Help for raspian booting problem


14 posts
by quancore » Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:07 am
I installed upstart and reboot raspberry pi 2 with raspian jessie with pixel.However, the system has not booted succesfully.The error is:

Mount failed for selinuxfs on /sys/fs/selinux: No such file or directory

Once ı get the error, I clear my sdcard and reformat with jessie and it worked.However when ı installed upstart and reboot, same error is apperaring.There is no hardware corruption because the sytem works well without the upstart installation.

Thanks for your helps
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:05 am
by quancore » Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:09 pm
Up. I am really eager to get some help
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:05 am
by DougieLawson » Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:42 pm
What possible value was there in replacing systemd (that works) with upstart (that doesn't work)?

Clean your SDCard, get Raspbian on it and try again. Skip the pointless move to upstart.
Microprocessor, Raspberry Pi & Arduino Hacker
Mainframe database troubleshooter
MQTT Evangelist
Twitter: @DougieLawson

Since 2012: 1B*5, 2B*2, B+, A+, Zero*2, 3B*3

Please post ALL technical questions on the forum. Do not send private messages.
User avatar
Posts: 26082
Joined: Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:19 pm
Location: Basingstoke, UK
by k-pi » Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:58 pm
I'm no fan of systemd either, but that's what's working around here at the moment.

So, unless you know what you are doing, & can build your own distro from the Debian repositories, I'd stick to what works. :)
Posts: 71
Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2017 1:46 pm
Location: Upper Hale, Surrey, UK.
by DougieLawson » Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:10 pm
k-pi wrote:I'm no fan of systemd either, but that's what's working around here at the moment.

Why? It's a million times easier to work with than sysvinit. Getting a new service running at WantedBy=multi-user.target needs a small text file with about ten lines of stuff in it. That's so much easier than a complex sysvinit script.
Microprocessor, Raspberry Pi & Arduino Hacker
Mainframe database troubleshooter
MQTT Evangelist
Twitter: @DougieLawson

Since 2012: 1B*5, 2B*2, B+, A+, Zero*2, 3B*3

Please post ALL technical questions on the forum. Do not send private messages.
User avatar
Posts: 26082
Joined: Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:19 pm
Location: Basingstoke, UK
by k-pi » Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:31 pm
1) It's not what I'm used to. (I've been using Linux & BSD since 1999, & haven't needed it.)
2) It has worked it's way into many programs, making some of them incompatible with other init systems.
3) It's not the unix way.
4) It stores it's data as binary, (so I'm told, which makes problem solving more complex).
5) It was created by 'Big Business', (Redhat), so that more people will need their support package. :)

I could possibly come up with more reasons given time....... ;)
Posts: 71
Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2017 1:46 pm
Location: Upper Hale, Surrey, UK.
by DougieLawson » Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:44 pm
k-pi wrote:1) It's not what I'm used to. (I've been using Linux & BSD since 1999, & haven't needed it.)
2) It has worked it's way into many programs, making some of them incompatible with other init systems.
3) It's not the unix way.
4) It stores it's data as binary, (so I'm told, which makes problem solving more complex).
5) It was created by 'Big Business', (Redhat), so that more people will need their support package. :)

1. I beat you by about 4 years.
2. And that matters because ...?
3. Good, because the Unix way belongs in the 1960's archive & museum and making things simpler has to be better.
4. It does lots of lovely logging. There's a whole raft of obscure binary data all over your system - I give you MySQL.
5. Wasn't that nice of them. I've never paid a red cent to RedHat and they've given me a system that's easier to use than sysvinit. Folks who need paid support won't care because they're more interested in keeping their systems running 24/365.
Microprocessor, Raspberry Pi & Arduino Hacker
Mainframe database troubleshooter
MQTT Evangelist
Twitter: @DougieLawson

Since 2012: 1B*5, 2B*2, B+, A+, Zero*2, 3B*3

Please post ALL technical questions on the forum. Do not send private messages.
User avatar
Posts: 26082
Joined: Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:19 pm
Location: Basingstoke, UK
by jahboater » Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:10 pm
DougieLawson wrote:
k-pi wrote:1) It's not what I'm used to. (I've been using Linux & BSD since 1999, & haven't needed it.)
2) It has worked it's way into many programs, making some of them incompatible with other init systems.
3) It's not the unix way.
4) It stores it's data as binary, (so I'm told, which makes problem solving more complex).
5) It was created by 'Big Business', (Redhat), so that more people will need their support package. :)

1. I beat you by about 4 years.
2. And that matters because ...?
3. Good, because the Unix way belongs in the 1960's archive & museum and making things simpler has to be better.
4. It does lots of lovely logging. There's a whole raft of obscure binary data all over your system - I give you MySQL.
5. Wasn't that nice of them. I've never paid a red cent to RedHat and they've given me a system that's easier to use than sysvinit. Folks who need paid support won't care because they're more interested in keeping their systems running 24/365.
1. I beat even that by over a decade (1983 I think - UNIX on an Amdahl (IBM clone) mainframe)!
Something like systemd had to be developed at some point to get decent boot times, by aggressively doing everything in parallel.
But it does seem to have taken over.
Posts: 1041
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2015 6:38 pm
by DougieLawson » Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:30 pm
At least it didn't completely fail as a project like upstart. Which was going to fly about as well as Howard Hughes' Spruce Goose.

I've never understood the untold hatred and vitriol against something that works and something that gets stuff started quicker. The time from the kernel launching /sbin/init to having an active, running, usuable system is much quicker.
Microprocessor, Raspberry Pi & Arduino Hacker
Mainframe database troubleshooter
MQTT Evangelist
Twitter: @DougieLawson

Since 2012: 1B*5, 2B*2, B+, A+, Zero*2, 3B*3

Please post ALL technical questions on the forum. Do not send private messages.
User avatar
Posts: 26082
Joined: Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:19 pm
Location: Basingstoke, UK
by quancore » Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:01 pm
I am a newcomer in raspberry pi.First of all, thanks for your helpful responses, however, answers are not the same that I expected.Workaround can be quite useful in some cases, however I am really surprised at how raspberry foundation can be hopeless about rescue/recovery platforms.I research deeply and most of answers include reformatting of SD card instead of solving the problem.The main problem is that I have to make customization and trivial works again and again because of reformatting.
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:05 am
by DougieLawson » Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:39 pm
You made a wrong choice. You should always take a backup just before you make a non-reversible change.
Microprocessor, Raspberry Pi & Arduino Hacker
Mainframe database troubleshooter
MQTT Evangelist
Twitter: @DougieLawson

Since 2012: 1B*5, 2B*2, B+, A+, Zero*2, 3B*3

Please post ALL technical questions on the forum. Do not send private messages.
User avatar
Posts: 26082
Joined: Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:19 pm
Location: Basingstoke, UK
by jahboater » Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:07 pm
DougieLawson wrote:You made a wrong choice. You should always take a backup just before you make a non-reversible change.
You mean apart from trying to install upstart :)
Posts: 1041
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2015 6:38 pm
by quancore » Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:32 pm
I do not agree with you because upstart installation does not seem as a "critical" operation.Otherwise, I have to backup my sc card before all installation, which is quite costly for me, nearly same as reformatting.
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:05 am
by DougieLawson » Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:29 pm
What possible reason did you have for installing upstart? What did you think you were going to gain?

You've messed your installed OS up, so restore the backup and change your plans.
Microprocessor, Raspberry Pi & Arduino Hacker
Mainframe database troubleshooter
MQTT Evangelist
Twitter: @DougieLawson

Since 2012: 1B*5, 2B*2, B+, A+, Zero*2, 3B*3

Please post ALL technical questions on the forum. Do not send private messages.
User avatar
Posts: 26082
Joined: Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:19 pm
Location: Basingstoke, UK