jasonwzs

default width and height of image generated by raspistill

Sat Dec 12, 2015 6:46 am

When I run raspistill -o image.jpg for several days ago, I got image files of size 640*480 which is about 200K.
Then I run some python codes which invoke picamera module in the past two days
Today I run apt-get update and then installed uv4l driver according to http://www.linux-projects.org/modules/s ... e&artid=14
Now when I run same raspistill command to capture a image file, the file size is changed to about 2M and the file size becomes 2592*1944.
If I run raspistill command with -w 640 -h 480 parameters, it generates image files of similar size as what I got several days ago.

It looks like the default image size generated by raspstill is changed from 640*480 to 2592*1944.
Questions:
1. What's the cause of the default image file size change?
2. Is there any way I can change the default image file size back to 640*480?

Thanks,
Jason

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Re: default width and height of image generated by raspistil

Sat Dec 12, 2015 9:22 am

The default size is the larger of the ones you have mentioned - that's the full resolution of the sensor. Not sure why you were getting VGA at first. There is no way of changing the default except by recompiling the code (entirely feasible), so you need -w/-h on the supplied build.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

jasonwzs

Sat Dec 12, 2015 8:01 pm

Thanks for answering my question.
It's odd that when I use raspistill at the beginning it generates image of 640*480. Is it because I was not using some latest version of something?

jamesh

Sun Dec 13, 2015 1:19 pm

jasonwzs wrote:Thanks for answering my question.
It's odd that when I use raspistill at the beginning it generates image of 640*480. Is it because I was not using some latest version of something?
Default has always been the max res of the sensor, so not sure what was happening there. Did you have the display set up for low resolution? I wonder if that may have had an effect.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

jasonwzs

Mon Dec 14, 2015 3:58 am

Actually my Pi is not connected to any display device. I use ssh to connect to it and sometimes use vnc to get the X window.

Return to “Camera board”