Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
The following extra packages will be installed:
  libjack-jackd2-0
Suggested packages:
  jackd2 avahi-daemon icecast2 pulseaudio
The following NEW packages will be installed:
  libjack-jackd2-0 mpd
0 upgraded, 2 newly installed, 0 to remove and 12 not upgraded.
Need to get 191 kB/386 kB of archives.
After this operation, 1,078 kB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]? Y
Err http://mirrordirector.raspbian.org/raspbian/ wheezy/main libjack-jackd2-0 armhf 1.9.8~dfsg.4+20120529git007cdc37-1
  404  Not Found
Failed to fetch http://mirrordirector.raspbian.org/raspbian/pool/main/j/jackd2/libjack-jackd2-0_1.9.8~dfsg.4+20120529git007cdc37-1_armhf.deb  404  Not Found
E: Unable to fetch some archives, maybe run apt-get update or try with --fix-missing?
While trying to install mpd and mpc I am getting a "Not found" error for dependent libraries.
The file does not exist on the url but one with -4. Any ideas what I can do?
Thanks in advance.

bredman

Re: Error 404 not found while apt-get install

Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:15 am

It looks like your package lists are out of date. Did you remember to update the package lists before the install?

The command is
sudo apt-get update

atzensepp

Mon Sep 24, 2012 2:20 pm

Yes I also did an apt-get update. Same result.

My suspicion is that it might be due to a out-dated wheezy release. Will try the latest one and look if this works.

poopsmith

Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:06 pm

I'm having the same issue
also my apt-get update dosent work
please post if you figure this out :)

atzensepp

Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:02 pm

The problem in my case was an outdated wheezy image. After using the most recent one (2012-09_18) everything worked perfectly.

prabhatlall

Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:28 am

Running update before upgrade worked.

chaoticlapras

Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:53 am

Seems solved, but just to throw my two cents in there - either apt-get is connecting to the wrong URL (whether it needs updating or is a problem on their side) or you broke everything and the world blew up.

I don't see why changing your pi version would affect it - it uses the same database, but apt-get is already updated.

sudo raspi-update (I think) should update RPi anyway. Then try, apt-get dist-upgrade, apt-get update, apt-get upgrade, apt-get install (package).
This space is reserved for something actually useful, and will probably never be filled.

DirkS

Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:00 am

chaoticlapras wrote:Seems solved, but just to throw my two cents in there
Do you realise that you're helping to resurrect a topic that has been dead for almost 2 years? :roll:

fruitoftheloom

Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:18 am

DirkS wrote:
Do you realise that you're helping to resurrect a topic that has been dead for almost 2 years? :roll:
Everyone is an expert :roll:
Retired disgracefully.....

chaoticlapras

Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:26 am

fruitoftheloom wrote:
DirkS wrote:
Everyone is an expert :roll:
Oh gawd. NTS: Don't reply to this post and always look at the OP year.
This space is reserved for something actually useful, and will probably never be filled.

dr_xemacs

Mon May 14, 2018 6:12 am

I also want to resurrect this topic. Hear me! A topic is not dead until it's dead. And as said before - Everyone is an expert.

It is a fact that apt-get update doesn't work for some people (including me). It is obviously an error - for real - when you get error 404 during an update procedure. This means that those building the system didn't think of back-compatibility and similar issues. They leave less cunning people in the dark.

I have built a system for my home using a Raspberry - including VPN and HTTP-server so I can monitor my home. It was a system working fine for me - until suddenly I couldn't upgrade it anymore - a procedure that is required when installing new software or - well - upgrading the one you have.

The issue is delicate! We have some cherished machines with a lot of software installed. We want to keep these machines as they are, only upgrade them when required. There is only one means of upgrading - and that is apt-get. When this tool doesn't work we are lame! Does anyone have a nice working method for this? I would guess a complete upgrade to a later distro should do the trick for most people, but can you do that without losing the part of the system that you built yourself, like installed software and settings?

Anyone not up to nagging ignorance please respond here.

rpdom

Mon May 14, 2018 6:42 am

dr_xemacs wrote:
It is a fact that apt-get update doesn't work for some people (including me). It is obviously an error - for real - when you get error 404 during an update procedure. This means that those building the system didn't think of back-compatibility and similar issues. They leave less cunning people in the dark.

The issue is delicate! We have some cherished machines with a lot of software installed. We want to keep these machines as they are, only upgrade them when required. There is only one means of upgrading - and that is apt-get. When this tool doesn't work we are lame! Does anyone have a nice working method for this? I would guess a complete upgrade to a later distro should do the trick for most people, but can you do that without losing the part of the system that you built yourself, like installed software and settings?
If you have a problem with apt-get update, please start a new topic. It is very unlikely to be related to this ancient issue.

What error are you actually getting? It might help us diagnose the issue if you provide some information, rather than going off on a rant.

Is it apt-get update or apt-get upgrade that is failing for you?

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Mon May 14, 2018 8:56 am

dr_xemacs wrote:
I also want to resurrect this topic. Hear me! A topic is not dead until it's dead. And as said before - Everyone is an expert.

I have built a system for my home using a Raspberry - including VPN and HTTP-server so I can monitor my home. It was a system working fine for me - until suddenly I couldn't upgrade it anymore - a procedure that is required when installing new software or - well - upgrading the one you have.

Anyone not up to nagging ignorance please respond here.
Please don't resurrect old topics - most of the information in there is going to be out of date.

Just start a new thread - I'll respond there if I can help. I've locked this one, it's too old.

(and adjusting your attitude slightly may well be more likely to garner some expert help)
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

Return to “Troubleshooting”