Pavel_47

Picture reversed on 7" touchscreen

Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:53 am

Hello,

Recently I've acquired Raspberry Pi 7" Touch Screen.
https://www.digitec.ch/en/s1/product/ra ... ul-5614195.

Once attached to Raspberry Pi 3 module, it becomes quite uncomfortable to use.
After searching for appropriate case, I've found this model (OneNineDesign Touchscreen Case):
http://www.averagemanvsraspberrypi.com/ ... tions.html

But comparing the sketches from the above link with my Rasberry Pi 3 module, mounted on 7" Touch Screen, I can state, that
if HDMI socket, USB power and composite video are on the TOP, the picture on the touch screen is REVERSED.

Does it mean that 7" touch screen is wrongly assembled.

Thanks in advance.

Pavel.

6by9
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Re: Picture reversed on 7" touchscreen

Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:44 am

Documentation: https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... /README.md
Screen Orientation

LCD displays have an optimum viewing angle, and depending on how the screen is mounted it may be necessary to change the orientation of the display to give the best results. By default, the Raspbery Pi display and Raspberry Pi are set up to work best when viewed from slightly above, for example on a desktop. If viewing from below, you can physically rotate the display, and then tell the system software to compensate by running the screen upside down.

To flip the display, add, anywhere in the file \boot\config.txt, the following line:

lcd_rotate=2

This will vertically flip the LCD and the touch screen, compensating for the physical orientation of the display.
Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi Trading. Views expressed are still personal views.
I'm not interested in doing contracts for bespoke functionality - please don't ask.

Pavel_47

Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:19 pm

Thanks,

According to the link from my first mail, in order to use Pimoroni Frame support and OneNineDesign Touchscreen Case, user must proceed with lcd_rotate=2, otherwise picture is reversed, isn't ?

I'm newbie in Raspberry Pi (I've just acquired it) and actually I've no keyboard. Is it possible to check lcd_rotate=2 impact, e.g. using some kind of "on-sceen" keyboard, or editing the file config.txt from notebook ?

Thanks once more.

6by9

Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:54 pm

Pavel_47 wrote:I'm newbie in Raspberry Pi (I've just acquired it) and actually I've no keyboard. Is it possible to check lcd_rotate=2 impact, e.g. using some kind of "on-sceen" keyboard, or editing the file config.txt from notebook ?
Put the SD card in any PC/Mac/Linux PC and it should find a FAT formatted partition called BOOT (Linux and possibly a Mac will also find an ext3 partition). That is what is mounted on the Pi as /boot, so you'll find config.txt in that partition.
Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi Trading. Views expressed are still personal views.
I'm not interested in doing contracts for bespoke functionality - please don't ask.

Pavel_47

Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:12 pm

It's Ok. Thanks.
Can you just confirm before closing this topic that default orientation of the 7" touchscreen didn't take into consideration the orientation required by the majority of support/cases (e.g. Pimoroni and OneNineDesign) and all users must edit config file.
This question is just for curiosity ... I wonder that probably there are 2 versions of 7" touchscreens with different default orientation ?
Thanks once more.

6by9

Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:34 pm

Pavel_47 wrote:Can you just confirm before closing this topic that default orientation of the 7" touchscreen didn't take into consideration the orientation required by the majority of support/cases (e.g. Pimoroni and OneNineDesign) and all users must edit config file.
This question is just for curiosity ... I wonder that probably there are 2 versions of 7" touchscreens with different default orientation ?
There aren't 2 versions of the display.

As noted in the documentation, the screen has a slightly different viewing angle from above and below (60 vs 70 degrees). The very original firmware had it set "incorrectly", so that the better viewing angle side was from below. Various suppliers designed their cases/stands based on that.
Once it was noted that the display was technically upside down the default firmware behaviour was changed with an option to swap it over. That does mean that those using stands such as Pimoroni's need to add lcd_rotate=2 to config.txt.
There were discussions at one point of conversion kits for the Pimoroni stand, but I don't recall ever seeing such a thing. It tends to be easier to use with the power and HDMI connectors on the top, which would mean you'd have to get a longer flexi cable and add a twist to mount it on the back with the display the other way up.

Pavel_47

Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:20 pm

Thanks a lot for your clarification.
Can I take advantage of your kindness once more.
My local supplier provides different case/support models for 7" display, but there is no any technical documentation on the products. If you are aware on this subject, could you advice me a model from the following list (that matches assembly Raspberry Pi 3 + 7" touchscreen):
https://www.digitec.ch/en/s1/product/ra ... se-6062299

https://www.digitec.ch/en/s1/product/ad ... se-6060510

https://www.digitec.ch/en/s1/product/ad ... se-6079962
Thanks

6by9

Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:27 pm

Number 1 appears to have the touchscreen flexi coming out the top based on the cutout. That is the same as the Pimoroni one I have in front of me, and that is upside down.
Number 2 is the Pimoroni one - it's upside down.
Number 3 appears to have the ethernet socket at the bottom, and the USB/ethernet connectors on the left. That would be the opposite to the other two, so would indicate that they have flipped it. It does mean that the power and HDMI will be at the bottom.

Any of them will work with the Pi and display, it is only whether they need the lcd_rotate option specified that really changes.
The viewing angle is pretty good even when upside down - check for yourself whether it is sufficient for your use case before worrying too much.

Pavel_47

Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:00 pm

From the cutout it's not quite clear how to embed Raspberry Pi 3 card into cavity ... because some kind of plastic sheet (marked by red cross) blocks the cavity. Also holes for USB/Ethernet aren't seen. Do you have the same disposition on your model ?

6by9

Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:22 pm

Pavel_47 wrote:From the cutout it's not quite clear how to embed Raspberry Pi 3 card into cavity ... because some kind of plastic sheet (marked by red cross) blocks the cavity. Also holes for USB/Ethernet aren't seen. Do you have the same disposition on your model ?
I don't have one of those to say.
My observations are based on the cutout above the big hole (that you've marked with a big red X) which looks slightly ribbed and with an X embedded in the plastic. I would expect that to allow the ribbon cables from the display itself and touchscreen to be routed into the controller board. How the Pi mounts up I have no idea, but typically it is screwed to the back of the display itself and on top of the controller board (as with the Pimoroni case).

Pavel_47

Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:37 pm

Ok, thanks

RomoBoom

Wed Feb 27, 2019 6:13 pm

I dot have permission to change the text :|

Edit:
:lol: i just read through the rest of the comments :? and found that you have to change it in a mac computer (also some others)
and i now feel like an idiot :oops: :oops: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Last edited by RomoBoom on Wed Feb 27, 2019 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RomoBoom

Wed Feb 27, 2019 6:35 pm

6by9 wrote:
Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:44 am
Documentation: https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... /README.md
Screen Orientation

LCD displays have an optimum viewing angle, and depending on how the screen is mounted it may be necessary to change the orientation of the display to give the best results. By default, the Raspbery Pi display and Raspberry Pi are set up to work best when viewed from slightly above, for example on a desktop. If viewing from below, you can physically rotate the display, and then tell the system software to compensate by running the screen upside down.

To flip the display, add, anywhere in the file \boot\config.txt, the following line:

lcd_rotate=2

This will vertically flip the LCD and the touch screen, compensating for the physical orientation of the display.
in a computer, not a Raspberry pi

rpdom

Wed Feb 27, 2019 7:15 pm

RomoBoom wrote:
A Raspberry Pi is a computer.
Unreadable squiggle

6by9

Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:34 pm

rpdom wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 7:15 pm
RomoBoom wrote:
A Raspberry Pi is a computer.

Code: Select all

sudo nano /boot/config.txt
will open an editor and allow you to add that option on your Pi. You do have to be able to edit the file upside down, or temporarily invert the display.

Return to “Official Foundation Display”