ab1jx

Google Earth on a Pi?

Mon Sep 05, 2016 1:36 pm

I was very surprised to find make-googleearth-package because I assumed Google would only distribute an i386 binary. So I installed the deb from Synaptic, ran it, and it starts downloading GoogleEarthLinux.bin.

Before I spend hours downloading it could someone tell me if this is an ARM binary? I guess I can believe the Pi has a big enough userbase that Google could be bothered. I had Google Earth on an i386 machine under Debian once, it was handy.

hal8000

Re: Google Earth on a Pi?

Mon Sep 05, 2016 2:13 pm

No google only provide downloads for 32 and 64 bit debian and RPM packages.
Nothing for arm, so it wont work.

The file command will give details about any file, here's the output looking at "lsof"

[email protected]:/usr/bin$ file lsof
lsof: ELF 32-bit LSB shared object, ARM, EABI5 version 1 (SYSV), dynamically linked, interpreter /lib/ld-linux-armhf.so.3, for GNU/Linux 2.6.26, BuildID[sha1]=6d3c6abb4dd1f27438f69b5da1adc7c76fe4b917, stripped

You would have to download google earth source code, have an appropriate tool chain and cross
compile to get this to work on the raspberry Pi.

ab1jx

Re: Google Earth on a Pi?

Mon Sep 05, 2016 2:50 pm

OK, thank you, that's what I thought. So make-googleearth-package probably shouldn't be in the Raspbian debs at all. If somebody at raspberrypi.org could build an ARM binary and distribute it that would be one thing, but I doubt Google's licensing allows that.

From the description:
Google Earth is available for GNU/Linux from their web site, but is
non-free software and is undistributable. It also does not integrate
well into a Debian system.

This utility makes it possible to build your own personal Debian
package of Google Earth. The packaging itself is Free Software, but
the Google Earth program is governed by the copyright holder (Google),
so you may be limited as to what you can do with the resulting
package (i.e. no redistribution, etc).
If running make-google-earth-package is downloading an incompatible binary that sounds like another reason to take it out of Raspbian.

I haven't looked at whether Google puts the source online or not, I was suprised at how much Android stuff is. Gigabytes of it. Anyway I'm glad I didn't waste 3 hours plus downloading something that isn't going to work.

I doubt it but if Mathematica gave the Pi a special license I thought Google might have too. http://www.google.com/earth/download/ge/agree.html

Return to “General discussion”