poloenfield

No sound on Ubuntu Mate

Fri Jan 22, 2016 4:30 pm

Hi all ,
my first time using the forum . I have a Pi 2 B and have installed Ubuntu Mate , I'm impressed . I'm using a old TV via HDMI good picture , but no sound also no sound through the 3.5mm jack .
My knowledge of using command lines is near zero I know the fix means using command . So would someone be so kind as give me a step by step account of what I need to do .
regards , Poloenfield.

gychang

Re: No sound on Ubuntu Mate

Fri Jan 22, 2016 9:30 pm

I have the same problem, my HDMI cable can carry audio but no sound.... hopefully someone will chime in....

DougieLawson

Sat Jan 23, 2016 10:12 am

Get the tvservice command installed and take a look at what modes your HDMI device can run and whether it's CEA or DMT.

git clone https://github.com/raspberrypi/userland
cd userland
./buildme

gets you all of the video core code including tvservice. That should work OK on Ubuntu Mate.

You run that with tvservice -m CEA; tvservice -m DMT to see what modes your TV/monitor can do.

DMT can't do audio unless you force it with

Code: Select all

hdmi_force_edid_audio=1
in config.txt.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

Mabirc

Sat Jan 23, 2016 1:30 pm

I also have my Raspberry with Ubuntu Mate and no sound. Beside of that and my Wifi Repeater anything works fine.
I am also new here but i am not sure what you mean with your reply, Dougie. Do i have to download something and install it so i can use a special command in the terminal ? I am also very new to this so any help is welcome but i need to undertsand what to do ;)

Return to “General discussion”