AshPowers

How do I change the splash screen? RPi3Bv1.2 Jessie

Thu May 18, 2017 11:47 pm

You would think that this subject title would come up in a search here, but no joy. It would also be nice if everyone would stick to a standard of specifically stating what hardware and OS version they are speaking to when providing help. Not all configuration options work the same on all versions of the OS and hardware.

I've searched for this (subject title) on the web and have found a few different personal pages where people have put together cryptic and very assumptive steps for how to do this. I did find one page from back in 2012 that was very well put together but it does not work and I presume this has to do with changes to the RPi since that page was put together.

So, for the love of fruit, will someone please put together a specific list of instructions on how to change the splash screen on the RPi 3B v1.2 running Jessie??

1) How do you turn off the initial zoomed-in 4-pixel "rainbow square" from being displayed? Changes I've made to the /boot/config.txt file have not worked.

2) How do you turn off the raspberry image that is overlaid on the bootup text? (this also seems to be convoluted across different OS versions)

3) How do you turn off all of the bootup text? (convoluted, again)

4) I have also come across a few pages where people replaced the splash screen with a video. It would be nice for that process to also be detailed in this post.

Thank you!
Last edited by AshPowers on Thu May 18, 2017 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

runboy93

Re: How do I change the splash screen? RPi3Bv1.2 Jessie

Thu May 18, 2017 11:49 pm

Very good guide to "clean" boot process:

https://yingtongli.me/blog/2016/12/21/splash.html

AshPowers

Fri May 19, 2017 12:07 am

runboy93 wrote:Very good guide to "clean" boot process:

https://yingtongli.me/blog/2016/12/21/splash.html
LOL, that is the one I followed and does not work....

**WRONG** Disable the Raspberry Pi ‘color test’ by adding the line disable_splash=1 to /boot/config.txt.

**WRONG** Disable the various bits of output from the kernel and friends by adding consoleblank=0 loglevel=1 quiet to /boot/cmdline.txt.

**WRONG!** Does not work.
Want to Change the Splash Graphic?
This is quite easy. All you have to do is replace /usr/share/plymouth/themes/pix/splash.png with your chosen graphic. It must be called splash.png though.
Last edited by AshPowers on Fri May 19, 2017 12:54 am, edited 3 times in total.

runboy93

Fri May 19, 2017 12:15 am

Very strange, even included on

https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... xt/boot.md

Edit: Raspbian Jessie issue, no can do.
Last edited by runboy93 on Fri May 19, 2017 12:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

AshPowers

Fri May 19, 2017 12:17 am

runboy93 wrote:Very strange, even included on

https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... xt/boot.md
Yup. My thoughts exactly. I've put that line, checked it three times that it is spelled correctly, and no caps, just as is shown, and still does not work.

runboy93

Fri May 19, 2017 12:23 am

Not really boot tweaks, but some maybe performance wise tweaks (less stuff happening in the PIXEL desktop)

"Pixel tweaks"

Code: Select all

sudo nano ~/.themes/PiX/gtk-2.0/gtkrc

gtk-enable-animations = 0
gtk-enable-event-sounds = 0
gtk-enable-input-feedback-sounds = 0
gtk-enable-tooltips = 0
gtk-error-bell = 0
gtk-menu-popdown-delay = 0
gtk-menu-popup-delay = 0
gtk-recent-files-limit = 0
gtk-recent-files-max-age = 0

sudo nano ~/.config/gtk-3.0/settings.ini

[Settings]
gtk-enable-animations = 0
gtk-enable-event-sounds = 0
gtk-enable-input-feedback-sounds = 0
gtk-enable-tooltips = 0
gtk-error-bell = 0
gtk-menu-popdown-delay = 0
gtk-menu-popup-delay = 0
gtk-recent-files-enabled = 0
gtk-recent-files-limit = 0
gtk-recent-files-max-age = 0

MrEngman

Fri May 19, 2017 12:33 am

Just saw this post so thought I'd give it a try.

Works for me. :D

Added line:-

disable_splash=1

to the end of /boot/config.txt and the splash screen doesn't appear. Change to:-

disable_splash=0

and it's back again.

MrEngman
Simplicity is a prerequisite for reliability. Edsger W. Dijkstra

Please post ALL technical questions on the forum. Please Do Not send private messages.

AshPowers

Fri May 19, 2017 12:47 am

When I say splash screen, I am referring to the rainbow square on bootup.

What are you referring to?

runboy93

Fri May 19, 2017 12:55 am

I think he mean "color test"

MrEngman

Fri May 19, 2017 1:21 am

AshPowers wrote:When I say splash screen, I am referring to the rainbow square on bootup.

The big rainbow square when the Pi starts to boot.

MrEngman

Please post ALL technical questions on the forum. Please Do Not send private messages.

AshPowers

Fri May 19, 2017 7:01 am

MrEngman wrote:
AshPowers wrote:When I say splash screen, I am referring to the rainbow square on bootup.

The big rainbow square when the Pi starts to boot.

MrEngman
What RPi are you running and what OS?

MrEngman

Fri May 19, 2017 7:22 am

2017-04-10-raspbian-jessie on a Pi 3B

MrEngman

PeterO

Fri May 19, 2017 7:39 am

The "rainbow square" is produced by GPU code in "start.elf". It is drawn by the GPU before any of the ARM cores are even turned on. I don't believe it is possible to turn it off without a custom version of start.elf.
PeterO
Discoverer of the PI2 XENON DEATH FLASH!
Interests: C,Python,PIC,Electronics,Ham Radio (G0DZB),1960s British Computers.
"The primary requirement (as we've always seen in your examples) is that the code is readable. " Dougie Lawson

MrEngman

Fri May 19, 2017 11:14 am

PeterO wrote:The "rainbow square" is produced by GPU code in "start.elf". It is drawn by the GPU before any of the ARM cores are even turned on. I don't believe it is possible to turn it off without a custom version of start.elf.
PeterO
Really? Well I can turn it off as I pointed out in my previous post using instructions at the end of the page here. No other changes necessary.

Using a Pi 3B with image 2017-04-10-raspbian-jessie. It's connected to a keyboard, mouse and hdmi monitor. Has an Approx wifi adapter connected using 8192eu driver I compile and the built in Broadcom wifi is blacklisted.

MrEngman

PeterO

Fri May 19, 2017 11:34 am

MrEngman wrote:
PeterO wrote:The "rainbow square" is produced by GPU code in "start.elf". It is drawn by the GPU before any of the ARM cores are even turned on. I don't believe it is possible to turn it off without a custom version of start.elf.
PeterO
Really? Well I can turn it off as I pointed out in my previous post using instructions at the end of the page here. No other changes necessary.
Well that's something I learned today 8-) Last time I looked (which thinking about it may have been a few years ago now) I couldn't find a way to do it...
PeterO
"The primary requirement (as we've always seen in your examples) is that the code is readable. " Dougie Lawson

AshPowers

Fri May 19, 2017 1:29 pm

MrEngman wrote:
PeterO

Using a Pi 3B with image 2017-04-10-raspbian-jessie. It's connected to a keyboard, mouse and hdmi monitor. Has an Approx wifi adapter connected using 8192eu driver I compile and the built in Broadcom wifi is blacklisted.

MrEngman
This is strange. It does not work for me at all. Last night I built a totally fresh system, did all of the updates, did a firmware update (sudo rpi-update) and still no joy. Why does this work for you and not on my system?

PeterO

Fri May 19, 2017 1:39 pm

AshPowers wrote: This is strange. It does not work for me at all. Last night I built a totally fresh system, did all of the updates, did a firmware update (sudo rpi-update) and still no joy. Why does this work for you and not on my system?
What exactly did you do change ?
PeterO

runboy93

Fri May 19, 2017 2:40 pm

Why you want remove boot things anyway? It doesn't speed up boot, only thing that speed boot by very small marginal is:

boot_delay=0
But it might be harmful for SD cards (because they are slow to start), maybe when using SSD or some other HDD.

AshPowers

Fri May 19, 2017 3:31 pm

PeterO wrote:
AshPowers wrote: This is strange. It does not work for me at all. Last night I built a totally fresh system, did all of the updates, did a firmware update (sudo rpi-update) and still no joy. Why does this work for you and not on my system?
PeterO
disable_splash=1 in config.txt

Does not work for me. Still get the square rainbow on startup.

AshPowers

Fri May 19, 2017 3:34 pm

runboy93 wrote:Why you want remove boot things anyway? It doesn't speed up boot, only thing that speed boot by very small marginal is:

boot_delay=0
But it might be harmful for SD cards (because they are slow to start), maybe when using SSD or some other HDD.
I'm not trying to make it any faster at all. It is plenty fast for what I am doing. For the application I am building this for, I do not want any imagery or text scrolling on the screen for startup. I want it to have a minimal visual footprint on startup until it loads my dashboard application. If I could get it to simply display an image during the entire boot process until my program loads, that would be EVEN BETTER.

MrEngman

Fri May 19, 2017 3:35 pm

AshPowers wrote:
PeterO wrote:
PeterO
disable_splash=1 in config.txt

Does not work for me. Still get the square rainbow on startup.
How did you install your Raspbian image? Did you install it directly or did you use NOOBS?

MrEngman

MrEngman

Fri May 19, 2017 8:59 pm

Been playing round a bit more.

I created an SD card using NOOBS 2.4.0 and installed Raspbian. After booting Raspbian I edited file /boot/config.txt and added the line disable_splash=1 at the end of the file to disable the Splash screen.

After rebooting the Pi the spash screen still appeared.

The partition set up using NOOBS is rather different and NOOBS has it's own boot partition which then boots Raspbian which uses it's own boot partition.

However, I then did some messing about and got the Spash screen to NOT display when booting NOOBS. Basically I had to create a config.txt file in the NOOBS boot partition. This can be done using the following commands

sudo mount /dev/mmcblk0p1 /mnt
sudo nano /mnt/config.txt
and then added the line disable_splash=1 to the file. I then saved the file and terminated the editor.

I then rebooted the Pi and the splash screen was disabled and did not appear when booting.

MrEngman

AshPowers

Fri May 19, 2017 9:18 pm

Mr. Engman,

Now THAT is the kind of help response composition that I think everyone should strive for! :) Well done, and thank you! I will give this a shot in a little bit. :)

MrEngman

Fri May 19, 2017 9:20 pm

AshPowers wrote:Mr. Engman,

Now THAT is the kind of help response composition that I think everyone should strive for! :) Well done, and thank you! I will give this a shot in a little bit. :)
No problem. I just hope you find it works. :lol: :lol:

AshPowers

Wed May 24, 2017 3:55 am

That worked perfectly!
Now, about the next screen, the white screen with the raspberry in the middle and the "press shift" on it. How do I nix that?

Return to “Beginners”