QBall1977

RPi3 and rpi-update - A warning.

Thu Mar 03, 2016 10:18 pm

Dear All,

Just my thoughts, I've been using all Pi's for a while. But mostly a Pi B2 as mini setup for my daughter that I've now come to reply upon as I found it ran Citrix better than the laptop my employer supplied for me!

However just upgraded to a Pi3. Was going through the basic setup and install (made a backup of my card, but putting it straight in the Pi3 it seemed a little buggy unstable), best do a clean install.

Was running fine until I installed and ran 'rpi-update' command. This resulted in a broken install, the Pi starts to boot, scrolls through the usual (that should take less than 30 seconds, which is impressive!) but now hangs once initialising usb devices, I thought it may have been my USB speaker, but removed it, rebooted, the same thing. Hangs on 0z: (1 GPs behind) then Task dump for CPU2). I would recommend not using rpi-update (at least not for a while!)

Just a heads up.

Kind regards

Mark.

Pi2 / Pi3 - Raspbian Fresh Install March 16. :geek:

GTR2Fan

Re: RPi3 and rpi-update - A warning.

Thu Mar 03, 2016 10:21 pm

The use of rpi-update has always been discouraged unless you want to try new experimental features with the accompanying risks that entails. It's not a part of the standard update process and never has been.
Pi2B Mini-PC/Media Centre: ARM=1GHz (+3), Core=500MHz, v3d=500MHz, h264=333MHz, RAM=DDR2-1200 (+6/+4/+4+schmoo). Sandisk Ultra HC-I 32GB microSD card on '50=100' OCed slot (42MB/s read) running Raspbian/KODI16, Seagate 3.5" 1.5TB HDD mass storage.

jellowiggler

Fri Mar 04, 2016 6:02 am

I need a way to fix this.

My new Pi3 now won't boot. It just keeps cycling in the same manner.

How do I fix it? :oops:

jellowiggler

Fri Mar 04, 2016 8:06 am

Just for the newbs like me.

Format the SD card.
Download NOOBs.
Start over.

Easy as that. Super awesome! Back in action!

Don't run rip-update unless you want the very very bleeding edge.
So probably not on brand new hardware that's only been around for a few days. :-)

QBall1977

Fri Mar 04, 2016 9:36 am

The good thing is, a reflash of a clean install a swift boot and off I went again. Took less than an hour to reinstall the majority of apps and files. One single massive apt-get command, 800MB later, it just works!

Still easier than installing a copy of windows. Although installing Citrix again proved a faff. But Chromium for the win! Again solid advice from this forum as always! :D

DougieLawson

Sat Mar 05, 2016 8:57 am

jellowiggler wrote:I need a way to fix this.

My new Pi3 now won't boot. It just keeps cycling in the same manner.

How do I fix it? :oops:
If you can boot to a command line with network connectivity then sudo apt-get install --reinstall raspberrypi-bootloader will undo the damage done by unadvised use of rpi-update.
Note:Having anything remotely humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

rurwin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sat Mar 05, 2016 9:02 am

If you've got a spare SD card you could write a new image to that and then copy the contents of the boot partition of the new card to the old card.

Neutrosider

Thu Mar 17, 2016 11:59 am

I had serious network-problems on my PI3 before (it just stopped working at some point). Then i used rpi-update to update firmwares, and now everything works just fine

Return to “Troubleshooting”