QBall1977

RPi3 and rpi-update - A warning.

Thu Mar 03, 2016 10:18 pm

Dear All,

Just my thoughts, I've been using all Pi's for a while. But mostly a Pi B2 as mini setup for my daughter that I've now come to reply upon as I found it ran Citrix better than the laptop my employer supplied for me!

However just upgraded to a Pi3. Was going through the basic setup and install (made a backup of my card, but putting it straight in the Pi3 it seemed a little buggy unstable), best do a clean install.

Was running fine until I installed and ran 'rpi-update' command. This resulted in a broken install, the Pi starts to boot, scrolls through the usual (that should take less than 30 seconds, which is impressive!) but now hangs once initialising usb devices, I thought it may have been my USB speaker, but removed it, rebooted, the same thing. Hangs on 0z: (1 GPs behind) then Task dump for CPU2). I would recommend not using rpi-update (at least not for a while!)

Just a heads up.

Kind regards

Mark.

Pi2 / Pi3 - Raspbian Fresh Install March 16. :geek:

GTR2Fan

Re: RPi3 and rpi-update - A warning.

Thu Mar 03, 2016 10:21 pm

The use of rpi-update has always been discouraged unless you want to try new experimental features with the accompanying risks that entails. It's not a part of the standard update process and never has been.
Pi2B Mini-PC/Media Centre: ARM=1GHz (+3), Core=500MHz, v3d=500MHz, h264=333MHz, RAM=DDR2-1200 (+6/+4/+4+schmoo). Sandisk Ultra HC-I 32GB microSD card on '50=100' OCed slot (42MB/s read) running Raspbian/KODI16, Seagate 3.5" 1.5TB HDD mass storage.

jellowiggler

Fri Mar 04, 2016 6:02 am

I need a way to fix this.

My new Pi3 now won't boot. It just keeps cycling in the same manner.

How do I fix it? :oops:

jellowiggler

Fri Mar 04, 2016 8:06 am

Just for the newbs like me.

Format the SD card.
Download NOOBs.
Start over.

Easy as that. Super awesome! Back in action!

Don't run rip-update unless you want the very very bleeding edge.
So probably not on brand new hardware that's only been around for a few days. :-)

QBall1977

Fri Mar 04, 2016 9:36 am

The good thing is, a reflash of a clean install a swift boot and off I went again. Took less than an hour to reinstall the majority of apps and files. One single massive apt-get command, 800MB later, it just works!

Still easier than installing a copy of windows. Although installing Citrix again proved a faff. But Chromium for the win! Again solid advice from this forum as always! :D

DougieLawson

Sat Mar 05, 2016 8:57 am

jellowiggler wrote:I need a way to fix this.

My new Pi3 now won't boot. It just keeps cycling in the same manner.

How do I fix it? :oops:
If you can boot to a command line with network connectivity then sudo apt-get install --reinstall raspberrypi-bootloader will undo the damage done by unadvised use of rpi-update.
Microprocessor, Raspberry Pi & Arduino Hacker
Mainframe database troubleshooter
MQTT Evangelist
Twitter: @DougieLawson

2012-18: 1B*5, 2B*2, B+, A+, Z, ZW, 3Bs*3, 3B+

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

rurwin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sat Mar 05, 2016 9:02 am

If you've got a spare SD card you could write a new image to that and then copy the contents of the boot partition of the new card to the old card.

Neutrosider

Thu Mar 17, 2016 11:59 am

I had serious network-problems on my PI3 before (it just stopped working at some point). Then i used rpi-update to update firmwares, and now everything works just fine

Return to “Troubleshooting”