bijuvjacob

connecting speaker

Sun Apr 09, 2017 4:45 pm

let me know how we can connect an ordinary speaker with raspberry pi3 for getting audio

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: connecting speaker

Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:37 pm

you can't, the RPI has analog audio, but the signal is too weak to drive a speaker, it needs to drive an audio amplifier.
Perhaps it has just enough "drive strength" to drive ear buds, but only just.

Adafruit sells several audio amplifiers, including a cheap one that uses digital audio (I2S) from the PI, and has "class-D" speaker drivers (which means the speakers are driven with a specific "digital" signal, which the speakers themselves convert to analog audio).

Simplest home-brew solution would be to use a classic LM386 speaker driver (or two for stereo).

also you HDMI monitor has speakers, so plugging in the PI to a HDMI monitor is essentially "connecting to speakers". :mrgreen:

fruitoftheloom

Sun Apr 09, 2017 11:25 pm

bijuvjacob wrote:let me know how we can connect an ordinary speaker with raspberry pi3 for getting audio
HDMi Audio is good, you can purchase a splitter box like:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1080P-HDMI-to ... 1726352165
The information is out there....you just have to let it in.

bijuvjacob

Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:57 am

Can we connect Bluetooth speaker

fruitoftheloom

Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:39 am

bijuvjacob wrote:Can we connect Bluetooth speaker
I do not see any reason why not as the RPi 3B has Bluetooth built in ;)

john3voltas

Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:06 pm

fruitoftheloom wrote:

So if we just want to connect a pair of speakers we can simply buy a splitter such as the one you mentioned and then we just drive the HDMI cable from the RPi to the splitter (HDMI IN) and then we can:
- adjust the slider button on the splitter to the 2CH position and connect both RCA connectors directly to the speakers. Even without an amplifier?
or
- adjust the slider button to the 5.1CH position and instead of using the RCA connector we can drive an optical cable from the splitter (SPDIF) to an amplifier and then connect the speakers to the amp.

And in either case we can still connect the HDMI OUT port of the splitter to the TV, right?

And last but not least, in such a setup, can we hear sound coming from the TV internal speakers and from the speakers attached to the splitter both at the same time. You know, like watching a movie and having sound coming simultaneously from the TV and from the external speakers.

klricks

Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:05 am

john3voltas wrote:
........So if we just want to connect a pair of speakers we can simply buy a splitter such as the one you mentioned and then we just drive the HDMI cable from the RPi to the splitter (HDMI IN) and then we can:
- adjust the slider button on the splitter to the 2CH position and connect both RCA connectors directly to the speakers. Even without an amplifier?
No...... The audio out will need to be connected to an amplifier.
john3voltas wrote:
- adjust the slider button to the 5.1CH position and instead of using the RCA connector we can drive an optical cable from the splitter (SPDIF) to an amplifier and then connect the speakers to the amp.
Yes
john3voltas wrote:
And in either case we can still connect the HDMI OUT port of the splitter to the TV, right?
HDMI video Yes..... The description is not clear if audio is passed through in all modes 1, 2, 3?
john3voltas wrote:
And last but not least, in such a setup, can we hear sound coming from the TV internal speakers and from the speakers attached to the splitter both at the same time. You know, like watching a movie and having sound coming simultaneously from the TV and from the external speakers.
If audio is passed through then yes. However you could just connect the amp and speakers to the TV's headphone jack. Then set the output on the TV's OSD config to turn on both TV speakers and headphone jack at the same time. No need for the splitter in that case unless you want SPDIF.
Unless specified otherwise my response is based on the latest and fully updated RPiOS Buster w/ Desktop OS.

W. H. Heydt

Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:36 am

mahjongg wrote:
Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:37 pm
Simplest home-brew solution would be to use a classic LM386 speaker driver (or two for stereo).
I would say that the simplest method is to take a spare pair of self-powered "computer" speakers and connect them. That's probably the cheapest as well. You can get 2 speaker sets in secondhand shops for less than $5.

OutoftheBOTS

Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:01 am

I use Bluetooth speaker as it is the easist and doesn't require any extra hardware over the Bluetooth speaker its self.

I just used the raspbian GUI interface to setup. I just click the bluetooth icon at top right of screen to connect it then I right clicked on the volume icon at top right of screen and selected Bluetooth speaker as audio output.

Imperf3kt

Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:38 am

I'm not 100% sold on the "you _need_ an amplifier" line.

I've had perfectly acceptable results by simply wiring up a 5", 8ohm fullrange speaker to a generic 3.5mm TRS that I salvaged from the cheapest of cheap pair of headphones I hated.

Stripped off the anti-oxidation coating, spliced, soldered and taped the wires, turned the pi volume above 75% and got reasonably loud sound.
55:55:44:44:4C
52:4C:52:42:41

Rose tinted glasses are difficult to see through.

john3voltas

Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:13 am

klricks wrote:
john3voltas wrote:
........So if we just want to connect a pair of speakers we can simply buy a splitter such as the one you mentioned and then we just drive the HDMI cable from the RPi to the splitter (HDMI IN) and then we can:
Wait, now I'm feeling a bit confused.
fruitoftheloom pointed out that we should buy a splitter because HDMI audio is "good".
fruitoftheloom wrote:

So why would I need the splitter if I still can't connect the speakers directly to the RPi?
Is that a matter of analog vs digital audio (TRS vs HDMI)? I don't get it. :?

OutoftheBOTS

Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:24 am

u basically have a few options to connect speakers.

1. Audio jack has mono sound but it has low output so will need an amp to get louder volume.
2. HDMI has both HD visual and surround sound audio (i believe 9 channel audio) but it is encoded to move that much data through the line so HDMI needs a decoder and DAC and amp to get the audio out.
3. Bluetooth speakers (usually have a DAC and amp on the speakers)I assume stereo is possible not sure on max sample rate ( this I find to be the easiest/cheapest)
4. A number of different Hats available that will push audio through the GPIO pins in digital that the hat can convert in analog (DAC) and amplify

davidcoton

Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:31 am

john3voltas wrote:
So why would I need the splitter if I still can't connect the speakers directly to the RPi?
It's a matter of volume. The level of signal from the Pi itself (on TRRS) or from the HDMI splitter is likely to be too low to drive a speaker (it may be designed for headphones, or it may be a "line" level).
A speaker directly on a headphone or line level output may also introduce more distortion. Most(?) of us would be cautious and recommend an amplifier in either case, unless low volume is adequate. However, see Imperf3kt's post above.
OutoftheBOTS wrote: 1. Audio jack has mono sound but it has low output so will need an amp to get louder volume.
The signal on the TRRS connector is stereo (plus video). It is designed so that a standard TRS stereo cable will work, the video signal is shorted but the Pi doesn't object.
Location: 345th cell on the right of the 210th row of L2 cache

OutoftheBOTS

Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:59 am

Thanks for the correction "TRRS connector is stereo (plus video)" I wasn't aware of this.

klricks

Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:14 pm

john3voltas wrote:
klricks wrote:
john3voltas wrote:
Wait, now I'm feeling a bit confused.
fruitoftheloom pointed out that we should buy a splitter because HDMI audio is "good".
fruitoftheloom wrote:

In theory the audio derived from HDMI is better quality than the analog audio from the RPi TRRS connector. Whenever you see the red and white RCA type audio jacks that is almost always 'line' level intended to be connected to an audio amp of some sort.
Unless specified otherwise my response is based on the latest and fully updated RPiOS Buster w/ Desktop OS.

john3voltas

Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:47 am

klricks wrote:
In theory the audio derived from HDMI is better quality than the analog audio from the RPi TRRS connector. Whenever you see the red and white RCA type audio jacks that is almost always 'line' level intended to be connected to an audio amp of some sort.
So, summarizing it for a big ignorant like me, one could actually use the:
- Raspberry HAT, like a Hifiberry which can then be directly connected to the speakers
- TRRS port, which outputs analog stereo and must be connected to an amp
- HDMI port, which needs to go through some sort of device to convert from HDMI to RCA and it also must then be connected to an amp

Since I don't like the HAT approach and since the TRRS probably delivers worse quality than the HDMI, I will definitely go with the HDMI port and a converter.
Should I buy any converter?
The one posted here earlier (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1080P-HDMI-to ... 1726352165) apparently is "only" 1080p. I've noticed others on ebay/amazon which can do 2K and 4K...
But I'm particularly worried about the CEC feature. Is there any risk that I loose CEC if I install this kind of converter?
Would this one also be a good choice since it can do 4K? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4K-2K-3D-HDMI ... 2457616152
Thanks in advance.
Cheers

fruitoftheloom

Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:51 am

john3voltas wrote:
klricks wrote:
So, summarizing it for a big ignorant like me, one could actually use the:
- Raspberry HAT, like a Hifiberry which can then be directly connected to the speakers
- TRRS port, which outputs analog stereo and must be connected to an amp
- HDMI port, which needs to go through some sort of device to convert from HDMI to RCA and it also must then be connected to an amp

Since I don't like the HAT approach and since the TRRS probably delivers worse quality than the HDMI, I will definitely go with the HDMI port and a converter.
Should I buy any converter?
The one posted here earlier (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1080P-HDMI-to ... 1726352165) apparently is "only" 1080p. I've noticed others on ebay/amazon which can do 2K and 4K...
But I'm particularly worried about the CEC feature. Is there any risk that I loose CEC if I install this kind of converter?
Would this one also be a good choice since it can do 4K? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4K-2K-3D-HDMI ... 2457616152
Thanks in advance.
Cheers
Raspberry Pi's only support up to HDMi 1080p natively, hence why suggested something like the convertor box above, as it splits the Audio and Video signal ;)

klricks

Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:59 pm

john3voltas wrote:
- HDMI port, which needs to go through some sort of device to convert from HDMI to RCA and it also must then be connected to an amp....
Most HDMI computer monitors and all HDMI TV's have built in speakers so no need for the splitter unless you are using a DVI monitor or you want to use an additional sound system such as a speaker bar. Also many HDMI TV's have a headphone out jack that can be connected to a secondary audio system.

john3voltas

Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:07 pm

fruitoftheloom wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:51 am
Raspberry Pi's only support up to HDMi 1080p natively, hence why suggested something like the convertor box above, as it splits the Audio and Video signal ;)
No problem. I acknowledge that the current Pi 3 only does 1080p. But in the near future we may get a new Pi capable of 2K or even 4K. And then I might want to upgrade the Pi. And then I will realize that I also have to upgrade the converter to get 2K or 4K.
Right now there is no Pi capable of 2K or 4K which means I can't buy it. But right now there are converters capable of 2K and 4K. Might be a good bet planning for the near future, not having to spend more money when I upgrade the Pi. ;-)
What do you think about the converter that I posted the link? Is it the same thing as the one you had posted apart from the resolution?
klricks wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:59 pm
Most HDMI computer monitors and all HDMI TV's have built in speakers so no need for the splitter unless you are using a DVI monitor or you want to use an additional sound system such as a speaker bar. Also many HDMI TV's have a headphone out jack that can be connected to a secondary audio system.
I'm not sure I follow your rational. I want to connect the Pi to an HiFi stereo amp with a pair of speakers and for that I am not going to be relying on the TV integrated amp.
This way I'll be able to use the Pi to watch a bit of TV, listen to some proper music in HiFi stereo and use the surround when I watch a movie.

OutoftheBOTS

Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:38 pm

Sometimes real life reality can kick in.

You can have massive data rates like 4k but any system is only as strong as its weakest link. Unless you have ears that that have sensitivity in the top slither of a percent of the human race you won't tell the difference except the cost to your wallet and the time taken to source the hardware. Also if your going to have a super high data rate then connect it to anything but the most expensive top performing array of speakers (different sizes for different freq of sound) again the speakers can't can't produce any better sound.

In the end you can spend a lot of time sourcing and a lot of money buying 4k but in the end the only difference you will have is the cardboard box it arrived in has the words 4K written on it

john3voltas

Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:40 pm

OutoftheBOTS wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:38 pm
In the end you can spend a lot of time sourcing and a lot of money buying 4k but in the end the only difference you will have is the cardboard box it arrived in has the words 4K written on it
Sure, it's all in perspective.
I don't want to buy a 10€ converter and then if my TV set suddenly dies and I'm forced to buy a new TV much earlier than due date (probably a 2K) find myself stuck with a 1080p converter. I would probably feel stupid for having a 2K TV with a 1080p converter and I would have to go spend another 25€ to get one that says it can handle 2K. Not that I can see the difference between a 1080, a 2K and a 4K TV set. But I would feel stupid just the same. ;-)
Besides, the converter that I linked here says something about CEC which is something that I would very much like to keep working in case I buy one of these converters. I'm even going to ask the seller what they mean by "HDMI CEC function". It would be excellent if it was able to switch from 2CH to 5.1CH through CEC, right? ;-)

Right now I would really like to build a small and cheap system, with the Pi as the media player, and buy a small amp and a decent set of speakers to go with it just for music.
Surround sound has absolutely no priority here but I'd like to leave the door open to get there some day.
Do you guys have any advise on what to buy in terms of amp/speakers? It would be a really cool to build it myself but I don't have much time to tinker with the soldering iron these days.

RiddlesandBits

Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:14 am

Perhaps I'm missing something here but if all you want is a media player why not just hook up your Pi to an entertainment center hooked up to your TV thru HDMI. Then you can run TV, Video, Kodi, Bluetooth etc.

:?:

Return to “General discussion”