Scott_Cis

Hello... Where do I start, what are stickies?

Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:53 am

Hi,

A warm Hello to all the community members.

I am Scott Walter. A newbie here. I visited Job board section as i am looking to assist the Job posters with my Skills.

I found this line in first time poster note: "Please read the sticky posts, like the boot problem sticky, before posting non-specific questions."

I didn't get this, could anyone help me to start here in a disciplined order.

Thank you.

Best regards.

texy
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: Hello

Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:23 am

Hi and welcome to the forum.
That just really means to check if your specific problem hasn't already been address in one of the sickies, or other threads.
Apart from that, having a thread title with 'hello', isn't so useful - we do try an make them appropriate to the issue at help ,helping others to decide if to take a look or not.

rgds,
Texy
Various male/female 40- and 26-way GPIO header for sale here ( IDEAL FOR YOUR PiZero ):
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=93&t=147682#p971555

jahboater

Thu Apr 06, 2017 5:41 pm

texy wrote:Hi and welcome to the forum.
That just really means to check if your specific problem hasn't already been address in one of the sickies, or other threads.
Perhaps "stickies"!

DougieLawson

Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:31 pm

The problem is that "stickies" is terrible forum jargon written by techy forumites who've been using these things for years. The new users won't have a clue what a "sticky post" means until they encounter them by accident.

It would be much better if that "Welcome to New Users" post had some html links to places to start reading with a "Start here -->" and a "When you've read that, then read this -->".

The amazing thing here is that we've found a novice user who actually bothered to read that "Welcome to New Users" post that the other hundreds of thousands of forum users have studiously ignored.
Note: Any requirement to use a crystal ball or mind reading will result in me ignoring your question.

Criticising any questions is banned on this forum.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.
All fake doctors are on my foes list.

W. H. Heydt

Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:39 pm

DougieLawson wrote:The problem is that "stickies" is terrible forum jargon written by techy forumites who've been using these things for years. The new users won't have a clue what a "sticky post" means until they encounter them by accident.
The old usenet equivalent was the FAQ. How many people actually *read* the FAQ for any given newsgroup?
The amazing thing here is that we've found a novice user who actually bothered to read that "Welcome to New Users" post that the other hundreds of thousands of forum users have studiously ignored.
Indeed. And he's to be commended for doing so.

blaablaaguy

Re: Hello... Where do I start, what are stickies?

Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:24 pm

Scott_Cis wrote: Theres a "welcom to new users sticky"? I did not know that.
As sticky that is also global (appearing above all topics) is (for example) here:
viewtopic.php?p=95840&f=63#p95840
This signature intentionally left blank.

blaablaaguy

Sat Apr 08, 2017 1:11 pm

blaablaaguy wrote:
As sticky that is also global (appearing above all topics) is (for example) here:

...What just happened? The content in my post was completely different from that, and i didnt edit it.
This signature intentionally left blank.

mikerr

Sat Apr 08, 2017 1:32 pm

DougieLawson wrote:The problem is that "stickies" is terrible forum jargon written by techy forumites who've been using these things for years. The new users won't have a clue what a "sticky post" means until they encounter them by accident.
In the default raspite theme, stickies are titled exactly that, and are stuck to the top of each forum, they contain the most common answers:
in the prosilver theme they're shown as an exclamation mark like this:

Android app - Raspi Card Imager - download and image SD cards - No PC required !

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sat Apr 08, 2017 1:38 pm

blaablaaguy wrote:
blaablaaguy wrote:

...What just happened? The content in my post was completely different from that, and i didnt edit it.
I replied with a quote with that text, but something must have gone wrong. came here suspecting to see my post, but was surprised to see it wasn't posted under my name....

Return to “General discussion”