flyandi

TFT Module Panel

Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:43 am

I did some research in the forum and it seems that there is a lot of information/assumptions but no real solutions.

I am no expert in LCD modules but I wonder if any of the under $50 TFT displays on eBay's can be used directly with the DSP port. I understand that the DSP is not documented (yet) but wonder if anyone tried it and had success.

Preferable with touchscreen.. but not required :-)

ghans

Re: TFT Module Panel

Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:36 am

No.
I have seen ONE company selling a working touchscreen , but i will only
"buy" that when I have feedback from a forum-goer. The driver seemed to hog
the CPU all the time.
If you want a working screen ,get one with HDMi or DVI in and all necessary control
and power boards.

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org

msmithy12

Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:11 am

i've looked into this for a few weeks now (not DSI cos it seems very gray ATM) Ive looked at touchscreen but a 7"touchscreen is £300+ and a standard 7" TFT and a keyboard with trackpad can be 40% of that. If u buy a second hand TFT (with DVI/HDMI) from gumtree or ebay you can have a full raspi set up for around £100 (including a pi...farnell deliver crazy quick at the moment)

If you must go touch screen try
http://www.chalk-elec.com/?page_id=1280 ... t=14647624

With
http://210.64.17.162/web20/drivers/touc ... -ma.tar.gz
Driver, from my reasearch in THEORY this should work.

But i dont trust my theory enought to buy one. Have fun and keep us posted!

Matt Smith
I assume I know what I`m talking about... I probably don`t

Home: 256mb Made in UK, Rasbmc, 40" Sony Bravia KDL-40v3000
Work: 2b+, Rasbian, 6" Lilliput touchscreen

flyandi

Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:46 pm

I saw the Chalkboard TFT screen and I am bit worried about the 100% CPU usage - so yes, I agree with you guys, until someone actually has hands-on-test, I probably will stay away.

I wonder why there are not just releasing the DSI headers.

ghans

Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:39 pm

DSI headers ?
AFAIK they are already there ?
Do you mean a completely new kind of low-level register language with a description of
a multi-core GPU , DSPs and tuning parameters explained in a "Programmers handbook" ?
And a complete datasheet including usable protocols , standards, voltages and pin numbers ?
Fat chance.

That said , i'm sure that the foundation will find a way to expose "just enough" for people to tinker with somehow.

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:42 pm

I believe the code is in place to set DSI registers from Arm space - I need to talk to Gordon/Dom about it at some point to find out how. But you will need to have some sort of PCB to convert the DSI connectors on the Pi to whatever your DSI display actually has, then use the register settings to set it up.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed.
I've been saying "Mucho" to my Spanish friend a lot more lately. It means a lot to him.

flyandi

Thu Sep 13, 2012 4:09 pm

I probably will wait until PI has a compatible TFT screen.. in the meantime I will go the traditional route with HDMI and USB :-)

ChalkElec

Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:45 am

flyandi wrote:I probably will wait until PI has a compatible TFT screen.. in the meantime I will go the traditional route with HDMI and USB :-)
Hello flyandi, if you are concern with the 100% CPU usage from our previous youtube, that is due to the GEMGEM game that we have it running in the background. Check out our blog http://www.chalk-elec.com/?page_id=972&paged=2 and watch another youtube to clear your doubt. :idea:
Chalkboard Electronics
Touchscreen and LCD solutions for RaspberryPi
http://www.chalk-elec.com

Return to “Other projects”