quancore

Help for raspian booting problem

Postby quancore » Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:07 am

I installed upstart and reboot raspberry pi 2 with raspian jessie with pixel.However, the system has not booted succesfully.The error is:

Mount failed for selinuxfs on /sys/fs/selinux: No such file or directory

Once ı get the error, I clear my sdcard and reformat with jessie and it worked.However when ı installed upstart and reboot, same error is apperaring.There is no hardware corruption because the sytem works well without the upstart installation.

Thanks for your helps
quancore

Re: Help for raspian booting problem

Postby quancore » Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:09 pm

Up. I am really eager to get some help
DougieLawson

Postby DougieLawson » Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:42 pm

What possible value was there in replacing systemd (that works) with upstart (that doesn't work)?

Clean your SDCard, get Raspbian on it and try again. Skip the pointless move to upstart.
Microprocessor, Raspberry Pi & Arduino Hacker
Mainframe database troubleshooter
MQTT Evangelist
Twitter: @DougieLawson

Since 2012: 1B*5, 2B*2, B+, A+, Zero*2, 3B*3

Please post ALL technical questions on the forum. Do not send private messages.
k-pi

Postby k-pi » Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:58 pm

I'm no fan of systemd either, but that's what's working around here at the moment.

So, unless you know what you are doing, & can build your own distro from the Debian repositories, I'd stick to what works. :)
DougieLawson

Postby DougieLawson » Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:10 pm

k-pi wrote:I'm no fan of systemd either, but that's what's working around here at the moment.
Why? It's a million times easier to work with than sysvinit. Getting a new service running at WantedBy=multi-user.target needs a small text file with about ten lines of stuff in it. That's so much easier than a complex sysvinit script.
MQTT Evangelist

k-pi

Postby k-pi » Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:31 pm

1) It's not what I'm used to. (I've been using Linux & BSD since 1999, & haven't needed it.)
2) It has worked it's way into many programs, making some of them incompatible with other init systems.
3) It's not the unix way.
4) It stores it's data as binary, (so I'm told, which makes problem solving more complex).
5) It was created by 'Big Business', (Redhat), so that more people will need their support package. :)

I could possibly come up with more reasons given time....... ;)
DougieLawson

Postby DougieLawson » Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:44 pm

k-pi wrote:1) It's not what I'm used to. (I've been using Linux & BSD since 1999, & haven't needed it.)
2) It has worked it's way into many programs, making some of them incompatible with other init systems.
4) It stores it's data as binary, (so I'm told, which makes problem solving more complex).
5) It was created by 'Big Business', (Redhat), so that more people will need their support package. :)
1. I beat you by about 4 years.
2. And that matters because ...?
3. Good, because the Unix way belongs in the 1960's archive & museum and making things simpler has to be better.
4. It does lots of lovely logging. There's a whole raft of obscure binary data all over your system - I give you MySQL.
5. Wasn't that nice of them. I've never paid a red cent to RedHat and they've given me a system that's easier to use than sysvinit. Folks who need paid support won't care because they're more interested in keeping their systems running 24/365.
MQTT Evangelist

jahboater

Postby jahboater » Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:10 pm

DougieLawson wrote:
k-pi wrote:1) It's not what I'm used to. (I've been using Linux & BSD since 1999, & haven't needed it.)
1. I beat you by about 4 years.
2. And that matters because ...?
3. Good, because the Unix way belongs in the 1960's archive & museum and making things simpler has to be better.
4. It does lots of lovely logging. There's a whole raft of obscure binary data all over your system - I give you MySQL.
5. Wasn't that nice of them. I've never paid a red cent to RedHat and they've given me a system that's easier to use than sysvinit. Folks who need paid support won't care because they're more interested in keeping their systems running 24/365.
1. I beat even that by over a decade (1983 I think - UNIX on an Amdahl (IBM clone) mainframe)!
Something like systemd had to be developed at some point to get decent boot times, by aggressively doing everything in parallel.
But it does seem to have taken over.
DougieLawson

Postby DougieLawson » Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:30 pm

At least it didn't completely fail as a project like upstart. Which was going to fly about as well as Howard Hughes' Spruce Goose.

I've never understood the untold hatred and vitriol against something that works and something that gets stuff started quicker. The time from the kernel launching /sbin/init to having an active, running, usuable system is much quicker.
MQTT Evangelist

quancore

Postby quancore » Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:01 pm

I am a newcomer in raspberry pi.First of all, thanks for your helpful responses, however, answers are not the same that I expected.Workaround can be quite useful in some cases, however I am really surprised at how raspberry foundation can be hopeless about rescue/recovery platforms.I research deeply and most of answers include reformatting of SD card instead of solving the problem.The main problem is that I have to make customization and trivial works again and again because of reformatting.
DougieLawson

Postby DougieLawson » Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:39 pm

You made a wrong choice. You should always take a backup just before you make a non-reversible change.
MQTT Evangelist

jahboater

Postby jahboater » Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:07 pm

DougieLawson wrote:You made a wrong choice. You should always take a backup just before you make a non-reversible change.
You mean apart from trying to install upstart :)
quancore

Postby quancore » Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:32 pm

I do not agree with you because upstart installation does not seem as a "critical" operation.Otherwise, I have to backup my sc card before all installation, which is quite costly for me, nearly same as reformatting.
DougieLawson

Postby DougieLawson » Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:29 pm

What possible reason did you have for installing upstart? What did you think you were going to gain?

You've messed your installed OS up, so restore the backup and change your plans.
MQTT Evangelist

peterfarrow

Postby peterfarrow » Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:57 am

The selinux fs mount problem which stops the booting process is related to installing Upstart.
Its a Linux bug which permeates lots Linux flavours from Debian, Ubuntu to Redhat.

To fix it you can do the following steps:
If you only have one raspberrypi:
(1)Install the Pi OS onto a fresh new MicroSD card and do a full update on it
apt-get update
apt-get dist-upgrade
(reboot)
rpi-update
(reboot)
apt-get upgrade

(2)install a USB card reader into the Pi USB sockets and install your "broken" pi MicroSD card into it.

(3)Create a directory called anything you like eg mkdir /brokensystem

(4)Mount your broken system MicroSD root partition onto /brokensystem

The command is mount -t ext4 /dev/sbNM /brokensystem
where N is the SD card letter assigned when you inserted it and M is the root partition
typically /dev/sdb5, so it might be mount -t ext4 /dev/sdb7 /brokensystem
you use the command tail /var/log/messages when you insert the card to find it
Sometimes the disk might get mounted for you, the /var/log/messages will tell you.

(5)you now need to mount the old /boot partition underneath the broken system partition mounted above
Try mount /dev/sb6 /brokensystem/boot

(6)Once you have mounted your old disk under /brokensystem you can try this

Optional step:
overwrite the boot files on the broken system
cp -R /boot/* /brokensystem/boot

(You can try the boot overwrite step a second time around if it won't boot after the chroot commands below)

chroot /brokensystem
apt-get remove upstart
It may complain about missing filesystems etc, but will remove upstart anyway.

shut down the system with
init 0
If this "init 0" fails (highly likley)
wait a few seconds and then pull out the power

Boot your pi from the originally broken microSD

If it boots... full update it as step (1) above,
If it doesn't boot repeat as above but copy the /boot files in the optional step above as well.

This should remove the faulty upstart configuration which "bricks" the Pi.

Do not use Upstart again, use systemd as is recommended, systemd is the way forward, upstart is history.

Hope this helps

Pete