timjstone

Re: PIXEL desktop: Large menu folders crash taskbar

Fri Sep 30, 2016 10:59 pm

copying the previous command, but switching to root, should do it

Code: Select all

sudo su
for file in $(find /var/lib/menu-xdg/applications/menu-xdg -name "*.desktop"); do if [[ -n $(grep -IRiL "Icon" $file) ]] ; then echo "Patching File: $file" ; sudo echo "Icon=application-x-executable">>$file; fi;  done
tim

cjan

Fri Sep 30, 2016 11:09 pm

timjstone wrote:copying the previous command, but switching to root, should do it
thanks, Other folder is back, although inside folder is ugly.

spl23
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Sat Oct 01, 2016 9:21 am

I'm glad people have been able to fix the problem by editing the files in /var/lib/menu-xdg - it's a bit of an overkill solution, but if it works, go for it - it won't do any harm. (Those are the default Debian desktop files - they shouldn't actually appear in the menus of a vanilla Raspbian install, but something somewhere is changing settings for some people so that happens - I've not yet worked out what is doing that.)

CraigV

Menu editor "Cancel" destroys previously added items

Sat Oct 01, 2016 11:40 pm

@spl23
There is a different menu editor problem that has caused me much frustration. If you add new menus (with items) all is fine, but if later you accidentally open the menu editor and then click Cancel, your new menu items disappear. I have been backing up the alacarte files as a precaution, but clicking Cancel on the menu editor should not destroy anything.

It would be wonderful if you could fix that while you are into the menu editor fixing the Icon problem?

spl23

Mon Oct 03, 2016 9:36 am

This bug has now been fixed - it was an error in the icon code in the menu plugin which I introduced while trying to fix another problem.

A fixed version is now available in apt - to get it, open a terminal and type:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
and then reboot.

If you still have problems with the menu crashing after that, please post to this thread to let me know.

Apologies to everyone affected for the inconvenience.

CraigV

Sun Oct 09, 2016 2:04 pm

Regarding the loss of alacarte entries when using Cancel on the menu editor:

I have not solved this problem, but gained some information that might be useful.
The file ~/.config/menus/lxde-pi-applications.menu is deleted when the menu editor is closed using its Cancel button. At the same time, the cache file in ~/.cache/menus/ is replaced with one that no longer contains the alacarte entries. Putting saved copies of those files back in place does not immediately bring back the alacarte menus, but subsequent rebooting does. Presumably, the undesired menu cache is still in memory until the reboot. (The alacarte menus and directories in ~/.local/share/applications/ and ~/.local/share/desktop-directories/ are unchanged by using the Cancel button.)

Clicking the OK button on the menu editor does not mess up the alacarte menus. I wonder why the developer chose to configure the Cancel button as it is? There might be some good reason, but surely a fix is possible.

spl23

Sat Oct 15, 2016 9:02 pm

lcd_rotate is nothing to do with PIXEL - it's taken care of by the low-level firmware. Nothing I can do to help on problems with it, I'm afraid!

KQV.radio

Tue May 23, 2017 4:15 pm

"by CraigV » Sat Oct 01, 2016 11:40 pm
@spl23
There is a different menu editor problem that has caused me much frustration. If you add new menus (with items) all is fine, but if later you accidentally open the menu editor and then click Cancel, your new menu items disappear. "
=====
I know for a fact that in the past I had opened the menu editor to change or add something but on second thought changed my mind and hit cancel with no apparent ill effects. The problem could very well have been there but at least it wasn't something that was repeatable. My other two PI's that don't have the update being discussed don't seem to have this issue.) So far :-^)

However, after installing the recommended '-UPDATE ???-':

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

I can confirm that I now have the above mentioned issue when clicking the '-CANCEL-' icon in the main menu editor!

ALSO:

'-UPDATE ???-' did indeed create a directory at /home/pi with the name "oldconffiles" but none of the changes I've made along the way before installing the update were in that directory.

Instead all of my changes ended up in main menu, '-Other-' which previously had no entries in it.

When I tried to fix the mess by re-creating my previous menus is when I discovered that the main menu editor is now pretty much useless to me as now when I bring it up I can make what appear to be changes to the menu layout but those changes never appear in the actual menu.

NOTE: Not being able to make changes to the main menu seems to be related to the files in:
/home/pi/.local/share
But I'm still working on tracking this problem down.

At this point I can't even remember why I installed this update, but had I known the issues and wasted time it was going to cause I would have never bothered with it.

I'm now beginning to have much the same attitude toward Pixel as with other upgrades in the past:

"IF IT AIN'T BROKE, DON'T FIX IT !!!"

In other words, don't install every update that comes along and if possible, ONLY install the update needed to fix a specific problem that you know the system has.

I want to thank everyone that has worked so hard to make the PI what it is today. This message is only meant to alert those working with the PI that all is still not well with the menu editor and to be careful when installing updates that you may not need!.

KQV.radio

Tue May 23, 2017 6:25 pm

Just found out one more thing the recent '-UPDATE ???-' did was:

DELETE ALL MY Wi-Fi configs and any reference to the board having a Wi-Fi interface!

Not only that, I now no longer have the ability to turn Wi-Fi on and off (from the desktop) nor create any new connections (from the desktop) which actually makes sense since the desktop '-thinks-' the board has no Wi-Fi interface of any type. The desktop reports, "No wireless interfaces found".

The only connections that appear normal (from the desktop) after the update are bluetooth and wired "eth0"..

Interestingly, all interfaces still work from the command prompt which I used to turn internal wlan0 back on and configure. Same with wlan1 which is an external USB Wi-Fi dongle that I use from time to time.

I don't know why this update went so badly, but it did more damage than good...

Fortunately, I have a backup before this whole mess started.

I went back to it and everything is back to normal.

Johnny_quattro

Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:17 pm

I've just encountered this on one of my Raspberry Pi 3 computers and used a quick script to locate the culprits:

for a in `locate *.desktop`
do echo "Checking file $a"
cat $a | grep Icon
if [ $? = 0 ]; then sleep .25; echo "Found Icon entry in $a"
else echo "************************** NOT FOUND in $a **************************"
fi
done

This relies on the mlocate database which should run daily. If you need to run it manually, perform a 'sudo updatedb' before running the above script.
You will need to edit the errant .desktop file (more than likely using root) and add the entry 'Icon=application-x-executable' as required.

My two dodgy files were as follows:

/usr/share/applications/libreoffice-xsltfilter.desktop
/usr/share/xsessions/kodi.desktop

fruitoftheloom

Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:43 pm

Johnny_quattro wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:17 pm
I've just encountered this on one of my Raspberry Pi 3 computers and used a quick script to locate the culprits:

for a in `locate *.desktop`
do echo "Checking file $a"
cat $a | grep Icon
if [ $? = 0 ]; then sleep .25; echo "Found Icon entry in $a"
else echo "************************** NOT FOUND in $a **************************"
fi
done

This relies on the mlocate database which should run daily. If you need to run it manually, perform a 'sudo updatedb' before running the above script.
You will need to edit the errant .desktop file (more than likely using root) and add the entry 'Icon=application-x-executable' as required.

My two dodgy files were as follows:

/usr/share/applications/libreoffice-xsltfilter.desktop
/usr/share/xsessions/kodi.desktop

The PixeL Desktop was retired and replaced by Raspberry Pi Desktop 6 months ago......
Retired disgracefully.....
This at present is my daily "computer" https://www.asus.com/us/Chrome-Devices/Chromebit-CS10/

Johnny_quattro

Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:48 am

My desktop/GUI is now working 100% correctly and it wasn't before.

Return to “Raspbian”