greece57

Network error: Software caused connection abort

Sat Jan 23, 2016 5:31 pm

Hi guys,

I'm trying to get my new Raspberry Pi Model A+ running but I'm failing.
The problem is that I don't have a TV or any other HDMI device and also no keyboard. Only my laptop (with windows on it), my raspberry pi and a wifi stick.

What I did now, is installing QEMU (Emulator) on my computer and I started the image once in the Emulator and changed the

Code: Select all

/etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf
and added my wifi network.
Then I shut down the Emulator and wrote the "new" image on my sd card, which i inserted into the pi.

Starting the pi now works perfectly fine but when I'm trying to connect to it (with Putty) it allows me to insert the username and maybe sometimes also the password but most time after entering "pi" and pressing enter I wait for some seconds and then the message appears:
"Network error: Software caused connection abort"

What I tried till now (after I managed to log into the pi once) is to run these commands:

sudo rm /etc/ssh/ssh_host_*

sudo dpkg-reconfigure openssh-server
Idea from here: (viewtopic.php?f=27&t=15814). But the situation is still the same :/

What I also tried was to first run the "clean" image once on the pi and then copy it on my computer and then change the wifi settings in the emulator and write it back to the pi but I got the same error :/

Any ideas what I can do? :(

B.Goode

Re: Network error: Software caused connection abort

Sun Jan 24, 2016 10:16 am

Might this be a symptom of a power supply problem? (Including consideration of a long or thin lead connecting to the microsub port on the RPi.)

WiFi dongles are often said to be 'power hungry' - maybe all appears to be well until you start making demands on the network to transfer lots of data?

Is the dongle driven directly from the RPi? Maybe a powered usb hub would help?

greece57

Re: Network error: Software caused connection abort

Sun Jan 24, 2016 11:46 am

Hi Goodge,

I thought about the same but didn't buy it because I never had the problem with a pi Model B
I power the Model A with 5.3V and 2.0A. Does it really give so little power to the USB port? :/

Return to “Troubleshooting”