robwriter

OpenTTD (Transport Tycoon)

Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:17 pm

Transport Tycoon is one of my favorite games of all time and I'm amazed how good OpenTTD is. It almost works smoothly enough on the Pi (I'm assuming its not accelerated), so just wondering if anyone has any tips to get it working faster?

jwh1981

Re: OpenTTD (Transport Tycoon)

Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:28 pm

Hello,

I was able to compile and get it working lastnight. However, are you running it from within X or directly from the console? I haven't had time yet to start a game, but I can confirm it does run from the console using the framebuffer. If you are running it from within X, you will probably see a boost in speed by running it from the console.

Thank you.

RaTTuS

Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:31 pm

I'll just say hello to my Dutch brain friends now.
[they'll know what it means]
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

jwh1981

Fri Aug 10, 2012 4:29 pm

On my lunch break, I went home and tried it out. It runs great using just the framebuffer.

robwriter

Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:55 pm

When you say it runs great, what resolution are you using?

My experience is that it's fine windowed in X, or fine at low resolution from the console, but that as you start to increase the resolution it starts to slow down, and things like scrolling start to mess up.

fraz0815

Sat Aug 11, 2012 2:05 pm

Can't tell much about about performance, 800x600 seems fine from console, using higher values everything gets to small for me.

Did someone manage to get the music working? (http://wiki.openttd.org/Compiling_on_Li ... soundtrack)
I copied over gm/ to openttd/bin, installed timidity + freepats, timidity gets started during boot (aplaymidi -p128:0 somefile.mid works), cp'ed freepats.cfg to timidity.cfg in /etc/timidity.

The game finds the music files, but only shuffles instantly through them, not playing them at all, also when started with ./openttd -m extmidi.

fraz0815

Sat Aug 11, 2012 5:11 pm

Little update:
playing midi files via timidity now works without stuttering etc, just uncommented the recommended settings for slow cpu's in /etc/timidity/timidity.cfg.

But it seems the pi only handles one sound source at one time.
Starting openttd without sound:
./openttd -s null -> music works, sound obviously not

I read somewhere that maybe some ALSA compatibility mode could help, I keep trying, I love this game and music, would hate to make a trade-off between sound and music :)

Return to “Media centres”