https://github.com/PowerShell/PowerShell

Still, the answer is yes.

chispito

Re: Powershell for Raspbian?

Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:52 pm

Heater wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:49 am
Djarid,
Pipelining entire objects instead of just the stdout alone is sufficient to want to have this in raspbian.
CecilWard,
The object pipeline thing is so sensible.
Could either of you tell me how pipelining objects in shell commands is in anyway useful on an OS where none of the programs that run on it support piping objects in or out?

In fact can you give me an example of when piping objects is useful ?

To my mind the ultimate simplicity of Unix pipes just shoveling byte streams around is one of the main strengths of a Unix system. One can connect anything to anything even if those programs were developed independently and have no knowledge of each other.

If I want to pipe objects around I can overlay that on top of Unix pipes by using JSON format or Protocol Buffers or whatever I like.
Hi. Long time raspberry-pi noodler, first time poster (in my other bag at home I still have my model B with 256 MB RAM, and I have a Zerow W in my everyday bag). I have five years experience using PowerShell day in day out for my job.

PowerShell (PS) is not, unequivocally, better than Bash. For most of your typical Unixy tasks, Bash will perform far faster than the equivalent PS, while consuming far less memory and fewer cycles. But that doesn't mean an object oriented shell scripting language is useless. PS accepts stdin/stdout, so you can still use it with the existing Unix binaries you're used to. Essentially, you can still "connect anything to anything" with PowerShell in Linux, now including objects, and all the sanity they bring to structured data and more complex tasks.

If you read that and think, "Well why wouldn't I use Python instead?" then use Python. More options are better than fewer.

TwoSeven

Sat Dec 08, 2018 2:42 am

I would like to see both PowerShell and Visual Studio Code on Rasbian - in the development tools menu'

I do a lot of cross platform development, and, now that Visual Studio Code is supported on linux and Visual Studio has linux support, it would be good to use a common scripting environment.

For those that dont know powershell - common script commands like ls, curl etc. all have an alias so that they work on windows.

What this means is we can write a script using a syntax we are familiar with (bash or powershell) and it works cross platform.

Given Raspberry PI devices were originally created for learning, it would make sense to me to see these two tools available.,

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:21 am

TwoSeven wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 2:42 am
I would like to see both PowerShell and Visual Studio Code on Rasbian - in the development tools menu'

I do a lot of cross platform development, and, now that Visual Studio Code is supported on linux and Visual Studio has linux support, it would be good to use a common scripting environment.

For those that dont know powershell - common script commands like ls, curl etc. all have an alias so that they work on windows.

What this means is we can write a script using a syntax we are familiar with (bash or powershell) and it works cross platform.

Given Raspberry PI devices were originally created for learning, it would make sense to me to see these two tools available.,
Both up to microsoft to implement. We won't be doing anything like that.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Please direct all questions to the forum, I do not do support via PM.

bensimmo

Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:51 am

While both work on Raspbian are Open Source an use the MIT license

Powershell is "unsupported" and you have to build it.
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powers ... wershell-6
Similar with Code.

It would, I hope, need to be supported and installable via apt.
Still probably more technical most in education need for the RP Desktop, though Code is probably better than Geany.?

DirkS

Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:16 am

bensimmo wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:51 am
Similar with Code.

It would, I hope, need to be supported and installable via apt.
Still probably more technical most in education need for the RP Desktop, though Code is probably better than Geany.?
'headmelted' builds vscode releases for the Pi (and other platforms) and it works very well

bensimmo

Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:57 am

That's why I know it works, but it's not in 'apt for raspbian' so the recommended add/remove usage, it would also need to go past whoever decides what gets put in the Desktop

(James who decides? Engineers, the Education people at the Foundation, Mr Long or a toss of a coin? )

It does however work easily on RPDx86 once you remember to grab the 32bit version and sets up it repository all ready for you.
Last edited by bensimmo on Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

DirkS

Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:01 am

bensimmo wrote:
That's why I know it works, but it's not in 'apt for raspbian' so the recommended add/remove usage, it would also need to go past whoever decides what gets put in the Desktop

(James who decides? Engineers, the Education people at the Foundation, Mr Long or a toss of a coin? )
No, it's not in the RPF and Raspbian repos.
It's in the 'headmelted' repo and you install it with apt and it gets auto-updated, etc.
Just like a lot of other programs (mosquitto, docker, etc)

bensimmo

Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:08 am

DirkS wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:01 am
bensimmo wrote:

No, it's not in the RPF and Raspbian repos.
It's in the 'headmelted' repo and you install it with apt and it gets auto-updated, etc.
Just like a lot of other programs (mosquitto, docker, etc)
Ah sorry, last time I was there I was having to build myself. Must have another look and find my card with it on (I use it on RPDx86 mainly).
Thanks for the correction.
Still for it to be in Desktop Raspbian, it would need to be in the RPF/Raspbian repo (or Debian ?) the part TwoSeven wants.

Return to “Raspbian”