Tyrael_Archangel

Re: The Raspberry Pi 3 Model B Q&A thread

Fri Mar 04, 2016 2:26 am

I have 2 questions about the pi 3 currently.

1. does the boot/config.txt support a [pi3] for pi 3 specific configs like it does for the original pi and pi 2?

2. is there a way to control the pi 3 ACT LED from a GPIO like we could with the pi 2?

Alex_TNT

Fri Mar 04, 2016 8:28 am

Same question, maybe someone can enlighten us.
jahboater wrote:
asandford wrote:Not a showstopper, but poweroff command leaves the green LED on.
I think there is something wrong with the on-board leds.
In "/sys/class/leds", there is only led0, there should be led1 as well which was the red power led.
How do you turn off the red led?

gregeric

Fri Mar 04, 2016 8:38 am

The LEDs (and others) seem now to hang off a GPIO expander - the WiFi/BT combo chip gobbled up so many there weren't enough left. No idea about the details yet.

naughty_ottsel

Fri Mar 04, 2016 8:54 am

gregeric wrote:The LEDs (and others) seem now to hang off a GPIO expander - the WiFi/BT combo chip gobbled up so many there weren't enough left. No idea about the details yet.
From what I have seen, I am led to believe that the LED's are now controlled through a Mailbox, the additional class for the virtual GPIO seems to be using one of the Mailboxes, but I cannot confirm yet.

uit

hardinfo benchmarks for RPi3 anyone?

Fri Mar 04, 2016 9:35 am

Hi,
can anyone provide the hardinfo benchmarks for RPi 3 (Blowfish - CryptoHash - Fibonacci - N-Queens - FFT - Raytracing)?

Thanks!

bonterra

Fri Mar 04, 2016 9:38 am

jamesh wrote:
Djinny wrote:Will the pi3 be remaining at the $35 price tag (not including inflation from resellers)
Or will it be shooting up in price after the "sale" is over?
$35 is the price. This is not a sale, this is simply selling. Why do you think it's a sale?
Everywhere but in Sweden that is. The MSRP is 499 SEK or the equivalent of $58.50. Taking the British MSRP and adjusting it for Swedish VAT we'd end up at 390 SEK so that's a good $12 or so difference :(

(The RPi2 is still available at some retailers for the same 399 SEK as when it was introduced)

richardski

Fri Mar 04, 2016 9:50 am

Anyone else having reboot issues after getting the latest firmware update via sudo rpi-update?
I ave tried latest version of firmware with a clean install on 2 Pi3s and both are failing to reboot after the update appearing to indicate SD card removed.

Richard

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Fri Mar 04, 2016 9:54 am

richardski wrote:Anyone else having reboot issues after getting the latest firmware update via sudo rpi-update?
I ave tried latest version of firmware with a clean install on 2 Pi3s and both are failing to reboot after the update appearing to indicate SD card removed.

Richard
Yes, don't do rpi-update unless you have a very specific reason to do so (it's been deprecated for some time as a way of updating firmware). Just use

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

Fidelius

Fri Mar 04, 2016 10:04 am

Richardski wrote:Anyone else having reboot issues after getting the latest firmware update via sudo rpi-update?
Yes, same here, when I did a "rpi-update" this morning on my Ubuntu SD-card for the Pi3.
The Pi3 loader from the /boot partition doesn't load Linux from SD-card then but reports your mentioned errors.
JamesH wrote:Yes, don't do rpi-update unless you have a very specific reason to do so (it's been deprecated for some time as a way of updating firmware).
Indeed, with Raspbian I always do so, but I tried to update my Ubuntu (Mate) SD-card for the Pi where we don't get the new Raspbian kernels and firmware with "apt-get dist-upgrade" but with a "rpi-update" only. This method worked well until today.

oryxhasapi

Fri Mar 04, 2016 10:30 am

Will berryboot work?

fruitoftheloom

Fri Mar 04, 2016 10:35 am

Removed :!:
Last edited by fruitoftheloom on Fri Mar 04, 2016 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
adieu

My other Computer is an Asus CS10 ChromeBit running Chrome Operating System.
HP Envy 4500 Wireless Printer supported by HPLIP software in Raspbian Buster.
Raspberry Pi Model 2B v1.1

Fidelius

Re: hardinfo benchmarks for RPi3 anyone?

Fri Mar 04, 2016 10:45 am

uit wrote:can anyone provide the hardinfo benchmarks for RPi 3 (Blowfish - CryptoHash - Fibonacci - N-Queens - FFT - Raytracing)?
Here they are:

Code: Select all

-CPU Blowfish-
This Machine        Unknown MHz           42.120        
Intel(R) Celeron(R) M processor 1.50GHz   26.1876862        
PowerPC 740/750 (280.00MHz)               172.816713           

-CPU CryptoHash-                          
This Machine        Unknown MHz           24.884        

-CPU Fibonacci-                           
This Machine        Unknown MHz           13.406        
Intel(R) Celeron(R) M processor 1.50GHz   8.1375674        
PowerPC 740/750 (280.00MHz)               58.07682        

-CPU N-Queens-                            
This Machine        Unknown MHz           37.247        

-FPU FFT-                                 
This Machine        Unknown MHz           46.627        

-FPU Raytracing-                          
This Machine        Unknown MHz           42.417        
Intel(R) Celeron(R) M processor 1.50GHz   40.8816714        
PowerPC 740/750 (280.00MHz)               161.312647        

dom

Fri Mar 04, 2016 12:20 pm

richardski wrote:Anyone else having reboot issues after getting the latest firmware update via sudo rpi-update?
Can you try updating again? I've pushed a possible fix.

fourdee4d

Fri Mar 04, 2016 1:30 pm

anat wrote:Please advise the step to make the wifi work in the AP mode. Thanks.
PhillyFromNL wrote:
fourdee4d wrote:bcm43438 18.7x the strength of a FM radio transmitter (80 dBm)? :lol:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DBm

[email protected]:~# iwconfig
wlan0     IEEE 802.11bgn  ESSID:off/any
          Mode:Managed  Access Point: Not-Associated   Tx-Power=1496 dBm
          Retry short limit:7   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:off
          Encryption key:off
          Power Management:off
Does bcm43438 currently support hard/soft AP?
I seem to have it working in AP mode now. I had a working AP mode setup on wlan0 and when i updated my raspian i got a wlan1, then i removed my WIFI dongle and rebooted and it started working with the internal WIFI.
I do have some problems with some of my WIFI devices that had to reconnect and stuff. But it seems to work.

wlan0     IEEE 802.11bgn  Mode:Master  Tx-Power=1496 dBm   
          Retry short limit:7   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:off
          Power Management:on
Finally got this working.
Disable any driver entries: /etc/hostapd/hostapd.conf

interface=wlan0
#driver=rtl871xdrv
ssid=DietPi-HotSpot
hw_mode=g
channel=3
macaddr_acl=0
auth_algs=1
ignore_broadcast_ssid=0
wpa=2
wpa_passphrase=dietpihotspot
wpa_key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
wpa_pairwise=TKIP
rsn_pairwise=CCMP
edit:
And make sure your using hostapd from Raspbian repo (not other hostapd binaries that are floating around):

apt-get remove hostapd -y
apt-get install hostapd -y
Last edited by fourdee4d on Fri Mar 04, 2016 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DietPi.com - Lightweight justice for your Raspberry Pi. Optimized, simplified linux for everyone
DietPi's web hosting is powered by MyVirtualServer.com

jahboater

Fri Mar 04, 2016 1:34 pm

naughty_ottsel wrote:
gregeric wrote:The LEDs (and others) seem now to hang off a GPIO expander - the WiFi/BT combo chip gobbled up so many there weren't enough left. No idea about the details yet.
From what I have seen, I am led to believe that the LED's are now controlled through a Mailbox, the additional class for the virtual GPIO seems to be using one of the Mailboxes, but I cannot confirm yet.
Note the green ACT led is there in /sys/class/leds/led0 and setting the trigger works.

Massi

Fri Mar 04, 2016 2:32 pm

since i'm a little bit scared of power consumption test you can see out there (i.e. https://hackadaycom.files.wordpress.com ... ercon1.png ) i'd like to know if someone tested power consumption between a pi3 and a pi2 with wifi and bt dongles..

Edit to add:
this seems to see things in a different way
http://raspi.tv/wp-content/uploads/2016 ... 68x412.png

MikeDunn

Fri Mar 04, 2016 2:41 pm

What are you scared of ?

As a comparison, are you scared of boiling a kettle ? That takes over 10 times the ampage of the RasPi in your linked image ...

Massi

Fri Mar 04, 2016 2:46 pm

MikeDunn wrote:What are you scared of ?

As a comparison, are you scared of boiling a kettle ? That takes over 10 times the ampage of the RasPi in your linked image ...
it's only a matter on consumption.. my principal PI is managing my domotic system, i don't need a lot of power, so i was "scared" to double the consumption to have power i'm not going to use..
that's all :)

(i know it's a matter of a couple of £/year)
(i've already ordered my brand new pi3)
but i'm still curious of a consumption test BOTH with bt and wifi :)

RaTTuS

Fri Mar 04, 2016 2:48 pm

Massi wrote:
MikeDunn wrote:What are you scared of ?

it's only a matter on consumption.. my principal PI is managing my domotic system, i don't need a lot of power, so i was "scared" to double the consumption to have power i'm not going to use..
that's all :)

(i know it's a matter of a couple of £/year)
(i've already ordered my brand new pi3)
but i'm still curious of a consumption test BOTH with bt and wifi :)
leave the exsiting one doing that job - does it need more power or can you even replace it with a model A ?
use new one fore new things
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

Wortelsoft

Fri Mar 04, 2016 2:49 pm

Is there any info availlable on the USB boot?

Massi

Fri Mar 04, 2016 2:52 pm

RaTTuS wrote:leave the exsiting one doing that job - does it need more power or can you even replace it with a model A ?
use new one fore new things
i'd like a Zero if i have to be honest :)
i was hoping for the pi3 to leave some Zeros to market, but it seems not the case :(

naughty_ottsel

Fri Mar 04, 2016 2:55 pm

jahboater wrote:
naughty_ottsel wrote:
Note the green ACT led is there in /sys/class/leds/led0 and setting the trigger works.
The device tree is set up for the RPi 3B to look at a "Virtual GPIO", looking at the driver that has been created for the Virtual GPIO, I am under the assumption that this is pointing to an address relevant to the VPU (based on commit comments) which seems likely considering the boot process for the RPi's has always been the VPU turning on first and booting up the ARM core.

Based on the commits, the ACT_LED is Pin 0 on the new Virtual GPIO. The firmware header holds a value of 0x00040010 for the Virtual GPIO.

mikronauts

Fri Mar 04, 2016 5:33 pm

Thanks.

Hmm... I wonder what is preventing the BT module from working with the mini uart?
PeterO wrote:
mikronauts wrote:I am hoping it is tied to the CPU base clock, not PLL multiplied frequency.
It would not be acceptable to have the serial baud rate fluctuate with changes from the performance governor, so I doubt that is the case, as it would bust all serial communications with the Pi3.
This may be of interest: Overlay to remap Pi 3 UART
viewtopic.php?f=107&t=138223

PeterO
http://Mikronauts.com - home of EZasPi, RoboPi, Pi Rtc Dio and Pi Jumper @Mikronauts on Twitter
Advanced Robotics, I/O expansion and prototyping boards for the Raspberry Pi

hippy

Fri Mar 04, 2016 6:56 pm

mikronauts wrote:Hmm... I wonder what is preventing the BT module from working with the mini uart?
Could it not simply be that the problems which could afflict the now exposed user UART would afflict BT comms, and present an even greater problem there ?

mob-i-l

Fri Mar 04, 2016 8:48 pm

bonterra wrote:
jamesh wrote:
Djinny wrote:Will the pi3 be remaining at the $35 price tag (not including inflation from resellers)
Or will it be shooting up in price after the "sale" is over?
$35 is the price. This is not a sale, this is simply selling. Why do you think it's a sale?
Everywhere but in Sweden that is. The MSRP is 499 SEK or the equivalent of $58.50. Taking the British MSRP and adjusting it for Swedish VAT we'd end up at 390 SEK so that's a good $12 or so difference :(

(The RPi2 is still available at some retailers for the same 399 SEK as when it was introduced)
One solution is to order from e.g. Pimoroni and with the exchange rate that VISA had it's 440 SEK including shipping (£4). I used £1= 12.2471 SEK, because VISA adds 1.65% to the exchange rate. Last time I ordered it took a week to Sweden. If you order more things you save even more because the shipping is fixed.
Raspberry Pi0&1A&1B2&1B+&2B&3B w/ Raspbian. Started w/ BASIC on ABC80&ZX81 then Forth, Z80… https://scratch.mit.edu/users/mobluse/ https://github.com/mobluse/ https://twitter.com/mobluse/ https://YouTube.com/MOBiL4u/

Return to “General discussion”