macattac

Connect the Pi to a large (24") touch screen via HDMI

Sun Nov 08, 2015 12:58 pm

Hi,

I want to hook the Pi up with a 24" LED touch screen for different purposes. Is this even possible? If so, how do I configure it (running raspbian)?

fruitoftheloom

Re: Connect the Pi to a large (24") touch screen via HDMI

Sun Nov 08, 2015 1:43 pm

macattac wrote:Hi,

I want to hook the Pi up with a 24" LED touch screen for different purposes. Is this even possible? If so, how do I configure it (running raspbian)?
Plug in the HDMi Cable and USB Cable, then switch on the RPi, boot up the Operating System and post back if you get a picture on the Screen and if Touch is working.
adieu

Asus CS10 Chromebit / HP Envy 4500 Wireless Printer / Raspberry Pi Model 2B v1.1 / RealVNC Software...

macattac

Sun Nov 08, 2015 1:45 pm

fruitoftheloom wrote:

Plug in the HDMi Cable and USB Cable, then switch on the RPi, boot up the Operating System and post back if you get a picture on the Screen and if Touch is working.

really? That's it?
From what I've read about other distributions of Linux as well as using the small LCD screens for the RPi, one needs to install different packages to caliberate touch-screen capabilities.

fruitoftheloom

Sun Nov 08, 2015 2:00 pm

macattac wrote:
fruitoftheloom wrote:

really? That's it?
From what I've read about other distributions of Linux as well as using the small LCD screens for the RPi, one needs to install different packages to caliberate touch-screen capabilities.
Some work, some do not, until it is plugged in there is no way to ascertain....
adieu

Asus CS10 Chromebit / HP Envy 4500 Wireless Printer / Raspberry Pi Model 2B v1.1 / RealVNC Software...

macattac

Mon Nov 09, 2015 3:24 pm

[quote="fruitoftheloom"
Some work, some do not, until it is plugged in there is no way to ascertain....[/quote]

Ok...anyone out there with knowledge of any compatible monitors? I don't feel like spending $300-$400 on a monitor that will be useless :)

Thanks in advance.

DougieLawson

Mon Nov 09, 2015 3:37 pm

macattac wrote:
Ok...anyone out there with knowledge of any compatible monitors? I don't feel like spending $300-$400 on a monitor that will be useless :)
Take your RPi (with a HDMI cable (or HDMI/DVI-D cable), power supply, keyboard & mouse) to the store, test it before you buy.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

rpdom

Mon Nov 09, 2015 4:32 pm

The HDMI monitor part of it will almost certainly work. It's the touch aspect that may cause trouble.

macattac

Mon Nov 09, 2015 5:41 pm

rpdom wrote:The HDMI monitor part of it will almost certainly work. It's the touch aspect that may cause trouble.

it does, I'm running it on my projector through my yamaha receiver via HDMI. So that works. It it indeed the touch part I'm uncertain about. I've found some threads that people have managed to get touch screens to work with ubuntu...but haven't found anything regarding Raspbian.

that was my hope, that someone on here had tried or knew enough to say yay or nay. ;) :? :?:

klricks

Mon Nov 09, 2015 6:17 pm

I have Hannspree H231 (23") touch (USB) monitor which works with my RPi (Raspbian Wheezy). The screen is 10pt touch but only seems to act as a limited single point mouse mode on the RPi. The mouse pointer moves to where you touch the screen, then you double tap to open an icon or menu item.... nothing else.
It's been some time since I tried it so there many be some improvements?
Unless specified otherwise my response is based on the latest and fully updated Raspbian Buster w/ Desktop OS.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:29 pm

rabees1 wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:54 pm
any updates
To a four year old post?
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

Return to “Beginners”