jjblumenfeld

Pi 3 Bluetooth Keyboard Repeating Keys

Sat May 07, 2016 2:50 pm

Hi,
I have a raspberry pi 3 running Raspbian and I am trying to use a bluetooth keyboard and mouse with it. I am able to successfully pair/connect both of these but the keyboard consistently gives problems with either repeating keys randomly or not registering key clicks. The mouse seems to work fine.

Things I have tried:
Updated (update/dist-upgrade)
Tried different keyboards (Logitech K380 and an apple keyboard)
Having read online about power issues I have also tried a different power supply. Original one is rated as 5volt/2.5amp and also tried one rated as 5volt/2amp.

Any other things to try?

Thanks!

/jeremy

jdb
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Re: Pi 3 Bluetooth Keyboard Repeating Keys

Sat May 07, 2016 4:41 pm

Are you connected via wifi? What happens if you instead connect via Ethernet (or disassociate from the wireless AP)?
Rockets are loud.
https://astro-pi.org

dukla2000

Sun May 08, 2016 7:40 pm

As per jdb, if you are also using the Pi3 onboard WiFi then I suspect you have the same issues I put in my thread over here. The ongoing avoidance that works flawlessly for me is a BT dongle and disable the onboard BT.
Daily driver: Pi3B, 64GB Samsung Evo+ @100MHz, DVB-T, onboard WiFi for internet, BT/USB dongle for KB/mouse, 250GB HDD via USB for media, Raspbian Jessie Lite with Openbox desktop.
Museum: Pi B

jjblumenfeld

Mon May 09, 2016 8:49 pm

Thanks.
I think I'll try getting an extra bluetooth dongle for it. I've also got a bluetooth speaker/microphone that I"d like to connect. It is pairing and connecting but the actual sound coming through is pretty flaky.

Is it pretty straightforward to disable the on-board bluetooth and enable the dongle?

/jeremy

igorrecio

Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:00 am

Hi everyone!

I bought this week my new RPi3 and Wifi and BT worked fine apparently!

Wifi connected to my home network perfectly, but I had some issues with integrated BT. I use an Apple Mouse and that is working fine. The problem is with the Apple BT Keyboard, it repeats keys, sometimes loses connection...

I decided to plug a USB mouse and use BT keyboard. Now keyboard works fine. I also tried pluging in a BT dongle, disable the integrated bluetooth

Code: Select all

sudo nano /boot/config.txt
-->

Code: Select all

dtoverlay=pi3-disable-bt
and connect mouse and keyboard to the dongle. That also worked fine!

By the way, I'm using a 1.2A/5V power supply, but RPi recomends 2.5A... maybe that's the problem... Tomorrow I will have my new 2.5A/5V power supply and I will try with the integrated BT again... Let's see what happens!

Thank you,

Igor

Casbar

Sat Oct 29, 2016 4:12 pm

Sorry for bumping an old thread, but I got my RPI 3 yesterday and am facing the same issue with Bluetooth keyboards. I'm using the CanaKit 5V 2.5A power supply. My keyboard is a Logitech K380. If I disable the built in WiFi, the keyboard works fine as reported by others. Would a different power supply such as the Raspberry Pi Universal power supply help? Is there any progress on this problem?

HoWil

Wed Nov 09, 2016 6:22 pm

No I do not think so. I use the 'official' power supply for the RPi3 from rs and do face the same problems. I use a cherry BT keyboard and some cheap mouse. The mouse works out of the box but I get repeated keys from the keyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyboard 8-) .
BR

HoWil

Fri Nov 11, 2016 9:00 am

I plugged in an usb-wifi and turned off the internal wifi via the gui and the keyboard works fine 8-) .
So, it seems that it is not possible to use onboard wifi and onboard BT with a BT-keyboard and BT-mouse at the same time :( .

BR

Return to “Troubleshooting”