czar1na

Chromium not recognizing Pi camera?

Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:42 pm

I'm trying to stream video with the Pi Zero and Pi Camera. I'm on the default Chromium browser that comes with the latest Raspbian Jessie (Pixel). I'm attempting to initiate a Google Hangouts video call from Chromium. I have allowed Google Hangouts to access the camera/mic in Chromium.

However, I see "no camera available" and "no microphone available" in Chromium when I try a Google Hangouts video. I'm sure that the Pi camera is properly connected to the Pi, as I can capture videos/images from the terminal. How can I make Chromium recognize the camera device?

6by9
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Re: Chromium not recognizing Pi camera?

Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:59 pm

Have you loaded the v4l2 driver?

Code: Select all

sudo modprobe bcm2835-v4l2 
Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi Trading. Views expressed are still personal views.
I'm not interested in doing contracts for bespoke functionality - please don't ask.

czar1na

Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:28 pm

6by9 wrote:Have you loaded the v4l2 driver?

Code: Select all

sudo modprobe bcm2835-v4l2 
I had not! That did the trick, now the camera is recognized :)

When I create the video call from the Pi, it does start successfully now, but just shows a 'loading icon' and never successfully sends any video from the Pi Camera. Here is what it looks like in the web Skype client: http://imgur.com/a/Ty4wI

To be clear, I am only trying to send video from the Pi over the call, not receive it.

Any ideas what is wrong?

Isaiah-d2

Sat Dec 08, 2018 3:57 pm

That worked for me, but the video quality wasn't nearly as good as with the terminal.

6by9

Sat Dec 08, 2018 4:56 pm

There was a bug in Chromium that meant it requested 0x0 as the desired resolution, which the driver will increase to 32x32 as that is the minimum supported resolution. You could confirm that with "v4l2-ctl -V" after having run Chromium.
You used to be able to work around that one using the same workaround as worked for gstreamer (don't report the supported resolutions), but upstream saw fit to remove that as gstreamer got fixed.
Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi Trading. Views expressed are still personal views.
I'm not interested in doing contracts for bespoke functionality - please don't ask.

Return to “Graphics, sound and multimedia”