martinmmps

Files stored in what folder?

Fri Feb 24, 2017 6:31 pm

I need to recover my files because i corrupted the system but i don't know what folder or partion they are in, also i have looked in all of the folders but i can't see them so i'm guessing they are in a read/write protected partion, how do i gain access to this?

Can someone help me?

B.Goode

Re: Files stored in what folder?

Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:36 pm

Crystal ball failure here...

What Operating System were you running on your RPi?

What username were you using to access your RPi?

How were the files created? With an editor or IDE? Or copied in via some form of file transfer?

The files may be somewhere in the /home/pi directories, but this is not necessarily the case.

It is also possible that the corruption you have experienced may have rendered your files inaccessible.

It is also possible that you are attempting to read your microSD card with a non-linux system - this is unlikely to be (straightforwardly) possible as Windows systems, for example, are unable to read the content of Linux filesystems.

Two easy solutions are: install a fresh version of Raspbian on a new microSD card and use that system with a USB card reader dongle to access the broken card. Or boot an Intel x86 based system from a CD or USB stick containing the RPF Debian Pixel for PC or Mac OS and use that as your recovery system.

gordon77

Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:36 pm

What kind of files? What produced them?

alphanumeric

Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:55 pm

This "It is also possible that you are attempting to read your microSD card with a non-linux system - this is unlikely to be (straightforwardly) possible as Windows systems, for example, are unable to read the content of Linux file systems."

Try to read the Pi SD card in a Windows PC and you'll only see the Fat32 partition. The rest you won't see.

martinmmps

Sat Feb 25, 2017 12:17 pm

i have made all the files in /home/minecraft because i'm making a minecraft server but then i corrupted the system so i want to get all the files in /home/minecraft also i am on mac and my raspberry pi operating system is the latest version.

martinmmps

Sat Feb 25, 2017 12:19 pm

B.Goode wrote:Crystal ball failure here...

What Operating System were you running on your RPi?

What username were you using to access your RPi?

How were the files created? With an editor or IDE? Or copied in via some form of file transfer?

The files may be somewhere in the /home/pi directories, but this is not necessarily the case.

It is also possible that the corruption you have experienced may have rendered your files inaccessible.

It is also possible that you are attempting to read your microSD card with a non-linux system - this is unlikely to be (straightforwardly) possible as Windows systems, for example, are unable to read the content of Linux filesystems.

Two easy solutions are: install a fresh version of Raspbian on a new microSD card and use that system with a USB card reader dongle to access the broken card. Or boot an Intel x86 based system from a CD or USB stick containing the RPF Debian Pixel for PC or Mac OS and use that as your recovery system.
when i boot up it says looking for setup file but doesn't stop looking for it

B.Goode

Sat Feb 25, 2017 1:04 pm

when i boot up it says looking for setup file but doesn't stop looking for it
Other than the obvious recommendation to look in /home/minecraft if you believe that was the target location for the files you created I have nothing to add to my previous reply based on this information.

k-pi

Sat Feb 25, 2017 2:59 pm

martinmmps wrote:i have made all the files in /home/minecraft because i'm making a minecraft server but then i corrupted the system so i want to get all the files in /home/minecraft also i am on mac and my raspberry pi operating system is the latest version.
The later Macs use a version of FreeBSD under their Aqua GUI, so if the Mac doesn't see it, try accessing it via a terminal, usually only the ext2 Linux file system is supported, but it might mount it read only.

Edit: You could create a new card image & use a USB adapter to try to read your corrupted card.

martinmmps

Sun Apr 02, 2017 2:58 pm

what im trying to ask is on my mac what partition and what folder is the /home folder located, and also is the partition locked and can i edit it.

ktb

Sun Apr 02, 2017 7:30 pm

AFAIK, OS X (and macOS) will not mount the root partition of your SD card. By default, you will only be able to browse the files on the boot partition using Finder. You should be able to do something like the following steps in order to get read access to the files on the root partition (which is where the /home directory is located). I’m not sure if you need Xcode installed on your Mac or not, but I already had that installed. I ran the following commands in the Terminal application on OS X El Capitan 10.11.6.

Code: Select all

KTBMacMini:~ ktb$ /usr/bin/ruby -e "$(curl -fsSL https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Homebrew/install/master/install)"
reboot

KTBMacMini:~ ktb$ brew tap homebrew/fuse

KTBMacMini:~ ktb$ brew install Caskroom/cask/osxfuse

KTBMacMini:~ ktb$ brew install ext4fuse
reboot

KTBMacMini:~ ktb$ mkdir -p ~/Desktop/root

KTBMacMini:~ ktb$ sudo dscl . append /Groups/operator GroupMembership ktb
For the following command, you may need to adjust the device name for referencing the root partition of your SD card. If you installed a standard Raspbian Jessie image on your SD card (not NOOBS), then you can likely figure out the name of the root partition on the SD card by running the mount command in the Terminal application on OS X which will list the boot partition like this -- /dev/disk1s1 on /Volumes/boot (msdos, local, nodev, nosuid, noowners). So, the boot partition in my case was /dev/disk1s1, making the root partition /dev/disk1s2.

KTBMacMini:~ ktb$ ext4fuse /dev/disk1s2 ~/Desktop/root
You should then be able to copy any files you want from the card on to your Mac. As far as modifying/editing files on the card, I don't know as I didn't try looking for a way to do that. After you have saved copies of whichever files are important to you on your Mac, there are various ways of transferring those over to a new installation of Raspbian in case that is what you're looking to do.

http://apple.stackexchange.com/question ... el-capitan
https://github.com/osxfuse/osxfuse/issues/340

bwertman

Thu May 17, 2018 9:00 pm

I get as far as

ext4fuse /dev/disk2s1 ~/Desktop/root

but get an;

/dev/disk2s1: Resource busy message.

Any ideas how to get past this?

martinmmps

Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:37 am

I have found out what is wrong, i had uninstalled some crucial files with:

sudo apt-get autoremove
Have a look at this: viewtopic.php?f=28&t=193818&p=1214142#p1214142 and this: viewtopic.php?t=179389
Basically, to fix it i just had to do this:

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install raspberrypi-ui-mods && apt-cache depends raspberrypi-ui-mods && sudo reboot
That should do the trick, thanks for the help!

HawaiianPi

Fri Jun 01, 2018 11:30 pm

Why are you even using the desktop/GUI version of Raspbian to run a Minecraft server?

I run my Creeper-Pi3 server on Raspbian Lite to free up as much RAM as possible (the server needs it).
My mind is like a browser. 27 tabs are open, 9 aren't responding,
lots of pop-ups...and where is that annoying music coming from?

martinmmps

Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:38 am

HawaiianPi wrote: Why are you even using the desktop/GUI version of Raspbian to run a Minecraft server?

I run my Creeper-Pi3 server on Raspbian Lite to free up as much RAM as possible (the server needs it).
Good Point, Thanks!
Annoyingly, my router crashed when someone tried to connect to the server, i gave up eventually and i just found a free one online (server.pro)

Return to “Advanced users”