MacPro86

Rasperry Pi as a bluetooth print server

Mon Jan 11, 2016 1:03 pm

Perhaps this has been addressed before, but I can't find anything online...

(The Back Story)

We are starting to use iPads in our service related business when meeting with clients/individuals to present our information and typically there is a bit of paper work / a word doc or two that would be nice to print. We travel to several satellite facilities we have in a more rural area, and it isn't feasible for us to pay for internet service there, especially when we can pay $10/device and have portable 4G on our new iPad Air 2's.

I am aware of the numerous printers out there that create an "ad-hoc" network to connect to, but when connected, it doesn't allow you to use 4G data. If it were just me using it, I would say problem solved, but since we have a few who aren't as savvy, I want to make this as easy as possible, ideally utilizing a bluetooth printer.

I have been looking for an "All-in-one", mainly print and copy black laser printer, but cannot find anything that fits the laser spec, (don't want inkjet, as they tend to dry out). I know there are some NFC (Near Field Communication) printers out there, but it doesn't appear iOS devices support this beyond Apple Pay at this time...

Rasperry Pi Question

The Pi has been intriguing to me, as it seems like you can do most anything judging from the projects out there. So, is it possible to set up a Pi as a Bluetooth print server, thus connecting an iPad to the bluetooth of the Pi to use the printer? I am not very familiar with coding, though I have had a few linux boxes over the years and obviously there is a lot of good support online...

Thoughts?

MacPro86

Re: Rasperry Pi as a bluetooth print server

Mon Jan 11, 2016 2:10 pm

On a side note, I did discover that the ad-hoc network created by the HP printers at least will not interfere with 4G data, but would still be cool to know if this is possible with Raspberry Pi...

topguy

Mon Jan 11, 2016 3:32 pm

Why make it an ad-hoc network at all ? You could configure the RPI as a proper access point.

But I don't know the ins&outs of an iPad so I don't know if that would have other consequences.

http://www.linux-magazine.com/Issues/20 ... t-in-Linux

Pilsener

Mon May 14, 2018 6:57 pm

Did anyone ever make this project work?

I tried it myself recently, but I'm kinda stuck
My Android-phone was able to connect/pair to the Pi via BT, but I got an error msg saying "no available services".
My iPhone couldn't connect at all.
I am using Pi 2 with an old BT dongle, so that may cause some problems.

Douglas6

Tue May 15, 2018 12:03 pm

There is no Bluetooth printer service, so that's out. If you are trying to connect for other reasons, please post a new thread with as much detail as possible.

Return to “Networking and servers”