engg_suraj

RUN pin & Reboot query

Mon Mar 14, 2016 11:53 am

Hello,

I m currently working on raspberry pi 2 b+ model. I have some queries.

1. What is the use of RUN pin available in board.
2. Can we reboot Rasp-pi by shorting physical pin 5(SCL0) and 6(GND)

Thanks for reply :)

klricks

Re: RUN pin & Reboot query

Mon Mar 14, 2016 12:47 pm

When the RUN pins are shorted a hard reset is done. It is intended to restart the RPi from a 'halt' state. Do not use on a running RPi unless the RPi has crashed or is unresponsive.
The pin 5 & 6 also resets but I haven't tried that.
Unless specified otherwise my response is based on the latest and fully updated RPiOS Buster w/ Desktop OS.

rpdom

Mon Mar 14, 2016 4:51 pm

Shorting pins 5 and 6 will only initiate a start up from a "powered down" state. (Which is actually paused at the start of the start up sequence). Shorting those pins at any other time will do nothing unless something is monitoring them. Not that if you leave them shorted for more than an instant it may cause a boot to a recovery mode system.

When the RUN header is shorted the SoC is stopped with a hard-reset. It will stay in that state until the short is removed. Then it will perform a boot from cold.

engg_suraj

Tue Mar 15, 2016 5:16 am

klricks wrote:When the RUN pins are shorted a hard reset is done. It is intended to restart the RPi from a 'halt' state. Do not use on a running RPi unless the RPi has crashed or is unresponsive.
The pin 5 & 6 also resets but I haven't tried that.
Thanks for the information :)

engg_suraj

Tue Mar 15, 2016 5:17 am

rpdom wrote:Shorting pins 5 and 6 will only initiate a start up from a "powered down" state. (Which is actually paused at the start of the start up sequence). Shorting those pins at any other time will do nothing unless something is monitoring them. Not that if you leave them shorted for more than an instant it may cause a boot to a recovery mode system.

When the RUN header is shorted the SoC is stopped with a hard-reset. It will stay in that state until the short is removed. Then it will perform a boot from cold.
Okay know I got it. Thank you very much

Return to “General discussion”