Supernino

Camera Module far from Raspberry

Mon Feb 15, 2016 4:11 pm

Hi to everybody,
this is my first post and I'm really glad to join to this great community :lol: . Going into details, here my problem:
I need to use the camera in a very small area :? , for this reason the raspberry should be very far from the camera, more or less 10 meters. How is it possible use it? :?: :?: Is there a sort of serializer-deserializer device suitable for the CSI-2 protocol of the raspberry camera, in order to use a coaxial cable? Alternatively, is it possible to use the camera module with the pi-zero? Any other solutions? :mrgreen:
Best regards

Nino

JohnCollis

Re: Camera Module far from Raspberry

Thu Feb 18, 2016 2:00 pm

There is an adaptor available that enables the use of an HDMI cable between the camera and the Raspberry. https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/camera ... extension/
http://petitstudio.blogspot.co.uk/2015/ ... cable.html
I have successfully used this with an HDMI cable that is approximately 5 metres in length.

6by9
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Thu Feb 18, 2016 2:14 pm

The adapters to use HDMI cables are your best bet, but do choose a decent quality HDMI lead.

CSI2 from the Pi Camera uses 3 differential pairs, 2 for data, and one for clock. Those are running at up to 1Gbit/s.
(a) low voltage differential signalling (LVDS) is used for EMC reasons. Coax is not normally differential (twinax exists but is uncommon).
(b) the bandwidth required by each pair pretty much precludes modulating them onto a carrier or otherwise packing the 3 signals onto a single cable.
There are also a couple of lines for I2C comms, GPIO control, and power.

No, the Pi Zero does not have the camera connections brought out from the SoC to keep the PCB complexity down and hence reduce price.
Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi Trading. Views expressed are still personal views.
I'm not interested in doing contracts for bespoke functionality - please don't ask.

Supernino

Thu Feb 18, 2016 2:22 pm

That's perfect!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Thank you so much ;)

jbeale

Thu Feb 18, 2016 11:43 pm

I think 10 meters is asking a lot for the CSI-2 bus which AFAIK was designed just for a distance of a few cm, inside a mobile phone. If it works, do be sure to make a post about it as that may be a new distance record! There is really no room for the small, credit-card sized Pi mainboard any closer than 10 meters away? If there was, then you could easily deliver the remote video (and power, if need be) the rest of the distance over standard ethernet cable.

mikronauts

Fri Feb 19, 2016 12:36 am

+1

I would also simply put another Pi 10m away, and use Ethernet or even WiFi to transfer the images.

Far less hassle, time and money at the end of the day.
Supernino wrote:Hi to everybody,
this is my first post and I'm really glad to join to this great community :lol: . Going into details, here my problem:
I need to use the camera in a very small area :? , for this reason the raspberry should be very far from the camera, more or less 10 meters. How is it possible use it? :?: :?: Is there a sort of serializer-deserializer device suitable for the CSI-2 protocol of the raspberry camera, in order to use a coaxial cable? Alternatively, is it possible to use the camera module with the pi-zero? Any other solutions? :mrgreen:
Best regards

Nino
http://Mikronauts.com - home of EZasPi, RoboPi, Pi Rtc Dio and Pi Jumper @Mikronauts on Twitter
Advanced Robotics, I/O expansion and prototyping boards for the Raspberry Pi

Supernino

Fri Feb 19, 2016 8:48 am

Hi, the problem is that the available space is not enough to insert a normal raspberry, for this reason I asked about the pi zero

jbeale

Fri Feb 19, 2016 4:53 pm

Sounds like you are inspecting the inside of a pipe less than 7 cm in diameter, that is 10m long?

I'm sure it would be low quality at 640x480 resolution, but here's a 10m long borescope with USB connector for $16. The reviews say it is only somewhat waterproof, but has worked for people inspecting pipes for leaks.
http://www.amazon.com/Generic%C2%AE-Wat ... B00V8A6CSU
Last edited by jbeale on Fri Feb 19, 2016 5:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.

mikronauts

Fri Feb 19, 2016 4:55 pm

See if an A+ will fit, or add a small Pi enclosure.

10m cable for camera is an incredibly bad idea.
Supernino wrote:Hi, the problem is that the available space is not enough to insert a normal raspberry, for this reason I asked about the pi zero
http://Mikronauts.com - home of EZasPi, RoboPi, Pi Rtc Dio and Pi Jumper @Mikronauts on Twitter
Advanced Robotics, I/O expansion and prototyping boards for the Raspberry Pi

Return to “Camera board”