knuxyl

[Easy] Chromium with Netflix

Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:53 am

OLD
PLEASE USE KUSTI8 INSTALLER
viewtopic.php?f=63&t=176402
if you have problems with his installer, please try the "Older Chromium Package".

Chromium with Netflix

Thanks to Jessie Smith, jesstelford, aworan, and a special thanks to kusti8 for providing everything needed to put this package together.

This package includes Chromium for Raspbian Jessie (possibly Wheezy) armhf with support for Netflix.

This is the file contents

chromium-browser_56.0.2924.84-0ubuntu0.14.04.1.1011.deb
chromium-browser-user-agent.desktop
install.sh
libgcrypt11_1.5.0-5+deb7u5_armhf.deb
libraries

Just open a terminal in the folder it extracted to and do these commands

Code: Select all

sudo chmod +x install.sh
./install.sh
This will install Chromium version 56.0.2924.84 (provided by kusti8), copy some extra libraries (from rpi-chromium-mods and chromium-codecs-ffmpeg-extra) and will install the necessary shortcut to use (Chromium Web Browser (User Agent)). This has been tested and working perfect.

If you are having problems with this, you can try the older package that has also been tested and working with Netflix. It's the same setup, just do the above code in the extracted directory and it will do everything.

To uninstall this (56 or older), do these commands

Code: Select all

sudo rm -R /usr/lib/chromium-browser
sudo apt-get install --reinstall chromium-browser rpi-chromium-mods
Please note that you cannot update chromium-browser through apt-get upgrade or apt-get dist-upgrade anymore as it will break this package and you will have to reinstall it. Also, if you have uninstalled Chromium (apt-get remove chromium-browser) then the older package will probably not work. Install Chromium (apt-get install chromium-browser rpi-chromium-mods) and then install the older package.

Chromium 56.0.2924.84 (Recommended)
DOWNLOAD

Older Chromium package
DOWNLOAD
Last edited by knuxyl on Sun Mar 12, 2017 5:07 am, edited 3 times in total.

kusti8

Re: [Easy] Chromium with Netflix

Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:06 pm

I don't really see any reason for these instructions. If you install the package like I showed in my instructions then rpi-chromium-mods won't get overwritten. Libgcrypt isn't needed since I've compiled it again 20. I've already included a desktop file in my package that is under Internet. And I still don't know what you mean by libraries.
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't.

knuxyl

Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:25 pm

kusti8 wrote:I don't really see any reason for these instructions. If you install the package like I showed in my instructions then rpi-chromium-mods won't get overwritten. Libgcrypt isn't needed since I've compiled it again 20. I've already included a desktop file in my package that is under Internet. And I still don't know what you mean by libraries.
On your thread you just said go to Internet and get Netflix Launcher
I made it easy for people
And I don't know exactly what libraries, I found some that weren't included in rpi-chromium-mods and got some from Chrome OS chrome directory. Your thread about Chromium with Netflix out of the box is kinda misleading, people still needed another file which you call Netflix Launcher. I just simplified it and put your name all over it.

I reinstall OS a lot on laptop and pi and make easy to install packages like this for everything and since I was making one for Chromium I thought I'd share it. With the posts I see on facebook and some of the posts on this forum it seems as though a lot (i mean A LOT) of people have no clue on how to properly use linux so I decided to share this package.

kusti8

Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:35 pm

Don't get me wrong it's great that you've done this work. I'm just trying to add some constructive criticism. I added a launcher to my package and it installs itself in the menu. And if you don't know what the libraries are, then they probably aren't important.
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't.

knuxyl

Sun Mar 12, 2017 5:03 am

kusti8 wrote:Don't get me wrong it's great that you've done this work. I'm just trying to add some constructive criticism. I added a launcher to my package and it installs itself in the menu. And if you don't know what the libraries are, then they probably aren't important.
wow i just noticed the launcher was included. the way i interpreted it was "search internet for netflix-launcher", not go to the internet categories and click netflix-launcher. my apologies!!!! either way, I have my old package in case yours for some reason doesn't work for somebody (which I doubt will happen, but u never know). I'll link to yours in first post.

powsniffer0110

Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:38 am

I swear I'm not tripping... But I had House of cards playing in FULL HD this weekend, it has zero grain, and took up the entire screen while video was playing (no black boarders), yet I cannot seem to replicate this again. Anyone else? I'm on newest Raspbian with pixel

powsniffer0110

Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:39 am

The reply to my question has seemed to disappear.

saba65lero

Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:27 pm

desde santa fe, argentina rpi 3 perfecto. espectacular.
sistema pixel-raspbian y q4os en los dos genial. :D

gracias. thank chauuuuuuuuuuuu

geores100

Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:20 am

Bonjour,
Après reboot, Netflix et Mycanal fonctionne très bien.
Merci pour cette solution

ricardo_cm

Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:32 am

Hi,

I installed succefully chroniumn with netflix suport and it went ok for a period of time.
By the time im writing this (10 of september 2018) netflix stop working and now it is sending an error C7121-1331-4027.

Any thoughs?

My setup is:
Raspbian Jessy
Raspberry pi 3 b+

Regards.

flo-w123

Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:28 am

hi,

same here for me, worked perfectly for about half a year, now different error codes
appear right before playing the actual video. (since september 8, 2018)
login and browsing the menus, even previews at mouseover still work.

setup is also Raspbian Jessy + Raspberry pi 3

any ideas?

Flo

fruitoftheloom

Sat Sep 15, 2018 4:49 pm

When this Post was originally posted 18 months ago it was configured for Raspbian Jessie and a now older version of Chromium Browser.

Both are now end of life so you need to find a guide for the current Raspbian Stretch and chromium-browser (later than version 59) and can support WideVine DRM...

...it may be better to use a Kodi based solution ???
Adieu

Return to “Raspbian”