msharma

Raspberry Pi - camera, reducing power consumption

Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:01 am

Hi, I'm just starting a Raspberry Pi and am planning to use the model A+. I am planning to use a camera module. I was wondering whether there are any options to reduce its power consumption, I read that the current draw is 250mA, any way this could be reduced?

Furthermore, the camera's are generally connected using 15cm ribbon cables. I was wondering whether this distance could be extended without any loss in picture quality.

Thanks

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Re: Raspberry Pi - camera, reducing power consumption

Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:16 am

Yes, you can extend the ribbon cable. There may be some degradation at larger distances due to signal loss, but its usually not too bad.

The camera takes about 200-250mA. There isn't anything you can do to change that. It's a large silicon die with lots of transistors on it, about 5 or 6 per pixel, plus other items like capacitors. That takes power and there is no way, AFAIK, of turning off chunk of the die. In fact, I suspect it's not physically possible to do.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

msharma

Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:17 am

What sort of distance do you think I could get on the ribbon cable? Ideally a few meters but I understand that this is very unfeasible, but I can't really think of an alternative.

Could I not drop the framerate on the camera to reduce power?

Thanks for your response!

jamesh

Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:26 am

msharma wrote:What sort of distance do you think I could get on the ribbon cable? Ideally a few meters but I understand that this is very unfeasible, but I can't really think of an alternative.

Could I not drop the framerate on the camera to reduce power?

Thanks for your response!
There is a thread in the camera forum talking about long cable lengths, Google should find it.

I don't think framerate has any influence on power consumption. The sensor is always working. But I could be wrong; if the readout is less frequent, it might use less power - you would need a camera HW expert to help out there.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

mikerr

Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:31 am

I found dropping resolution saves quite a bit of power

(recording in 720p instead of 1080 )

viewtopic.php?f=63&t=147687&start=25#p985213
Android app - Raspi Card Imager - download and image SD cards - No PC required !

msharma

Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:33 am

mikerr wrote:I found dropping resolution saves quite a bit of power

(recording in 720p instead of 1080 )

viewtopic.php?f=63&t=147687&start=25#p985213
That is very good actually, thank you for that information!! I'm working on a project which is very sensitive to power consumption.

Ive also managed to find a forum post which extended the ribbon cable to 4m, and apparently it worked well. I'm not sure about this, it is likely that skew will be a big problem.

pi-anazazi

Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:14 am

Hi!

I have a cam with a 2m cable and with fast (!) moving of the cam I saw some problems in the past that the films appeared some kind of "fragmented", however, with normal movement that should not be a problem.

Power saving: turn off video output? Turn off USB? There are some infos on this here on the formum ;-)
Kind regards

anazazi

msharma

Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:20 am

pi-anazazi wrote:Hi!

I have a cam with a 2m cable and with fast (!) moving of the cam I saw some problems in the past that the films appeared some kind of "fragmented", however, with normal movement that should not be a problem.

Power saving: turn off video output? Turn off USB? There are some infos on this here on the formum ;-)
Hi, the current plan is using the camera as a rear camera, car will be moving at maybe 50 mph. Is it speed or acceleration that seems to affect it? It is likely that images are quite ... stable.

pi-anazazi

Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:26 am

Yeah, your picture should be quite stable, I guess.

I was moving at maybe 30-40 km/h, camera perspective was from approx. 16 m above, moving at a little higher speed...

Thought about your application, too. I would use the 12 V power supply in your car (there are USB-plugs for the car net, should give you 5V....) and put the cam in the car boot (short cam cable, maybe 1 m should work) ;-)
Kind regards

anazazi

bensimmo

Fri Jul 01, 2016 6:58 am

To save power you turn it off when no in use in the programming, though you'll have a short delay when turning it back on.

Have you thought about locating the pi nearer the camera, if space is a problem then maybe the Zero could be used. They have a similar power usage.

Return to “Beginners”