semental

CORRECT GPU-CPU SHARE VALUE

Postby semental » Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:01 am

Hi, first of all sorry for the spelling, i'm from argentina and my english is not the best!

I have raspbian Pixel running on a raspberry 2.

It's installed alongside libreelec (multiboot).

I use primarly kodi (libreelec) to watch videos, but i also need to watch some pay live streaming pages (mainly sports) that are not compatible with kodi (ej. fox, espn, directv. etc.).

There's no kodi addon for those pages, so i need to watch them from a browser.
(I know about sportsdevil and other addons, but i'm paying for those pages so i dont want to chose from bad quality streamings).

So, i watch those streamings on raspbian with chromium.

I did tests on other browsers, but this new exclusive build of chormium 51 with fullscreen flash is the best (is far from perfect but in my tests is better than the other ones).

Depending on the page the video lags a little. Some streams runs perfect, others lags frequently, and sometimes the plugin fails and i have to reload the page.

Here is when my doubt starts:

This chromium build can play youtube and other flash videos in fullscreen, and also i read that it does it trough software decoding (the only way to use hardware is trough omxplayer).

When i tried to change to fullscreen the video hangeds, so i googled it and found that i need to deactivate "use hardware acceleration" from chromium settings

i did that and solved that problem.

So, since i can play that streams but still there is some lag, my question is:

If i'm using a software decoder, and also i disabled hardware acceleration from chromium settings:

what is better? more memory to the cpu or more memory to the gpu?

i'm talkin specifically of the "gpu_mem=" setting on config.txt

Now i have it setted on 128, but i want to know if its better a lower or higher number for my configuration since (sorry for my ignorance) i'm using more cpu than gpu for decoding and playing videos

Well, i hope i made myself clear

Thanks in advance
DougieLawson

Re: CORRECT GPU-CPU SHARE VALUE

Postby DougieLawson » Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:03 am

If you're running the GUI then gpu_mem=128 is a good value and works well for 99.999% of the population.
Microprocessor, Raspberry Pi & Arduino Hacker
Mainframe database troubleshooter
MQTT Evangelist
Twitter: @DougieLawson

Since 2012: 1B*5, 2B*2, B+, A+, Zero*2, 3B*3

Please post ALL technical questions on the forum. Do not send private messages.
cjan

Postby cjan » Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:45 am

set gpu_mem=128 then you can switch between Pixel & kodi.
and, chromium is 56 now.
ghans

Postby ghans » Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:56 am

Pepperflash cannot use the Pi GPU to decode video. It probably never will , unless someone
brave implements VAAPI for the Pi or whatever obscure video framework Adobe chose when it first
ported Flash to Linux.

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org
semental

Postby semental » Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:16 pm

DougieLawson wrote:If you're running the GUI then gpu_mem=128 is a good value and works well for 99.999% of the population.
So, to be clear.

If i want to stream on videos on raspbian trough chromium with software decoding is better a "128" gpu_mem value than a lower (64) or a higher one (256).

Apart my long introduction, I just wanted to know if i can improve my "almost lag free" 720p experience
DougieLawson

Postby DougieLawson » Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:25 pm

It's not going to make a difference. Your best upgrade option is to swap out your Raspberry Pi 2 for a Raspberry Pi 3.
Microprocessor, Raspberry Pi & Arduino Hacker
Mainframe database troubleshooter
MQTT Evangelist
Twitter: @DougieLawson

Since 2012: 1B*5, 2B*2, B+, A+, Zero*2, 3B*3

Please post ALL technical questions on the forum. Do not send private messages.
semental

Postby semental » Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:45 pm

ok thank you very much!
bensimmo

Postby bensimmo » Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:15 pm

You could try some of the overclocking options, depending on which Pi2 it might go as fast as a Pi3. Or be just a bit faster Pi2.
I do not know, but have a search around to see what other have managed