miamia

RPi3 and HDCP

Wed Oct 12, 2016 6:54 am

Hello,
I tried to find out if RPi3 supports HDCP, but no luck. So does it support HDCP? If yes, which version please?

Many thanks!

wildfire

Re: RPi3 and HDCP

Wed Oct 12, 2016 7:06 am

Concesus appears to be no, see...

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=672

However it is a very old thread so things may have changed.
E8 85 A2 64 C9 64 81 94 64 81 95 64 89 84 89 96 A3
Still NF Shirls

miamia

Wed Oct 12, 2016 7:14 am

wildfire wrote:Concesus appears to be no, see...

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=672

Thanks, I saw that thread but as you told, it is very old, so I would like to know if it is valid for RPi3, too.

fruitoftheloom

Wed Oct 12, 2016 7:18 am

miamia wrote:
wildfire wrote:Concesus appears to be no, see...

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=672

Thanks, I saw that thread but as you told, it is very old, so I would like to know if it is valid for RPi3, too.
All Raspberry Pi's use the same VideoCore IV Video Processing Unit, so nothing has changed. ;)
Retired disgracefully.....
......to a more gentile life !

miamia

Wed Oct 12, 2016 7:36 am

fruitoftheloom wrote:All Raspberry Pi's use the same VideoCore IV Video Processing Unit, so nothing has changed. ;)
So it means RPi doesn't have HDCP, thank you @fruitoftheloom!

6by9
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Wed Oct 12, 2016 9:02 am

dom's answer at viewtopic.php?f=7&t=672#p38204 is still correct
No. The chip supports HDCP and is used on other platforms where the content provider insists, and the content is DRM protected.
The Raspberry Pi has no such deals in place, and so HDCP is disabled.
Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi Trading. Views expressed are still personal views.
I'm not interested in doing contracts for bespoke functionality - please don't ask.

miamia

Wed Oct 12, 2016 9:46 am

6by9 wrote:dom's answer at viewtopic.php?f=7&t=672#p38204 is still correct
No. The chip supports HDCP and is used on other platforms where the content provider insists, and the content is DRM protected.
The Raspberry Pi has no such deals in place, and so HDCP is disabled.
I am a bit distracted now :) but what I understand is that chip supports it, but on Raspberry Pi it is disabled :) Maybe one more question - does it mean that RPi is not able to run HDCP protected content?

6by9

Wed Oct 12, 2016 9:57 am

miamia wrote:I am a bit distracted now :) but what I understand is that chip supports it, but on Raspberry Pi it is disabled :) Maybe one more question - does it mean that RPi is not able to run HDCP protected content?
The chip supports it, but needs an appropriate key (normally programmed into the OTP) to encode the data with. There is no such key defined for use on Pi, so there is no way to HDCP encrypt the HDMI connection.

"HDCP protected content" is a bit of a misnomer anyway in the context of Pi. HDCP is protecting the data on the HDMI lead. How are you generating the data to be fed down the HDMI lead? In general that is off a (fairly) open processor. You have root access so can access all of memory. How would you protect the video you have decoded into memory from just being read by the ARM core as well as being sent to the display?

What I think you're asking is is there a way to play DRM protected videos in a totally protected manner. The answer is no, and that won't be an avenue that will be pursued as it involves locking the machine down heavily.
Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi Trading. Views expressed are still personal views.
I'm not interested in doing contracts for bespoke functionality - please don't ask.

Return to “General discussion”