doublehp

Re: broken filesystem, e2fsck can not fix things

Thu May 17, 2018 10:42 am

The internal serial port is not able to work with my application. So, AMA0 can not be used.

The same pi had two corruption in 6 weeks time, using the FTDI. So FTDI is not a fix for me. And internal serial port is not a solution.

I am pretty sure that one pi worked with the internal port, but, maybe it was a pi1 or pi2, and maybe the one that crashed again yesterday was a pi3. So, maybe the serial port on pi3 has less capabilities than on pi1 or pi2 ... or the custom ROM provided by KeiDei messes the serial port.

But I can not compare more criteria:
- one pi that never had any trouble has heat sinks, and average temperature over the month at 41°C, burnt with rpi_35_B_B+_PI2.img
- the pi that crashed 3 times in 6 months does not have heat sink, has an average temp of 49°C, and is using ROM rpi_35_v6_0_2_jessie_kernel_4_4_11.img

I remember that those two pi can not use the same ROM because they are using different versions of KEIDEI screens; if I use the image rpi-35-B on the pi that just crashed, I know the LCD won't work.

ejolson

Thu May 17, 2018 1:53 pm

doublehp wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 10:42 am
I am pretty sure that one pi worked with the internal port, but, maybe it was a pi1 or pi2, and maybe the one that crashed again yesterday was a pi3. So, maybe the serial port on pi3 has less capabilities than on pi1 or pi2 ...
The SOC has 2 serial ports. On models with built-in WiFi, the good serial port is connected to the WiFi chip and the other routed out through GPIO. On models without WiFi the good serial port is available on GPIO. If I recall correctly, on WiFi models it is also possible to disable the WiFi chip and route the good serial port to GPIO without modifying the hardware.

I'm using a Pi 3B as a simple firewall with WiFi as the upstream and wired networking for the LAN. It crashed about once a month until I under clocked the CPU to 900MHz. From what I understand, this is a known issue with the power circuitry on the 3B that is fixed with the 3B+. Since you don't need the extra speed, you could try under clocking and see if the stability improves.
Last edited by ejolson on Thu May 17, 2018 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

doublehp

Thu May 17, 2018 2:12 pm

Please define crash. This thread is not about system hang or kernel panic or system freeze. This topic is about the storage getting corrupted and unbootable ( / getmessed up, and fsck is unable to fix it ; have to reburn the SD).

I striked my first phrase because after triple check, I had been using the wrong pins; I am writing a new SD; will re-test the serial port on good pins tomorow.

ejolson

Thu May 17, 2018 2:48 pm

doublehp wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 2:12 pm
Please define crash. This thread is not about system hang or kernel panic or system freeze. This topic is about the storage getting corrupted and unbootable ( / getmessed up, and fsck is unable to fix it ; have to reburn the SD).

I striked my first phrase because after triple check, I had been using the wrong pins; I am writing a new SD; will re-test the serial port on good pins tomorow.
Memory corruption caused by malfunctioning hardware or software can lead to SD card corruption or a system lockup. I'm my case, I was not constantly writing to the SD card, so the memory corruption eventually led to a system crash. In your case you are constantly writing to the SD card, so memory corruption is likely to affect the SD card.

doublehp

Thu May 17, 2018 5:21 pm

Downclocking may produce more stable system; but, *ALL* my Pis are using the SPI, either for LCD, or 1W ... and for most SPI applications, time is critical, and most codes are finely tuned to CPU freq; so, properly coded softwares may accept small downscaling; but severe downscaling will trigger SPI bugs if the CPU freq come below the minimum required limit when 1 bit is sent per CPU cycle (or equivalent matter).

Even when the pi has a dedicated SPI chip, it remains based on the main system clock.

Even if the SPI chip has a buffer, the peripheral has timeouts.

I2C and bus with clock line really help.

Hmmm raspi-config => "this pi can not be overclocked". Probably a limitation of Kedei image (probably to avoid SPI issues). (I checked/tried a few things, really seems a limitation by Kedei).

I have tried again to put my application on the real serial port, and still not working.

Now using a new image version rpi_35_v6_1_2_3_jessie_kernel_4_4_50.rar ; wait and see.

rpi_35_B_B+_PI2.img definitively refuses to work with LCD version 6.2 (hardware version of Kedei). This image is stable since 2 years on pi using older LCDs.

- not a power issue (I have tried boosted 5.5V; added capacitors)
- tried many serial chipset (even FTDI which is said to be more stable produces bugs for me)
- can not downclock
- issue is not related with storage (had the issue on cards which later passed badblock scan successfully)
- had the issue on pi v2 and v3

The pi now using an eMMC did not crash yet.

I have bought a high endurance Sandisc card, but no pi is using it yet.

The only common point is that they are all using a Kedei LCD and disk image, and perform continuous serial port reads.

ejolson

Thu May 17, 2018 8:55 pm

doublehp wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 5:21 pm
Hmmm raspi-config => "this pi can not be overclocked". Probably a limitation of Kedei image (probably to avoid SPI issues)
I think that's a limitation of the raspi-config menu system. What worked for me was to add the line

arm_freq=900

to the /boot/config.txt file and reboot. This makes the Pi 3B clock run at the same speed as the Pi 2B. If I understood your earlier posts, the Pi 2B is working okay. Therefore, I'd be surprised if using a 900MHz clock on the Pi 3B as well would bother SPI or your video display.

doublehp

Sun May 20, 2018 5:32 pm

No. I won't connect to that pi now to provide logs; I will explain from human memory.

I was unable to find key folders in /sys; could not find any classic directory that usually describe the CPU frequency scaling (based on other pis using non KeDei ROMs). My only way to have an estimation of the CPU speed was the bogomips in /proc/cpuinfo. I have played with arm_freq=XXX and it had no impact on the bogomips; I know it's not a very reliable way to do it, but it was the only available one when /sys has no scaling or freq dir.

RaspiConfig worked once on a pi1 with non KeDei ROM; so i know the feature works. It also work on Armbian using armbianconfig ...

I think that RaspiConfig is trying to read /sys, and it provides a completely appropriate message (for once, an error message is 99% relevant). Message is clear about the fact it can't be done, without being too precise on speculating the cause. It just can't. Why is not his problem. And the manual way confirmed it ... it does not work.

Return to “Troubleshooting”