNDERX) or use a user-mode qemu chroot from a host PC. I build packages like firefox and rust using the latter approach and have full instructions for setting this up on the project's wiki, here. This isn't a magic bullet either though, as certain things (such as java) currently don't build correctly under qemu. So you have to mix and match. Once the binary pacakges are built, they are then uploaded (in the case of this project) to a shared binhost (https://isshoni.org/pi64pie) so all users can emerge them quickly on a standalone RPi3 without having to rebuild.

hth,
sakaki

sakaki

Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:28 am

The v1.2.2 release mentioned above is now available for installation via PINN as well (thanks to procount for this).

As before, the standard image is called "gentoo64" in PINN; and the Pi-Top variant "gentoo64pt".

Best, sakaki

cjan

Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:10 am

do we have 32bit for Rip2 ?

Gavinmc42

Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:42 am

The old Pi2 uses the BCM2836 SoC, the newer Pi2 uses the BCM2837.
Old 32bit only, new 32/64bit.
So this should work on the new Pi2, but I don't have any.

Gentoo32?
I have only found DIY build instructions, no ready to go image?
I'm dancing on Rainbows.

Return to “Gentoo”