Phailo

Mounting a Seagate Personal Cloud NAS

Mon May 02, 2016 10:36 pm

Hi All

I am having some issues with my NAS and I have searched through many forums and websites and nothing seems to help me solve my problems.

Problem 1
So I have been able to mount my NAS (Seagate Personal Cloud) manually. Using the below

sudo mount -t cifs -o username=username,password=password//192.168.1.4/Public /mnt/PersonalCloud

I have even updated the /etc/fstab to try and automount on reboot again this is what I have

//192.168.1.4/Public /mnt/PersonalCloud cifs username=username,password=password 0 0

This works using sudo mount -a but does not work automatically when rebooted
does anyone suggestions for this?

Problem 2
My second issue is that I can only write to this using root, no other users have permissions I want to give pi access but chmod does not work, neither does chmod -R, I can edit permissions of /mnt/PersonalCloud when unmounted but they change once I mount the NAS and then cant be changed,

does anyone have suggestions for this?

I am new to RPi so everything I have done below has come from searching forums and any help is greatly appreciated

Thanks
Phailo

gman98

Re: Mounting a Seagate Personal Cloud NAS

Tue May 03, 2016 8:48 pm

Try this in your /etc/fstab instead

Code: Select all

//192.168.1.4/Public /mnt/PersonalCloud cifs username=username,password=password,uid=1000,gid=1000,iocharset=utf8,noauto,x-systemd.automount 0 0
Should solve both

armisis

Tue Aug 02, 2016 2:11 pm

I am having the same problem, the problem resides with the Seagate Personal Cloud NAS, if you do everything on it as ROOT then it works, but even when I've managed to mount it in fstab with 777 on the mount point and to my UID it still does not let my user account read or write into the drive, thus it is a CIFS configuration issue on the Seagate, I've contacted them and they told me that they do not support linux (even though the device's OS IS Linux), they said their business NAS support NFS which would work, and that is all the support I got from there. (I'll never buy Seagate again..)

Sooo, I am now trying to find ways to hack the thing, and I've seen notes about installing Debian on it. (I was thinking of doing that just to be able to use the storage as a NFS mount.)

Good luck,

Dave

zuraiman

Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:11 pm

If you are having the Single Bay NAS drives like Seagate Personal Cloud or the Western Digital My Cloud, they would not have SMB, CIFS or NFS. But they do have WebDAV for you to enable it from their Services menu. This means now you have the ability to install davfs2 package in Raspberry Pi. Open Terminal window and type:

pi@raspberry:~ $ sudo su
root@raspberry:/home/pi# apt-get install davfs2
root@raspberry:/home/pi# dpkg-reconfigure davfs2
root@raspberry:/home/pi# chmod u+s /usr/sbin/mount.davfs
root@raspberry:/home/pi# usermod -a -G davfs2 pi
root@raspberry:/home/pi# usermod -a -G pi davfs2
root@raspberry:/home/pi# mkdir /mnt/PlexPi
root@raspberry:/home/pi# nano /etc/fstab

While you edit /etc/fstab +------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
| proc /proc proc defaults 0 0 |
| /dev/mmcblk0p6 /boot vfat defaults 0 2 |
| /dev/mmcblk0p7 / ext4 defaults,noatime 0 1 |
| # a swapfile is not a swap partition, no line here |
| # use dphys-swapfile swap[on|off] for that |
this is the new line ---> | http://<your ip here>/<dav shares> /mnt/PlexPi davfs noauto,user 0 0 |
+-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+

root@raspberry:/home/pi# mount /mnt/PlexPi

Return to “Beginners”