AndyBails88

Multi coloured rainbow screen problem

Sat Feb 20, 2016 11:48 am

Hi i brought a Raspberry PI 2 Starter Kit the other day bit of a noob when at this i seem to be stuck on a rainbow colour screen (Multi Coloured Screen) no matter what i do or what image i use it just appears the most i've had is that when i try to install Raspbain i get 4 Raspberry's at the top and a loud of code starts then it stops goes back to the rainbow screen and repeats, What im trying to do is put Openlec Or OSMC and even NOOB's. This is the second board i have had as i thought the first one was faulty but no the same thing is happening again ive done what it says on the Raspberry PI website to the word and all i'm still left with is this multi coloured screen i'm having no luck at all. The board lights light up red the flash green a few times then repeats itself, I've uploaded images of the problems i'm stuck with to try and show what i'm up against. I'm at my wit's end with this so any help will be much appreciated thanks.
Attachments
pi2 lights.jpg
these are the lights i'm seeing
pi2 lights.jpg (41.59 KiB) Viewed 7233 times
screen pi2.jpg
this is the screen i'm seeing
screen pi2.jpg (60.58 KiB) Viewed 7233 times

FTrevorGowen
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: Multi coloured rainbow screen problem

Sat Feb 20, 2016 12:04 pm

AndyBails88 wrote:Hi i brought a Raspberry PI 2 Starter Kit the other day bit of a noob when at this i seem to be stuck on a rainbow colour screen (Multi Coloured Screen) no matter what i do or what image i use it just appears the most i've had is that when i try to install Raspbain i get 4 Raspberry's at the top and a loud of code starts then it stops goes back to the rainbow screen and repeats, What im trying to do is put Openlec Or OSMC and even NOOB's. This is the second board i have had as i thought the first one was faulty but no the same thing is happening again ive done what it says on the Raspberry PI website to the word and all i'm still left with is this multi coloured screen i'm having no luck at all. The board lights light up red the flash green a few times then repeats itself, I've uploaded images of the problems i'm stuck with to try and show what i'm up against. I'm at my wit's end with this so any help will be much appreciated thanks.
Almost certainly a power supply and/or uUSB connecting cable issue (especially if the red PoWeR led flickers) - however please read through the boot problem sticky** for more detailed diagnostic help. You have succeeded in booting at least once (4 Raspberries etc.) but something triggered a system reset. Re-try with a fresh, up-to-date download of Raspbian Jessie (either via the NOOBS installer or direct image, whichever is easier for you)
Trev.
** viewtopic.php?f=28&t=58151
Still running Raspbian Jessie or Stretch on some older Pi's (an A, B1, 2xB2, B+, P2B, 3xP0, P0W, 2xP3A+, P3B, B+, and a A+) but Buster on the P3B+, P4B's & P400. See: https://www.cpmspectrepi.uk/raspberry_pi/raspiidx.htm

AndyBails88

Sat Feb 20, 2016 2:13 pm

I did a full sd card format then used Win32DiskManager witch successfully put Rasbain on then put sd into board but still shows 4 raspberry then goes to rainbow screen and then repeats the red light still flashing and the green light still flashing , i've used everything out of the starter kit hdmi, power lead, mains plug and Ethernet and still no luck

FTrevorGowen
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sat Feb 20, 2016 2:42 pm

AndyBails88 wrote:I did a full sd card format then used Win32DiskManager witch successfully put Rasbain on then put sd into board but still shows 4 raspberry then goes to rainbow screen and then repeats the red light still flashing and the green light still flashing , i've used everything out of the starter kit hdmi, power lead, mains plug and Ethernet and still no luck
The red PoWeR led should not flash (that's [one of] the low voltage warnings). Did the PSU come with a permanently attached uUSB cable? If not, can you try a different cable? What starter kit is it & where from?
Trev.
Still running Raspbian Jessie or Stretch on some older Pi's (an A, B1, 2xB2, B+, P2B, 3xP0, P0W, 2xP3A+, P3B, B+, and a A+) but Buster on the P3B+, P4B's & P400. See: https://www.cpmspectrepi.uk/raspberry_pi/raspiidx.htm

AndyBails88

Sat Feb 20, 2016 5:18 pm

This is the starter kit i brought i brought it from Currys/PcWorld -
http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing- ... 2-pdt.html

I'm using what was in box witch i assumed should be all good hence why i brought the starter kit.

GTR2Fan

Sat Feb 20, 2016 5:23 pm

This is at least the second time I've seen a report on this forum of an inadequate power supply in the Currys Pi2 starter kit.
Pi2B Mini-PC/Media Centre: ARM=1GHz (+3), Core=500MHz, v3d=500MHz, h264=333MHz, RAM=DDR2-1200 (+6/+4/+4+schmoo). Sandisk Ultra HC-I 32GB microSD card on '50=100' OCed slot (42MB/s read) running Raspbian/KODI16, Seagate 3.5" 1.5TB HDD mass storage.

drgeoff

Sat Feb 20, 2016 5:49 pm

GTR2Fan wrote:This is at least the second time I've seen a report on this forum of an inadequate power supply in the Currys Pi2 starter kit.

Third I've seen.

viewtopic.php?p=877182#p877182

viewtopic.php?p=891478#p891478
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

AndyBails88

Sat Feb 20, 2016 6:36 pm

After seeing the posts about Currys power supply i went looking for another cable and managed to find another one to try, and found my PS4 controller cable and it worked straight away up and running now. Thanks guys i would of ended taking it back again, Thanks again you've saved me lot of time and hair pulling :)

GTR2Fan

Sat Feb 20, 2016 7:08 pm

Glad you're sorted. :)
Pi2B Mini-PC/Media Centre: ARM=1GHz (+3), Core=500MHz, v3d=500MHz, h264=333MHz, RAM=DDR2-1200 (+6/+4/+4+schmoo). Sandisk Ultra HC-I 32GB microSD card on '50=100' OCed slot (42MB/s read) running Raspbian/KODI16, Seagate 3.5" 1.5TB HDD mass storage.

Return to “Beginners”