halfpast3

Identify Full vs Lite

Mon May 02, 2016 2:34 pm

Greetings everyone, is there an easy way to identify Jessie Full vs Jessie Lite via ssh? I am trying to troubleshoot some instability amongst 10 units and I am building a matrix of specs. That is the one thing that I don't seem to be able to track down. I do not have access to a majority of the devices to simply plug in a monitor to look for a desktop.

I know I can get kernel version and ID the actual Pi board model, even down to UK or China manufacture, but tracking down Full vs Lite is escaping me. Additionally, is there a way to ID a build version of Jessie?

Many thanks!
Carl

MarkHaysHarris777

Re: Identify Full vs Lite

Mon May 02, 2016 3:54 pm

halfpast3 wrote: ... is there an easy way to identify Jessie Full vs Jessie Lite via ssh?
You could use any number of heuristics not limited to knowing the number of packages installed, knowing the kinds of packages 'missing' from the installation, and so on...

... but since the use is able to build the 'lite' version up into the 'full' version on their own, there probably is know way to know for sure.

Why does it matter, from your perspective? (just curious)

edit: PS, you can ID the kernel build, but, if I'm not mistaken both use exactly the same kernel image... the only difference between them is the number and kinds of packages that are not included in the lite version.
marcus
:ugeek:

ghans

Mon May 02, 2016 4:08 pm

Official foundation images have a file inside /boot called
issue.txt.

Also interesting :

Code: Select all

lsb_release -a
cat /etc/issue
ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org

Douglas6

Mon May 02, 2016 4:14 pm

Mark is correct. There is no difference between full and lite is the packages installed. Once you add or remove packages from a distribution, it is no longer 'full' or 'lite'. On a brand new installation, you could run 'startx'; it will fail on lite. Similarly for other packages; if you need it, test if it's there.

halfpast3

Mon May 02, 2016 6:06 pm

Thanks for the responses. The reason why it matters is I am trying to get a matrix of variables so that I can track down some random stability issues that I am seeing. There might be a component that is included in the full version and not in the lite version that is conflicting. I can narrow down commonalities with hardware info, kernel info, etc, but what I can't see, due to my lack of documenting which I used at setup time, is did I use Full or Lite.

I have tried lsb_release -a, but it merely shows Jessie 8.0, which works at a high level for my investigative purposes, however, all I have deployed is Jessie Ideally there is something that is indicative of an install of a full version of Jessie and a lite version. It seems that other than packages being removed from lite, there really is no difference. So, if I search for the presence of, for lack of a better example, Apache, and it is found, then there is a high probability of the install being the full version; a lack of Apache would provide a high probability of it being the Lite version.

Carl

ghans

Mon May 02, 2016 6:18 pm

As said , the lack of any X / LXDE related packages would be very telling and point towards Lite.

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org

DirkS

Mon May 02, 2016 6:21 pm

Looking for '/usr/bin/startx' should work, as long as X was not installed on the Lite images.

peterlite

Tue May 03, 2016 12:53 am

LXDE and some other software is different when added to Lite and compared to the version included in the full Raspbian. The differences also depend on which set of instructions you follow to install everything.

I would download the full package list from each machine and use something like Meld to compare the lists. You could automate the procedure to remove everything that is exactly the same in every machine.

The problem might be the same package but a different version.

halfpast3

Tue May 03, 2016 3:23 pm

Thanks everyone. I will search for LDXE components.

bneese

Sun Jun 21, 2020 4:02 am

I know this post is very old, but I ended up here with the same question and thought I would post what helped me.

ghans wrote: Official foundation images have a file inside /boot called
issue.txt.

ghans
As ghans said, there is an issue.txt file in /boot if you used the official image, so when I

Code: Select all

cat /boot/issue.txt
I got
Generated using pi-gen, https://github.com/RPi-Distro/pi-gen, stage2
I went to the github URL and found this:
Stage 1 - truly minimal system. This stage makes the system bootable by installing system files like /etc/fstab, configures the bootloader, makes the network operable, and installs packages like raspi-config. At this stage the system should boot to a local console from which you have the means to perform basic tasks needed to configure and install the system. This is as minimal as a system can possibly get, and its arguably not really usable yet in a traditional sense yet. Still, if you want minimal, this is minimal and the rest you could reasonably do yourself as sysadmin.

Stage 2 - lite system. This stage produces the Raspbian-Lite image. It installs some optimized memory functions, sets timezone and charmap defaults, installs fake-hwclock and ntp, wifi and bluetooth support, dphys-swapfile, and other basics for managing the hardware. It also creates necessary groups and gives the pi user access to sudo and the standard console hardware permission groups.

There are a few tools that may not make a whole lot of sense here for development purposes on a minimal system such as basic Python and Lua packages as well as the build-essential package. They are lumped right in with more essential packages presently, though they need not be with pi-gen. These are understandable for Raspbian's target audience, but if you were looking for something between truly minimal and Raspbian-Lite, here's where you start trimming.

Stage 3 - desktop system. Here's where you get the full desktop system with X11 and LXDE, web browsers, git for development, Raspbian custom UI enhancements, etc. This is a base desktop system, with some development tools installed.

Stage 4 - Normal Raspbian image. System meant to fit on a 4GB card. This is the stage that installs most things that make Raspbian friendly to new users like system documentation.

Stage 5 - The Raspbian Full image. More development tools, an email client, learning tools like Scratch, specialized packages like sonic-pi, office productivity, etc.
Hope that helps if anyone else lands on this page when searching!

Return to “Raspberry Pi OS”