ThatGuy7

Best method for transferring files from computer to RPi?

Sat Apr 08, 2017 1:22 am

This is probably a silly question, but I know so little about this stuff and I'm quite confused. On the Remote Access page, there's four different ways to transfer files. I'd imagine I'm not going to be using FTP (am I?), so of SFTP, SCP, SSHFS, which one should I use? Which one is the easiest to use?

If it makes any difference, I'm on Windows 10.

DougieLawson

Re: Best method for transferring files from computer to RPi?

Sat Apr 08, 2017 8:40 am

Install filezilla on Windows and connect to your RPi's IP address (sftp://raspberrypi.local or sftp://192.168.3.14) with user=pi, password=raspberry (if you've not changed it). That will use sftp without you needing to do anything special.

https://filezilla-project.org/
Any language using left-hand whitespace for syntax is ridiculous

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.
Fake doctors - are all on my foes list.

Any requirement to use a crystal ball or mind reading will result in me ignoring your question.

lmarmisa

Sat Apr 08, 2017 8:42 am

If you wish to share files between Windows and RPi, probably the most useful option is Samba:

http://raspberrywebserver.com/serveradm ... twork.html

However, you can install Ubuntu bash shell on Windows 10 and use scp too:

https://www.howtogeek.com/249966/how-to ... indows-10/

The Ubuntu shell running on W10 has limitations. For example, in relation with ssh/sftp/scp/sshfs, only the client funcionality is available and it is limited to the shell. So, no integration with GUI is supported.

W. H. Heydt

Sat Apr 08, 2017 5:39 pm

I don't think there is a "best" way. Use the one that fits your needs at the moment.

That said,. I use pscp. Also missing from the list is "sneaker net"....copy the files to a removable storage device, then move the device to the target system and read the files off. "Sneaker net" kind of goes along with the old adage: Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes.

MacsandaPi

Sat Apr 08, 2017 8:53 pm

I like and use FileZilla a lot; I also use rsync. I back up my pi's home directory to another computer and find that rsync is faster than FileZilla; I think that's because only the files that have changed since the last backup are copied over.

TideMan

Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:22 pm

And I use WinSCP. It has a very nice GUI. All my RPis are stored there along with their userid/passwords and it just takes a click to connect. I believe it uses SSH.

memilanuk

Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:22 pm

MobaXterm has a pretty slick feature where when you open up an ssh connection, it has a collapsible sidebar that allows drag-n-drop file manipulation and transfer on the remote host.

linux_author

Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:44 pm

sneakernet

:lol:

willie
on the faster-than-a-speeding-thumb-drive Gulf of Mexico

Quinn Mallory

Sun Mar 24, 2019 1:13 pm

memilanuk wrote:
Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:22 pm
MobaXterm has a pretty slick feature where when you open up an ssh connection, it has a collapsible sidebar that allows drag-n-drop file manipulation and transfer on the remote host.
mobaxterm is so slick! Thank you for this suggestion. It automatically pulled in my existing saved Putty sessions, saved my Pi's password when I logged in, and lets me drag/drop updated files to my projects directory as I update them in Atom on my desktop.

This is soooo much faster than uploading to github every time, starting VNC on the Pi, starting my client, and navigating to github on the pi to download the file, rename it, and put it in the folder.

Bradleycooper

Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:48 am

Best method to transfer large files from your PC to anyone onlie is using online file sharing services like filewhopper.com , your files will be transferred securely due to data encryption and no data will be lost

Return to “Beginners”