Sparks135

Bought USB 16gb ssd can't see it on Mac

Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:20 pm

I bought a SanDisk 16gb mSSD PCI USB drive. I can't see it on my Mac but I can see it on my Raspberry Pi 3. I need to format it for the Raspberry Pi 3, but can't figure out how. Is there a format utility hidden? Or another way to do this? Thanks.

fruitoftheloom

Re: Bought USB 16gb ssd can't see it on Mac

Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:38 pm

Sparks135 wrote:I bought a SanDisk 16gb mSSD PCI USB drive. I can't see it on my Mac but I can see it on my Raspberry Pi 3. I need to format it for the Raspberry Pi 3, but can't figure out how. Is there a format utility hidden? Or another way to do this? Thanks.
If you have instaled Raspbian Jessie with Pixel OS you can use gparted:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install gparted
http://gparted.org

Apple OSX Operating System supports FAT32 as do Linux Operating Systems.

FYI Mac and Raspberry Pi are the hardware and both need an Operating System to function...
Last edited by fruitoftheloom on Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Retired disgracefully.....

Sparks135

Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:25 pm

fruitoftheloom wrote:
Sparks135 wrote:I bought a SanDisk 16gb mSSD PCI USB drive. I can't see it on my Mac but I can see it on my Raspberry Pi 3. I need to format it for the Raspberry Pi 3, but can't figure out how. Is there a format utility hidden? Or another way to do this? Thanks.

sudo apt-get update

FYI Mac and Raspberry Pi are the hardware and both need an Operating System to function...
Thank you installing now. I can't figure out why I can see it on my Raspberry Pi 3 but not my Mac.

fruitoftheloom

Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:54 pm

Sparks135 wrote:
fruitoftheloom wrote:

sudo apt-get update

Thank you installing now. I can't figure out why I can see it on my Raspberry Pi 3 but not my Mac.
OSX has native support for certain file systems (I am sure it is somewhere on the Apple Website), the MAC has no support as it is the hardware......

Natively most Linux Operating Systems support EXT and FAT file systems....
Retired disgracefully.....

Sparks135

Fri Apr 07, 2017 11:58 pm

I had to do it the hard way. I put the SSD in an old mac with Mountain Lion, formated it as Mac Guid and then took a blank SD card and put both into the Pi Hub. I used the SD copy utility and copied the blank SD card to the SSD which erased and formatted ast Fat32. I then moved it back to the Mac and renamed it. I now have a functioning SSD. Now I have to figure out how to use it as the main drive. Thanks.

Return to “Beginners”