dakiller

Compute Module Projects

Wed Oct 26, 2016 1:27 am

Just posting to share my compute module project, while I'm waiting for the CM3 to come.

We built these small terminal like devices to use for data entry where these units are spread out over a large site. With Ethernet as the only cabling needed, the PCB is powered by POE, through a battery, then regulators for the 5v 3.3v and 1.8v rails. The LAN9514 was copied from the other Pi's, as well as an RTC and RS232. An ATMega is set up for a USB keyboard controller and controlling the power to the CM. Finally, a HDMI to 40pin LCD interface runs the display.

This was the prototype PCB that I hand soldered myself, having to fix many mistakes to get it to work. The terminating resistors and capacitors just before the LAN9514 turn out to quite important, you can see the little resistors I tombstoned on the ethernet magnetic right after the ethernet jack :oops:

After that, we got small scale runs manufactured and they have turned out real well.

I currently got a bunch more getting fabbed, and I've been holding off on ordering the CM boards for them, in the hope that the CM3 comes before I really need them.

W. H. Heydt

Re: Compute Module Projects

Wed Oct 26, 2016 4:10 am

dakiller wrote: I currently got a bunch more getting fabbed, and I've been holding off on ordering the CM boards for them, in the hope that the CM3 comes before I really need them.
Very nice.

CM3 is dues to be released around the end of the year. It will have 4GB of eMMC (like the CM1). NEC is planning to allow people to buy their 16GB CM3, but I don't expect those to show up until some time next year. (And if anybody finds a source and price for them, please post something about it.)

James Adams
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Wed Oct 26, 2016 7:48 am

Nice job!
James Adams
Raspberry Pi - COO & Hardware Lead

antoinebore

Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:04 am

Hello dakiller,

Really nice job !

For a personal project, I want to power a CM3+ with PoE. I wanted to know if you used passive or active PoE for your project.

Bye !

Return to “Compute Module”