prupert

Expand My Imaged Noobs Install To Use All SD Card Space

Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:58 pm

Hi

I have a Raspi 2b+ (one of many Raspis I own). I installed Rasbian on it via Noobs around 1 year ago and made many modifications to the install (mainly hacking my own PIR powered ambilight / picture slide show). Annoyingly I did all this on an 8GB card that has now run out of space due to the photos I store on it (for the picture slide show)

I have a larger card and I assumed I could image the 8GB card (using win32diskimager) and write that to a larger 64GB card and then simply run raspi-config and select the Expand File system option). BUT, when I do this, I get a message saying it looks like I used Noobs and the filesystem is already expanded, which it isn't as df -h still lists the 64GB card as 8GB :(

I have found this info: http://elinux.org/RPi_Resize_Flash_Partitions but these instructions (the manual instructions) seem to be written for non Noobs installs and I was concerned if I went ahead, I might bork my install entirely since it is Noobs based.

Any one any ideas how to get round this?

fruitoftheloom

Re: Expand My Imaged Noobs Install To Use All SD Card Space

Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:13 pm

The latest release of Raspbian Jessie has SD Card Copier: https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/anothe ... e-raspbian ??????

The program does not restrict you to only copying to a card the same size as the source; you can copy to a larger card if you are running out of space on your existing one, or even to a smaller card (as long as it has enough space to store all your files – the program will warn you if there isn’t enough space). It has been designed to work with Raspbian and NOOBS images; it may work with other OSes or custom card formats, but this can’t be guaranteed.
Retired disgracefully.....

prupert

Re: Expand My Imaged Noobs Install To Use All SD Card Space

Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:37 pm

Aha, if I simply apt-get updated (or apt-get dist-upgrade) would I get access to this tool?
Hope so, since that would be awesome.

Thanks for this info.

Return to “Advanced users”