WastedHat

Wireshark remote monitoring with GUI

Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:28 am

Hi, does anyone know how to monitor traffic on the Pi over a remote connection with the Wireshark GUI?

So far I've tried using the native X window server on OSX with

ssh -l pi -X 192.168.1.170 then wireshark, which opens Wireshark in OSX however there are no capture interfaces available and the funcationality isnt all there. I also get the an error in terminal which is a known bug but I'm not sure how it relates to wireshark not working properly.

"** (wireshark:1367): WARNING **: Error retrieving accessibility bus address: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.a11y.Bus was not provided by any .service files"

I also tried ssh -l pi 192.168.1.170 'tshark -f "port !22" -w -' | wireshark -k -i - but no luck, I only get the local interfaces on my Mac.

I'm using Tshark for now but I would prefer the GUI. Thanks for any help.

Romonga

Re: Wireshark remote monitoring with GUI

Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:45 am

Try gksudo wireshark after you ssh in with the -X option.
You can run, but you will only die tired.

WastedHat

Tue Jun 28, 2016 4:07 pm

Thanks for your reply. I tried what you suggested and it loads wireshark with the correct interfaces but it throws up a few warnings about running wireshark as root, as soon as I close the warnings wireshark quits with an error message.

(wireshark:2004): Gdk-WARNING **: wireshark: Fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X server localhost:10.0.

I followed this http://superuser.com/questions/319865/h ... -on-debian
to run wireshark without root and it opens without the warnings with the correct interfaces however when I click anything on the GUI it closes with the same error.

I'll just stick with Tshark for now and FTP the packet capture if I really need the GUI. Would be nice to have it live.

WastedHat

Tue Jun 28, 2016 4:08 pm

Forgot to add that I'm running Raspbian and its updated.

Romonga

Tue Jun 28, 2016 5:59 pm

WastedHat wrote:Forgot to add that I'm running Raspbian and its updated.
When you installed it. Did you do an sudo apt-get install wireshark ?

broe23

Wed Jun 29, 2016 1:46 am

Did you happen to read through the Wireshark Wiki, especially this part? https://wiki.wireshark.org/CaptureSetup
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good.

WastedHat

Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:29 am

Romonga wrote:
WastedHat wrote:Forgot to add that I'm running Raspbian and its updated.
When you installed it. Did you do an sudo apt-get install wireshark ?
Yes

WastedHat

Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:32 am

broe23 wrote:Did you happen to read through the Wireshark Wiki, especially this part? https://wiki.wireshark.org/CaptureSetup
I had a quick read through but I don't have time to explore the links in detail. It runs ok locally on the Pi, it's just being temperamental when I try to get the GUI over SSH.

Romonga

Wed Jun 29, 2016 3:38 pm

WastedHat wrote:
broe23 wrote:Did you happen to read through the Wireshark Wiki, especially this part? https://wiki.wireshark.org/CaptureSetup
I had a quick read through but I don't have time to explore the links in detail. It runs ok locally on the Pi, it's just being temperamental when I try to get the GUI over SSH.
I also had issues running the GUI over ssh. gksudo solved that issue for me. I understand you did try it and it failed.

Return to “Troubleshooting”