escondax

RaspiCam lens for optical zoom

Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:28 am

Hello Everyone,

Nowadays I am working on a project that consist of Raspicam and several devices in Raspberry pi 3.

According to process, I need to make a clear image for video stream and therefore I am looking for a cheap, modular and compatible lens for RaspiCam.

I just would like to increase 6 cm resolution to 30,40 cm.

Is there any lens for optical zoom with given specifications?( I dont need any professional dslr lenses)

PiGraham

Re: RaspiCam lens for optical zoom

Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:18 am

You could look at clip-on lenses designed for use with smartphones. Those are more likely wide and telephoto fixed lenses rather than zoom.
You could also hack the zoom lens from an old compact camera.
Last edited by PiGraham on Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

escondax

Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:00 am

PiGraham wrote:You could look a tclip-on lenses designed for use with smartphones. Those are more likely wide and telephoto fixed lenses rather than zoom.
You could also hack the zoom lens from an old compact camera.
Thank you for your answer, It is exactly what ı need.

Also I would like to ask another question, Is there any way to make a digital zoom in Python for Raspicam?

TheWaterbug

Tue Jan 31, 2017 4:01 pm

I have the Arducam 5 MP camera module with a removable CS-mount lens:

The CS mount is the standard for CCTV/Security cameras, so there are lots of lenses available on the market, including some with motorized zoom, etc.

You can even get adapters from CS-mount to C-mount or SLR-type mounts, but those lenses would likely be overkill.

Andy.ICT2U

Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:55 pm

Hi All,

There have been various mentions about using the low cost mobile phone lenses which, as pigraham pointed out, have the spring clip to hold it to the camera board. I share other people's reservations about the discomfort in having that very strongly sprung clip fixed to the board so I've been looking around for a mounting block that can take the thread of those mobile phone lenses (approx 17mm) or an adaptor from M12 to these.

Do they exist? I am going down the M12 lenses route too but wondered if I can use the various mobile phone lenses I've picked up too?

Regards
Andy

W. H. Heydt

Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:38 pm

TheWaterbug wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2017 4:01 pm
You can even get adapters from CS-mount to C-mount or SLR-type mounts, but those lenses would likely be overkill.
I will have to investigate... I've wanted to attach my 4" F2.7 C-mount lens (it goes with a 16mm cine camera) for a while. A support mount may be a bit of an issue....

I also have a 63mm F2.7 macro-focusing lens in C-mount. And one used to be able to get 25mm F1.0 lenses.

mikerr

Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:54 pm

escondax wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:00 am
Is there any way to make a digital zoom in Python for Raspicam?
Yes, with picamera:
http://picamera.readthedocs.io/en/relea ... amera.zoom

4x digital zoom, centered:

Code: Select all

import picamera

with picamera.PiCamera():
    camera.resolution = (640, 480)
    camera.start_preview()
    camera.zoom = (0.25, 0.25, 0.5, 0.5)
    time.sleep(10)
Android app - Raspi Card Imager - download and image SD cards - No PC required !

Return to “General discussion”