customise PI image


14 posts
by jignesh.patel47 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:25 am
How can i customise linux kernel as per I can start my GUI on start up.
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:14 pm
by jahboater » Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:48 am
jignesh.patel47 wrote:How can i customise linux kernel as per I can start my GUI on start up.

Raspbian (full) starts the GUI anyway at boot and has done for some time. The Lite version has no GUI at all.

What do you mean by "my GUI" ?
Posts: 1332
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2015 6:38 pm
by jignesh.patel47 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:25 am
I want to start automatic python base GUI Application after booting on Linux kernel that i have builded for raspberry pi.
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:14 pm
by jahboater » Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:33 am
jignesh.patel47 wrote:I want to start automatic python base GUI Application after booting on Linux kernel that i have builded for raspberry pi.
Thats OK, but why do you need to build a special kernel?
There are plenty of posts about starting GUI apps automatically.
Posts: 1332
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2015 6:38 pm
by jignesh.patel47 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:08 pm
Thanks for reply,
I can not use raspbian.
I want to customise linux as. if I will give power to raspberry pi 3, it will directly start my GUI application.
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:14 pm
by topguy » Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:33 pm
What GUI library does your Python code use to create the GUI ? tkinter ? PyGame ? Kivo ?
User avatar
Posts: 3027
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:46 am
Location: Trondheim, Norway
by jignesh.patel47 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:57 pm
I will use Kivy for GUI Application.
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:14 pm
by topguy » Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:38 pm
Do you want the application to run as root or as the "pi" user ?

Python being a parsed language cant be hooked directly into the kernel very easily, it needs a working OS.
So you will not change the linux kernel you will just insert your app into the boot process of Raspbian.

I'm guessing Kivy ( not Kivo of course ) dont need X-desktop so first you disable that with "raspi-config". You can keep "auto-login" for user "pi" if you choose the second solution.

One solution: http://www.raspberrypi-spy.co.uk/2015/1 ... g-systemd/
Another: https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/view ... c#p1065884
User avatar
Posts: 3027
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:46 am
Location: Trondheim, Norway
by jahboater » Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:57 pm
jignesh.patel47 wrote:How can i customise linux kernel as per I can start my GUI on start up.
jignesh.patel47 wrote:I can not use raspbian.
I want to customise linux as. if I will give power to raspberry pi 3, it will directly start my GUI application.
I don't understand why you need to "customize" the linux kernel for this, and I don't understand why you cannot use Raspbian.
Sorry.
Posts: 1332
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2015 6:38 pm
by kusti8 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:59 pm
Do you mean buildroot? There really shouldn't be any reason not to use Raspbian since it just works.
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't.
User avatar
Posts: 3399
Joined: Sat Dec 21, 2013 5:29 pm
Location: USA
by k-pi » Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:19 pm
If you have a normal Linux setup, you can start any program from the .xinitrc file, so if your version of O/S follows normal practice, that is where to put it.
You don't have to run a desktop or window manager, it can display via the X screen itself.
You will need to decide how you intend to shut down Linux in an organised way, so as not to corrupt the system.
Posts: 137
Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2017 1:46 pm
Location: Upper Hale, Surrey, UK.
by jignesh.patel47 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:23 pm
kusti8 wrote:Do you mean buildroot? There really shouldn't be any reason not to use Raspbian since it just works.


I want to customize linux like buildroot.in my case there is no kernel message and login does show on screen.
but how can i run python GUI application on that?
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:14 pm
by jignesh.patel47 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 5:02 am
k-pi wrote:If you have a normal Linux setup, you can start any program from the .xinitrc file, so if your version of O/S follows normal practice, that is where to put it.
You don't have to run a desktop or window manager, it can display via the X screen itself.
You will need to decide how you intend to shut down Linux in an organised way, so as not to corrupt the system.


Does normal linux has a x-window manager or X screen? So i can run the GUI App on linux.
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:14 pm
by jahboater » Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:17 am
jignesh.patel47 wrote:Does normal linux has a x-window manager or X screen? So i can run the GUI App on linux.
Yes of course it does.
I suggest you download Raspbian Jessie with Pixel from here https://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads/raspbian/
Do not get the Lite version which doesn't have the GUI.

Download it and use it for a bit, then come back here with some more specific questions.
Posts: 1332
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2015 6:38 pm