StephenBartel

Backup SD card with two partitions using win32 Disk Imager?

Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:33 am

Hi,

I have been trying to backup my SD card by cloning it with Win32 Disk Imager. However, in all the online tutorials, the sd cards have only one partition. Mine has two partitions. One is only 40.3MB in size and is called "boot". For the other partition, Windows asks to format it when I plug the SD card into the computer. So it appears as two drives, such as E:\ and D:\.
How am I supposed to clone my SD card when it has 2 partitions?

Thank you.
Attachments
RaspiImage.PNG
RaspiImage.PNG (16.67 KiB) Viewed 25464 times

asandford

Re: Backup SD card with two partitions using win32 Disk Imag

Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:40 am

Windows can't 'see' the other partition. Win32DI doesn't 'know' about partitions, it reads the media at a lower level.

StephenBartel

Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:45 am

Thanks for replying.

So which one should I choose to clone? The boot partition or the other partition?

KLL

Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:59 am

but still Win32DiskImager or Etcher will copy the whole thing,
independent how many partitions are on the card... a 8GB SD card will give a 8GB file.
for storage you can zip it down.

but you might have problems restore it to a other card because
even if nominal same SIZE, if some MB missing restore will fail.
to avoid that there is a way to shrink the partition little bit.

the best backup of SD cards is a copy by
RASPBIAN / desktop menu / accessories / SD card copier / ,
( means not need a PC, but use the USB card reader connect to RPI )
because it can even copy to smaller cards / as long the content fits /
by the way: it can also copy to a USB stick ( instead of SD card in card reader )
and if RPI3 has OTP USB boot enable! / or any RPI have ( a small) SD card with bootcode.bin file only /
you could ( after copy ) boot from that USB stick by
/ power OFF / remove SD card / power ON /
StephenBartel wrote:So which one should I choose to clone? The boot partition or the other partition?
you need anyway both!

rpdom

Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:01 am

Select the Boot one and Win32DiskImager will copy the whole card (I think it just needs the logical drive letter to find out where the physical drive/card really is).

fruitoftheloom

Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:47 am

The issue with W32DI is it creates a clone of the whole SD Card by byte size and therefore it can only be written back to the same size card.

RPF offer a bootable "Raspberry PI Desktop powered by Debian" Operating System for x86 machines and includes SD Card Copier

http://downloads.raspberrypi.org/rpd_x8 ... 017-06-23/

SD card copier requires a SDHC compliant SD Card Reader:
To back up your Raspberry Pi's internal SD card, insert a blank SD card into a USB card writer and connect it to your Pi. Then start the application, choose your card writer from the “Copy To Device” drop-down box and press “Start”. The copy process will take 10-15 minutes depending on the size of your card.

The resulting card should be a bootable copy of your existing card; to restore, simply place the backup card into the onboard SD card slot, put the card to restore onto into the USB writer and repeat the copy process above.

You can also back up to a standard USB stick, and then restore from the USB stick to an SD card by setting the “Copy From Device” drop-down to the USB stick and the “Copy To Device” to a USB card writer containing the card to restore onto.

Note that you cannot copy onto the SD card from which your Pi is currently booted, which is why it does not appear in the “Copy To Device” dropdown.

Note also that the destination card doesn’t need to be the same size as the source card, but it must have enough space to hold all the data that is on it. The application will warn you if there is insufficient space on the destination
Retired disgracefully.....

mmaharebi

Re: Backup SD card with two partitions using win32 Disk Imager?

Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:13 am

hi. you can right click on This PC and choose Manage button. you can change your partitions there

Return to “Beginners”