MrBool

Kernel build - two different model

Tue May 23, 2017 10:46 am

I have to prepare one image for two different model od Raspberry with custom build kernel. First device is RASPBERRY PI 1 so I have to use bcmrpi_defconfig, second device is RASPBERRY PI 3, in this case I have to use bcm2709_defconfig. First kernel file is kernel.img and for second is kernel7.img. During boot the appropriate kernel file is use and there is no problem. But what about modules and dtbs? Do I have to make modules and dtbs for both configuration?
I ask bacause I noticed when I build modules with bcm2709_defconfig and then I use this modules with kernel build with bcmrpi_defconfig there is problem with load modules.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Re: Kernel build - two different model

Tue May 23, 2017 12:05 pm

MrBool wrote:I have to prepare one image for two different model od Raspberry with custom build kernel. First device is RASPBERRY PI 1 so I have to use bcmrpi_defconfig, second device is RASPBERRY PI 3, in this case I have to use bcm2709_defconfig. First kernel file is kernel.img and for second is kernel7.img. During boot the appropriate kernel file is use and there is no problem. But what about modules and dtbs? Do I have to make modules and dtbs for both configuration?
I ask bacause I noticed when I build modules with bcm2709_defconfig and then I use this modules with kernel build with bcmrpi_defconfig there is problem with load modules.
Yes, the modules and dtbs do need to be rebuilt for each configuration.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

Return to “General discussion”