jeanyvantissot55

What is the performance of Raspberry Pi 3

Sun Oct 02, 2016 8:38 pm

What is the performance of Raspberry Pi 3 in term of Gflops at 100% CPU ( without taking into account the GPU)?

Thank you,

ejolson

Re: What is the performance of Raspberry Pi 3

Mon Oct 03, 2016 3:55 am

jeanyvantissot55 wrote:What is the performance of Raspberry Pi 3 in term of Gflops at 100% CPU ( without taking into account the GPU)?
At the default clock rate of 1200 MHz the Pi 3 without GPU can achieve 6.2 Gflops when solving systems of linear algebra problems, which is a standard benchmark problem in scientific computing. However, without a heatsink the CPU will instantly throttle to half speed and average about 3.1 Gflops. While the GPU in the Pi is too slow to make much difference in these scores, the fastest supercomputer in the world reaches 93,014,600 Gflops solving a larger version of the same problem using GPU accelerators.

The Pi 3 I purchased last week seems particularly slow. At the default clock of 1200 MHz it immediately crashes even with an actively cooled heatsink. However, if I change the clock to 900 MHz it is stable and gives 5 Gflops.

I suspect many of the Pi 3 that are currently in use will either crash or throttle to less than 5 Gflops when tested. If you have a Pi 3, I would encourage you to test it yourself.

Return to “General discussion”