awillame

Aluminum enclosure for Raspberry Pi

Sat Aug 27, 2016 7:23 am

Hello,

We are a company designing high-quality, anodized aluminum enclosure for the latest Raspberry Pi 3, that allow to cool the Pi passively using the enclosure as a heatsink.

You can find more information on our shop. We'd like to know your feedback and what you think of it!

Cheers,
Last edited by awillame on Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:19 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Aluminum case for Raspberry Pi 3:
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=158301

karrika

Re: Aluminum enclosure for Raspberry Pi

Sat Aug 27, 2016 8:03 am

The idea to use the case as a heat sink is cool. Do you have any experience in how the aluminum case affects the range of Raspberry Pi 3 bluetooth and WiFi on the pcb?

epoch1970

Sat Aug 27, 2016 9:22 am

karrika wrote:The idea to use the case as a heat sink is cool. Do you have any experience in how the aluminum case affects the range of Raspberry Pi 3 bluetooth and WiFi on the pcb?
I was told the FLIRC case, which is made of alu and designed to dissipate cpu heat as well, made for Pi 2 but Pi 3 compatible, does not affect built in wifi coverage.
I didn't verify that myself.
"S'il n'y a pas de solution, c'est qu'il n'y a pas de problème." Les Shadoks, J. Rouxel

flop123

Sat Aug 27, 2016 11:11 am

I love it !!! but, you could put some thermal test, and Europe wants some cases too XD.

awillame

Sun Aug 28, 2016 5:14 pm

karrika wrote:The idea to use the case as a heat sink is cool. Do you have any experience in how the aluminum case affects the range of Raspberry Pi 3 bluetooth and WiFi on the pcb?
We did test the range with the prototypes of the enclosure, with a stock Raspberry Pi hosting its own Wifi network, and another Raspberry Pi 3 with the aluminum enclosure, placed approximately 1m from each other. We tested the range and quality of reception between 1m and 30m. We got an average loss of 1 to 4 dbm with our enclosure, which we think is negligible. We have an range for the Wifi of around 0.5-1m reduced as compared to the stock Raspberry Pi (at around 30m).

For the story, we actually first made prototypes with external antennas (and resoldering of the built in Wifi module on the Pi), before realizing we had nearly identical Wifi quality with our enclosure and the stock antenna!
Last edited by awillame on Thu Jan 26, 2017 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GoCustomized

Tue Oct 04, 2016 9:02 am

It looks really good!

linux_author

Tue Oct 04, 2016 9:25 am

epoch1970 wrote: I was told the FLIRC case, which is made of alu and designed to dissipate cpu heat as well, made for Pi 2 but Pi 3 compatible, does not affect built in wifi coverage.
i have the FLIRC case - it is in use 24/7 for a small print/music server - the case works very well and certainly does seem to effectively reduce heat

not this is really a problem for the RPi3 unless it is put into use in warmer ambient conditions; for example, i have one installed in a garage with no heatsink in a clear plastic case, doing weather monitoring for temp, humidity, and barometrics, - even when the garage hits 90F, the RPi reports less than 130F

the FLIRC case keeps my RPi at 114F in 77F ambient conditions and wifi works fine through a concrete wall to the router

on_topic: i like the looks of this new case! it takes a lot of work to design accuracy - does the new case come with spare thermal pads? i'd bet most users, including me, seem to take apart a case at least once - when that happens, a new pad would be great to have on hand

willie
on the rapidly warming Gulf of Mexico

Ronaldlees

Thu Oct 06, 2016 1:25 pm

Really unique idea to use the case itself as the heat sink. I did something similar myself with a Hammond aluminum enclosure, but I had to do all the work. Your's is done!

At 2.4 GHz, a quarter-wave wavelength is about an inch, which is so short that a very small hole is plenty of room for its escape with low to moderate loss. With only a couple 3/4 inch holes in an otherwise solid Hammond (aluminum) box, I've noticed only moderately depreciated WiFi and wireless keyboard/mouse performance issues, although those were directional (seemed to favor the direction of the holes). Under certain conditions the case itself will radiate.

It's tougher than it sounds to "rf proof" a metal box.
Last edited by Ronaldlees on Thu Oct 06, 2016 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am the Umbrella man: IR3/IR5 UV a/b/c OTS specs: break free, live life. Note that red cannot be seen with IR lenses, so cross at stop lights only on white walk signals, don't drive or operate machinery with lenses on, and don't use in low light.

awillame

Thu Oct 06, 2016 1:36 pm

linux_author wrote:
epoch1970 wrote: I was told the FLIRC case, which is made of alu and designed to dissipate cpu heat as well, made for Pi 2 but Pi 3 compatible, does not affect built in wifi coverage.
i have the FLIRC case - it is in use 24/7 for a small print/music server - the case works very well and certainly does seem to effectively reduce heat

not this is really a problem for the RPi3 unless it is put into use in warmer ambient conditions; for example, i have one installed in a garage with no heatsink in a clear plastic case, doing weather monitoring for temp, humidity, and barometrics, - even when the garage hits 90F, the RPi reports less than 130F

the FLIRC case keeps my RPi at 114F in 77F ambient conditions and wifi works fine through a concrete wall to the router

on_topic: i like the looks of this new case! it takes a lot of work to design accuracy - does the new case come with spare thermal pads? i'd bet most users, including me, seem to take apart a case at least once - when that happens, a new pad would be great to have on hand

willie
on the rapidly warming Gulf of Mexico
Very interesting point, thank you for sharing. We will definitely provide our product with spare thermal pads!

Regards,

Soul Reaver

Sun Oct 16, 2016 2:21 am

This was the smart passive cooling case idea that I've had in mind and I was searching for who realized the same idea.
Good job guys.

ok200

Thu Oct 27, 2016 3:32 am

This is a great looking case. I'm definitely going in on a pre-order. Thanks!

rsync

Tue Nov 01, 2016 3:57 pm

Something along the sonos connect or slice chassi would be nice.

Cheers

jbeale

Tue Nov 01, 2016 5:15 pm

Beautiful design, and a good idea with the power dissipation of a RPi 3 (it does get hot, if you run it hard). I was waiting for someone to come out with such a design.

Now I'm hoping someone will come out with a bent-sheetmetal version of this at a lower price point.

pws

Wed Nov 02, 2016 2:30 pm

So these are $50.01 EACH and do NOT include a Raspberry Pi - am I missing something?

tweak42

Tue Nov 08, 2016 7:52 pm

pws wrote:So these are $50.01 EACH and do NOT include a Raspberry Pi - am I missing something?
Yes, quality milled aluminum work in small quantities is expensive.

awillame

Tue Nov 15, 2016 8:41 pm

Hi all,

The enclosures are finally available on our recently opened store! We have worked hard to provide the best quality possible and make the enclosure available to as many people as possible.

@Ronaldlees: We have also took your comment into account, and are providing four thermal pads with our enclosure, to ensure you can have spare thermal pads. Here are some photos:

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image

More images are available here.

Regards,

kreisler

Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:56 pm

I've tried to contact MA, are they still around? ;)
Last edited by kreisler on Sun Mar 12, 2017 1:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

awillame

Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:46 pm

Hi kreisler,

Thanks for your comment! We have unfortunately not received your message, can you please send your message directly to contact@mechatronicsart.com? We would answer to you as soon as possible.

All of our enclosure are now sold out. We are looking for larger productions now, so as to be able to sustain the demand.We still allow back-orders on our store, as we receive the new enclosures soon. There are some reviews of our product on the Tindie website.

Cheers,

runboy93

Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:04 pm

I bought cheaper Aluminum case from AliExpress, with passive cooler function for SoC, ethernet and RAM, around 10 dollars. Black and silver colors.

kreisler

Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:58 pm

Great to hear that this product release is real, wow!! :o
Last edited by kreisler on Sun Mar 12, 2017 1:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

runboy93

Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:05 am

Black: https://m.aliexpress.com/item/32740120410.html
Silver: https://m.aliexpress.com/item/32742883169.html

Pretty good reviews, there are just few bad reviews (regarding about paint quality, but no screenshots provided, so might be just false)

awillame

Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:59 pm

runboy93 wrote:Black: https://m.aliexpress.com/item/32740120410.html
Silver: https://m.aliexpress.com/item/32742883169.html

Pretty good reviews, there are just few bad reviews (regarding about paint quality, but no screenshots provided, so might be just false)
Our enclosure are completely anodized and have better cooling performances than the cheaper ones ;)

zjdrummond

Tue Mar 28, 2017 4:03 am

These cases look freaking tight. I'm totally buying one. Wish that yellow was gold though!

kreisler

Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:26 am

zjdrummond wrote:Wish that yellow was gold though!
I have one yellow-gold in transit and i am going to review it including youtube video.

I opted for the most economic shipping option, Surface Mail, let's see how long it takes to my place in Germany.
The wait begins! :ugeek:

runboy93

Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:59 pm

I got reply from Akasa, they are going to build new case with direct contact passive cooling, which is awesome.

They just released new variant of their RPi case, with hole for external antenna, RA02.

Return to “Other projects”