xandorman

StolenBikePi revanche

Sat Jul 23, 2016 11:48 am

Hi all! i've been looking at this forum for a long time, and it inspired me to setup my own project, but: i think i need some help

What i want to do:
My bike get's stolen over and over. Its a common problem in the Netherlands: Whatever i do, even if i buy 4 bicycle locks: someone steels it. So, i want to take revanche! My idea: Build in a raspberry pi (zero?) into my bike, with a camera board and a GPS tracker. Once my bike gets stolen i want to be able to make pictures of the thief and locate my bike and get it back.

Its quite a challenge because there is not a lot of space on a bike, but my idea was to hide the camera in the bicycle bell and a raspberry pi zero inside the frame of the bike, including some batteries and a LTE dongle. But, even when i'm able to build in the raspberry pi and the camera: How in earth do i trigger the raspberry pi to boot up, when stolen? I want to prevent making selfies and draining the battery when not stolen, so it only needs to be turned on when stolen.

I had some idea's: Put some kind of button underneath the saddle and a motion detector; every time when i get on my bike i just press the button to let know that the bike is not stolen, if i do not press the button and motion is detected after a minute the raspberry pi turns on and as long is the battery holds its going to upload photos of the thief to my FTP server.

Is this doable? And, do you have some idea's about how to turn the pi on only when its gets stolen?

Of course i will share the whole project, and of course i will keep you posted when my bike get's stolen :)

JAVE

Re: StolenBikePi revanche

Tue Jul 26, 2016 12:41 pm

So now instead of just your bike getting stolen, you want your bike + RPi + camera + LTE dongle to get stolen? :?
You could try the Mr. Bean method of theft-prevention: Just remove a crucial bit (He removed the steering wheel), and the bike is
not very useful anymore for the thief.

xandorman

Tue Jul 26, 2016 1:51 pm

Haha, yea... but only removing a crucial part is not as fun as building a pi into my bike ;)

tvjon

Wed Jul 27, 2016 6:21 am

Most of the time I ride a folding bicycle, which has similar space available as a non-folder, but the space is much more accessible of course, although most of mine is already occupied by inner tubes, tools, etc..

One of the reasons we still have ours (not stolen) is because they are folding: most of the time they are with us!

A recent Rpi0 is probably the only option, using the small Rpi camera sensor, which could be mounted in a second, dummy front light for example.

Do you have:

lights ?

A hub dynamo?

What diameter is your seat tube?

Do you always carry a cell phone, & are you usually within a few hundred metres of your bicycle when it's parked up?

You could charge a battery from the Dynamo which in turn powers the 0. A cut down OS, say Jessie lite, might help to reduce boot time.

Motion sensors would be necessary, rather than say PIR, as you're in a very busy Country.

It'll be interesting to see how you progress. Good luck with your project.

Return to “Other projects”