lakeuk

My Lego Case Effort

Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:18 pm

Had been treating my caseless Pi with kid gloves till last weekend when I decided to dig out my old lego and after a few tweaks finished up with this effort which the Pi fits snuggle into - Full Photo Set

notarat

Re: My Lego Case Effort

Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:17 pm

I like it! It is nice to see so many different users who go the lego route, and end up with totally different looking cases.

I did much the same, and then last night when my powered USB hub arrived, I built it into the case. It sits on top of the pi unit.

Since i had so few pieces, I went a little crazy at Amazon and ordered 2 of the 700+ buckets, the mobile police command center, a 400+ bucket, and the Police Headquarters sets.

I'm not sure what I'll end up with, but I am going to integrate the USB hub, an SSD, a 6-in-1 card reader,and a USB TV Tuner (or I hope to anyway)

malakai

Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:29 pm

I like the design

Got me google searching thinking maybe a Tardis Case but already done :evil:

http://www.raspians.com - always looking for content feel free to ask to have it posted. Or sign up and message me to become a contributor to the site. Raspians is not affiliated with the Raspberry Pi Foundation. (RPi's + You = Raspians)

AusSam74

Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:33 am

notarat couple of questions what was the powered hub that you end up buying - ie model number etc.. about to purchase one..

I assume you run the PI direct from the hub

Also any pictures of the lego case that also encloses the hub !!

Cheers.

Sam

notarat

Fri Sep 21, 2012 3:53 pm

AusSam74 wrote:notarat couple of questions what was the powered hub that you end up buying - ie model number etc.. about to purchase one..

I assume you run the PI direct from the hub

Also any pictures of the lego case that also encloses the hub !!

Cheers.

Sam
I bought the Belkin 4-Port Hi-Speed USB 2.0 Mobile Hub (F5U404-BLK) from Amazon

It looks similar to the schematic below

. Image

notarat

Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:50 pm

Here's a few pics I took today when I got home. The case is more a proof of concept for the SSD Holder and USB Hub Station than anything else.

I used some of the pieces out of the two 704 piece kits to make it. The pieces used to make the case are not among the pieces on the bed.

I may have some work cut out for me this weekend...

AusSam74

Sun Sep 23, 2012 11:15 pm

Very impressive mate....

I haven't really done that much research on the PI but I did get it up and running OpenLec XBMC and it worked fine but a couple of issues - some of my usb devices did not work properly ( usb logitech bluetooth keyboard/mouse ) assume it was a power issue as has been reported by others.. i am going to use a different power supply.. also slow performance could also be a power issue..

also wathcing movies from server over wired network was slow and jumpy.. i can see you are using a SSD is that to store your data ??

I also like the idea of powering the PI from the USB - makes it cleaner and neater...

notarat

Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:02 am

AusSam74 wrote:Very impressive mate....

I haven't really done that much research on the PI but I did get it up and running OpenLec XBMC and it worked fine but a couple of issues - some of my usb devices did not work properly ( usb logitech bluetooth keyboard/mouse ) assume it was a power issue as has been reported by others.. i am going to use a different power supply.. also slow performance could also be a power issue..

also wathcing movies from server over wired network was slow and jumpy.. i can see you are using a SSD is that to store your data ??

I also like the idea of powering the PI from the USB - makes it cleaner and neater...
Depending on how they're connected, there may be issues with some of the logitech units...

I use a powered USB Hub and have the Bluetooth dongle in that. It sems to work well for me.

I used to use Raspbian XBMC but the image corrupted and no matter what I try, I cannot get it installed again. I downloaded and installed Xbian and I am quite happy so far.

I remade my case, yet again, in order to remove the SSD because it is bigger and bulkier than using memory cards.

AusSam74

Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:26 am

[quote][/quote]

I have purchased a powered USB hub so when it arrives I will try that out..
What bluetooth keyboard/mouse do you use ?? I have a mini dinovo but that is for my loung room htpc so for the PI I need to buy another one that has the same functionality.. i like the fact of an all in one device ( keyboard and mouse together )

With xbian installed do you then install XBMC on top of that ?? I like that as gives you flexibility to switch between OS and XBMC. Is that what you do ??

I might just buy a pre-ordered case for the PI not sure yet... something neat and tidy and looks good.. the ideas is I want to hang up a LCD TV in my other room and have the PI with velcro so that it can be stuck to the back of the TV or the side... and then play my movies/recorded tv etc... or watch live tv using tvheadend and plex media server of another media server.. do you think i am trying to get too much out of the PI ??

Cheers again.

notarat

Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:32 pm

AusSam74 wrote:
I have purchased a powered USB hub so when it arrives I will try that out..
What bluetooth keyboard/mouse do you use ?? I have a mini dinovo but that is for my loung room htpc so for the PI I need to buy another one that has the same functionality.. i like the fact of an all in one device ( keyboard and mouse together )

With xbian installed do you then install XBMC on top of that ?? I like that as gives you flexibility to switch between OS and XBMC. Is that what you do ??

I might just buy a pre-ordered case for the PI not sure yet... something neat and tidy and looks good.. the ideas is I want to hang up a LCD TV in my other room and have the PI with velcro so that it can be stuck to the back of the TV or the side... and then play my movies/recorded tv etc... or watch live tv using tvheadend and plex media server of another media server.. do you think i am trying to get too much out of the PI ??

Cheers again.
My other HTPC is based on the Asus F1A75 Deluxe motherboard which shipped with a Bluetooth KB/Remote Control.

It was too small for everyday use so I bought a DiNovo Edge and put the stock Asus unit on a shelf until I got the Pi. I tried the Asus it and it worked fine so I continue using it.

The backside of this remote is a full keyboard

The Xbian i installed is setup by default to run XBMC. Since I have another computer right next to my Pi, I downloaded a program called "PuTTY" and I connect and login manually to run console commands on my Pi from the other computer.

It sounds like your plans are do-able. I think you will be able to accomplish what you want, but it may take a little work configuring files and the like.\

Here are a few pics of my latest iteration

AusSam74

Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:26 am

Thanks for your reply - sorry for all the questions but it looks like you are on a similar level to myself - albeit ahead then where I would like to be.

I will have a look at how it performs with powered hub now that it has arrived... Yes I have used Putty before and will look the need to use this - I am not a Linux user but have used SUN OS so I should be ok.

What do you use your PI mainly for ?? Where do you access your media files from ?? A media server or a local USB drive ??

I do like your case very much - have to look at how I am going to case it as soon as everything is setup and working... Do you use wireless or network cable ??

Cheers again.

Return to “Other projects”