bryanpkc

Booting the Raspberry Pi into big-endian mode?

Mon May 15, 2017 4:28 pm

Has any one successfully booted the Pi in big-endian mode and built/installed a big-endian Raspbian or any Linux on it?

timrowledge

Re: Booting the Raspberry Pi into big-endian mode?

Tue May 16, 2017 5:20 pm

Why?
Making Smalltalk on ARM since 1986; making your Scratch better since 2012

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Tue May 16, 2017 6:22 pm

bryanpkc wrote:Has any one successfully booted the Pi in big-endian mode and built/installed a big-endian Raspbian or any Linux on it?
Not that I have heard off. Doesn't sound like a simply task...
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

bryanpkc

Sun May 21, 2017 7:04 pm

timrowledge wrote:Why?
Because I have a couple of Pi's lying around, and have a project to build/debug big-endian code...

MikeDK

Mon May 22, 2017 2:24 pm

The Endianness is a property of the CPU ... and on the Raspberry it is Little-Endian.

It is not possible to boot into "Big-Endian"-Mode, because the CPU won't understand one single instruction.

Martin Frezman

Mon May 22, 2017 2:30 pm

MikeDK wrote:The Endianness is a property of the CPU ... and on the Raspberry it is Little-Endian.
ISTR that there do (or did) actually exist CPUs that could be run in either big or small endian mode. So OP's question is not *completely* from outer space.

It'd be interesting to know what OP is actually trying to achieve here...
If this post appears in the wrong forums category, my apologies.

timrowledge

Wed May 24, 2017 5:52 pm

ARM has been able to do either big or little-endian for some time now. To quote from the ARM ARM DDI 0406A, p. AppxG-7 -
G.3.2 Endian support
ARMv6 supports the same Big Endian (BE) and Little Endian (LE) support model as ARMv7, see Endian support on page A3-7. It is IMPLEMENTATION DEFINED if the legacy big endian model (BE-32) defined for ARMv4 and ARMv5 is also supported. For more information about BE-32 see Endian support on
page AppxH-7.
For configuration and control information, see Endian configuration and control on page AppxG-17.
I really don't understand why anyone would ever use bigendian. It is clearly a violation of the Natural Order Of Things and quite possibly the ill-advised use of it has caused fractures in reality that have left us with the current level of insanity in the political world. Nasty gibbering things from the dungeon dimensions.

bryanpkc

Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:40 pm

The network byte order is big-endian, so many embedded network controllers and older (non-smart) cell phones run on big-endian hardware. An ARM CPU can be booted in either big-endian or little-endian mode; it is up to the bootloader to decide which mode the hardware should be in. I was just wondering if the Raspberry Pi bootloader offered a configurable option, and whether any of its other peripherals would prevent the use of big-endian mode. I have a feeling that the GPU would be an obstacle, since it's most likely little-endian only.

timrowledge

Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:15 pm

bryanpkc wrote:The network byte order is big-endian.
Irrelevant; ARM provides instructions for all sorts of ways to handle big-endian-evil.

For example
REV Rd, Rm ARMARM DDI0406Q p. A8-270
REVSH Rd, Rm ibid. pp A8-274-5
REV16 Rd, Rm ibid. pp. A8-272-3

Unless you have some near-magical way to get data in and out so fast that spending an instruction endian-swapping before and after any other manipulation is significant, I don't see much likelihood that you need anything else.

beta-tester

Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:22 pm

bryanpkc wrote:Has any one successfully booted the Pi in big-endian mode and built/installed a big-endian Raspbian or any Linux on it?
what sense does it make, when you use a rich opperating system ontop.
i would understand, when you are using your RPi in "raw-/bare- mode" without an opperating system (visit that section Bare metal).
{ I only give negative feedback }
RPi Model B (rev1, 256MB) & B (rev2, 512MB) & B+, RPi2B (1GB), 64GB microSDXC1 class 10, HDMI 1920x1080, keyboard-mouse-combo (wireless), PiCamera, ethernet-cable, 5V/1.2A power supply, Wifi dongle (rt5370)

Return to “Advanced users”