fernandoxl

Metatrader under Windows 10 for IoT

Sat Oct 01, 2016 2:48 pm

I would like to install MetaTrader in Raspberry 3 with Windows10.
Is it possible ?
I work with Forex trading system.
Thanks for your help

fernandoxl

Re: Metatrader under Windows 10 for IoT

Mon Oct 10, 2016 3:01 pm

Someone?

B.Goode

Mon Oct 10, 2016 4:35 pm

fernandoxl wrote:Someone?
Any tiny hints about what Metatrader is, where it can be downloaded from, any existing installation instructions, reasons to believe that it might be compatible with Win10IoT?

Note that Win10IoT is NOT comparable with the Windows OS that most people know from desktop and laptop PCs.

jgreen71

Mon Oct 10, 2016 6:09 pm

fernandoxl wrote:Is it possible ?
No.

The software runs on Windows 98/2000/XP/Vista/7.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MetaTrader_4#cite_note-18

fruitoftheloom

Mon Oct 10, 2016 6:47 pm

jgreen71 wrote:
fernandoxl wrote:Is it possible ?
No.

The software runs on Windows 98/2000/XP/Vista/7.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MetaTrader_4#cite_note-18
All those Operating Systems run on x86 CPU machines.

The RPi has ARM CPU...
Adieu

Paul33

Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:14 pm

Fernandol,
there is a way - but you're not going to like it.

You could ask your provider for API access to your trading account and code your EA in c# but if you just want to run MT4 on the RP I don't think you can - because you're running Windows 10 IOT - IOT is not the same as full blown windows and so doesn't use/have the same libraries that you need for MT4.
To give you an example of this requirement, if I'm not mistaken MT4 makes use of explorer.exe DLL functions in order to maintain process affinity and to manage chart updating (among other things) - these DLLs aren't part of win 10 IOT.

One thing you could try is using the ctrader platform instead of MT4 (which is typically better for you as most ctrader providers will A-Book your trades instead of B-Booking you).
cTrader comes in several different flavors including web only, cAlgo (which is the piece you're interested in) and cMirror - although they do also have an API access via cServer which gives you low level API access.
If you go the API route might I also suggest that you run your EA on several RPs at the same time and use a 'consensus' based approach to market entry and exit - this will get you around the problem (to a certain extent) of having a poor correlation between back testing and live performance (back testing gives you every single tick, live trading does not - therefore if you have a couple of machines accessing the same price feed you will capture a slight variation on ticks and so the aggregate of the trading decisions will be the 'right' decision for your strategy.

Hope that helps,
Paul.

talker1

Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:38 pm

I cannot find examples for Metatrader under Windows 10 for IoT.

Here, the only way x86 metatrader connected to a broker on raspberry was on jessie 3g/1g split with exagear and wine, but the program was not responding at one step (the speed is a problem and exagear isn't open source, why to search more in this way?).

Francoix_Badreau

Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:16 pm

Actually, there is a case of installation Metatrader on Raspberry Pi. Here it is.

Download and Set up ExaGear Desktop (it's an emulator offered - you can use whatever emulator you like)

1. So, as the first step, you need to get your ExaGear Desktop. As soon as you are done with the purchase, you’ll receive an email with detailed tutorials on what to do. You need to have it in front of you when you are working with the Pi.

Then enter to Downloads directory via the command line:

$ cd /home/pi/Downloads

2. You are now inside the folder with ExaGear Desktop archive and a license key. Unpack the archive:

$ tar -xvzpf exagear-desktop-rpi*.tar.gz

3. And install ExaGear:

$ sudo ./install-exagear.sh

Launch guest x86 system

4. For x86 soft to run properly you need to start x86 guest system:

$ exagear

Starting the shell in the guest image /opt/exagear/images/debian-8

Check if you’re in the x86 environment with the help of the ‘arch’ command:

$ arch

You should see the following result

i686

Install Wine

5. Don’t be afraid! This is not another software to be bought. It is a simple additional application that will help you to port MetaTrader to your ARM device. The command is:

$ sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install wine winbind -y

6. After completing the installation you will have to get inside the “Downloads” directory again for your convenience.

$ cd /home/pi/Downloads

Set Up MetaTrader 4

7. As we are working on Raspberry Pi, you need to download it on Raspberry Pi. For downloading a proper version you’d better ask your personal broker about that or download it from the official website of your broker (whatever you are working with).

8. As soon as downloading is finished, launch the installation:

$ wine ./metatrader.exe

This command will open up the MetaTrader installation manager just as if it was on a Windows device. So, simply follow this manager, agree with all the default options and wait until the installation is done.

Run MetaTrader 4

9. To start MetaTrader 4 simply double click on the icon on the Raspbian interface desktop. That’s it. Now it is time to program the best strategies for MetaTrader to implement it 24/7!

If you do need particularly ExaGear for setting up MetaTrader 4 on Raspberry Pi, please google ExaGear Desktop and this will lead you to the product page. If you want to read article more in detail, please google -- Metatrader 4 on Raspberry Pi ExaGear Desktop -- This will certainly lead you to the article.

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:47 pm

Note that the above solution is meant for RASPBIAN, not for WIN10IOT, and its also a commercial solution.
It emulates an X86 processor so you can run WINE under X86 Linux, emulation is very slow by nature.

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:50 pm

talker1 wrote:I cannot find examples for Metatrader under Windows 10 for IoT.

Here, the only way x86 Metatrader connected to a broker on raspberry was on jessie 3g/1g split with exagear and wine, but the program was not responding at one step (the speed is a problem and exagear isn't open source, why to search more in this way?).
Metatrader CANNOT run under Windows 10 for IOT, as Windows 10 for IOT only shares the kernel with the desktop version of Windows you think off. On top of that Metatrader is an intel X86 program. NOT an ARM program.
running any x86 emulation system on a P (such as Exagear) I is interesting but NOT practical, but your mileage may vary.
Also note that not all Windows software will run under WINE.

t126tank

Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:57 am

Francoix_Badreau, thanks a lot for your idea!
I followed your way and get my own broker mt4 worked on RP3. BTW, it is a japanese company Rakuten FX.

Return to “Windows 10 for IoT”