vpetersson
Posts: 391
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:23 am
Contact: Website

Re: Screenly OSE -- Digital Signage for the Raspberry Pi

Sat Aug 11, 2018 4:55 pm

I can't see any reason why that wouldn't work. Only caveat is that the website cannot be too heavy.
itgadgets wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 3:17 pm
Hi all,

First post here and new to Raspberry Pi

Can Screenly run just one item? i.e. one video file or web page

Reason i ask is that I am looking at setting up a display with 4 separate images using 4 Raspberry Pi each displaying one video, web page or image. They would be connected to a HDMI Quad Screen Multiviewer so we can have all 4 displaying at once or someone could select which one was required to be viewed at full screen.!

The information displayed needs to be view-able at all times as it is for an emergency service, no interaction is required for the displayed info.

If I am looking at this all wrong or there is a better solution please let me know! My original idea was to run it all from a PC with mutliple connections going to the Multiviewer, this was going to be an issue because the display is going to be in another room to the PC.
Creator of Screenly (Screenly.io), the leading digital signage solution for the Raspberry Pi.
Twitter: @vpetersson | vpetersson.com

jishac
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2018 5:32 pm

Re: Screenly OSE -- Digital Signage for the Raspberry Pi

Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:08 pm

There are no clear instructions on how to enable Screenly to not require an Internet connection. There is reference to an "offline" mode, but the page only mentions that it is possible and not how to properly configure the software.

Furthermore a quick glance at the source seems to indicate that the use of "enable_offline_mode" is no longer checked/used. As an additional note, the Raspberry Pi has a RTC which is configured and working.

Is there a way to get Screenly to bypass the default gateway (Internet) check and function without connectivity?

Thanks!

amolodykh
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:28 am

Re: Screenly OSE -- Digital Signage for the Raspberry Pi

Wed Aug 22, 2018 4:27 pm

itgadgets wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 3:17 pm
Hi all,

First post here and new to Raspberry Pi

Can Screenly run just one item? i.e. one video file or web page

Reason i ask is that I am looking at setting up a display with 4 separate images using 4 Raspberry Pi each displaying one video, web page or image. They would be connected to a HDMI Quad Screen Multiviewer so we can have all 4 displaying at once or someone could select which one was required to be viewed at full screen.!

The information displayed needs to be view-able at all times as it is for an emergency service, no interaction is required for the displayed info.

If I am looking at this all wrong or there is a better solution please let me know! My original idea was to run it all from a PC with mutliple connections going to the Multiviewer, this was going to be an issue because the display is going to be in another room to the PC.
Hi!

I don't know if this is a good solution, I also did not try to use a HDMI Quad Screen Multiviewer, but I think it should work well. You really can install Screenly OSE on your Pi's and display only one asset on each of them (don't forget to set duration field in the web interface, by default an asset becomes inactive after a few days).

amolodykh
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:28 am

Re: Screenly OSE -- Digital Signage for the Raspberry Pi

Wed Aug 22, 2018 4:52 pm

jishac wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:08 pm
There are no clear instructions on how to enable Screenly to not require an Internet connection. There is reference to an "offline" mode, but the page only mentions that it is possible and not how to properly configure the software.

Furthermore a quick glance at the source seems to indicate that the use of "enable_offline_mode" is no longer checked/used. As an additional note, the Raspberry Pi has a RTC which is configured and working.

Is there a way to get Screenly to bypass the default gateway (Internet) check and function without connectivity?

Thanks!
It seems recently we have received a similar question. Please take a look, here is the full answer https://support.screenly.io/hc/en-us/co ... -SSID-WiFi

jishac
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2018 5:32 pm

Re: Screenly OSE -- Digital Signage for the Raspberry Pi

Wed Aug 22, 2018 5:12 pm

amolodykh wrote:
Wed Aug 22, 2018 4:52 pm
jishac wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:08 pm
There are no clear instructions on how to enable Screenly to not require an Internet connection. There is reference to an "offline" mode, but the page only mentions that it is possible and not how to properly configure the software.

Furthermore a quick glance at the source seems to indicate that the use of "enable_offline_mode" is no longer checked/used. As an additional note, the Raspberry Pi has a RTC which is configured and working.

Is there a way to get Screenly to bypass the default gateway (Internet) check and function without connectivity?

Thanks!
It seems recently we have received a similar question. Please take a look, here is the full answer https://support.screenly.io/hc/en-us/co ... -SSID-WiFi
Hi amolodykh,

That answer is with regard to disabling the hotspot (which I've done) and the user has hardwired connections. My Pi's do not have ANY connection to the outside world. I feel this is often left out of the test cases. Rather the Pi will reach out and get an address only during periods where content will be uploaded or changed.

Thanks!

amolodykh
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:28 am

Re: Screenly OSE -- Digital Signage for the Raspberry Pi

Thu Aug 23, 2018 6:07 am

jishac wrote:
Wed Aug 22, 2018 5:12 pm
amolodykh wrote:
Wed Aug 22, 2018 4:52 pm
jishac wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:08 pm
There are no clear instructions on how to enable Screenly to not require an Internet connection. There is reference to an "offline" mode, but the page only mentions that it is possible and not how to properly configure the software.

Furthermore a quick glance at the source seems to indicate that the use of "enable_offline_mode" is no longer checked/used. As an additional note, the Raspberry Pi has a RTC which is configured and working.

Is there a way to get Screenly to bypass the default gateway (Internet) check and function without connectivity?

Thanks!
It seems recently we have received a similar question. Please take a look, here is the full answer https://support.screenly.io/hc/en-us/co ... -SSID-WiFi
Hi amolodykh,

That answer is with regard to disabling the hotspot (which I've done) and the user has hardwired connections. My Pi's do not have ANY connection to the outside world. I feel this is often left out of the test cases. Rather the Pi will reach out and get an address only during periods where content will be uploaded or changed.

Thanks!
okay, apparently I did not quite understand you. could you please formulate what exactly you want?

jishac
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2018 5:32 pm

Re: Screenly OSE -- Digital Signage for the Raspberry Pi

Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:14 pm

amolodykh wrote:
Thu Aug 23, 2018 6:07 am
okay, apparently I did not quite understand you. could you please formulate what exactly you want?
For screenly to work "offline" when no outside Internet connection is present at all. Display local content and local webpages only. Right now the server is hanging up due to the check in lib/utils.py for a default gateway.

I have tracked down the issue and will be creating a pull request with my suggestion of a fix.

[edit]
Here is a link to the pull request:
https://github.com/Screenly/screenly-ose/pull/885

galedon70
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:57 pm

Token Based Authentication

Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:03 pm

Is there a way to add the ability for token based authentication to Screenly in the OSE or Pro?

vpetersson
Posts: 391
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:23 am
Contact: Website

Re: Token Based Authentication

Mon Sep 03, 2018 10:06 am

galedon70 wrote:
Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:03 pm
Is there a way to add the ability for token based authentication to Screenly in the OSE or Pro?
Not yet. It's however something that we have for the roadmap for Pro.
Creator of Screenly (Screenly.io), the leading digital signage solution for the Raspberry Pi.
Twitter: @vpetersson | vpetersson.com

cable35
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat Sep 08, 2018 12:35 am

Re: Screenly OSE -- Digital Signage for the Raspberry Pi

Sat Sep 08, 2018 12:41 am

I would like to schedule assets to display by Day of the week

Like at our church i would want on Sunday at 8am to display our RTMP stream.
Then Sunday at 9am stop displaying the stream and display slide show of images.
Then Sunday at 10:30 am stop the slide show and display our RTMP stream again.
Then Sunday 11:30 until Saturday display the slide show of images again during the week.

Is there anyway to do this with OSE?

Thanks!

vpetersson
Posts: 391
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:23 am
Contact: Website

Re: Screenly OSE -- Digital Signage for the Raspberry Pi

Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:26 am

cable35 wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 12:41 am
I would like to schedule assets to display by Day of the week

Like at our church i would want on Sunday at 8am to display our RTMP stream.
Then Sunday at 9am stop displaying the stream and display slide show of images.
Then Sunday at 10:30 am stop the slide show and display our RTMP stream again.
Then Sunday 11:30 until Saturday display the slide show of images again during the week.

Is there anyway to do this with OSE?

Thanks!

No, this isn't something that is supported in OSE at the moment.
Creator of Screenly (Screenly.io), the leading digital signage solution for the Raspberry Pi.
Twitter: @vpetersson | vpetersson.com

drconrad
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:11 pm

Re: Screenly OSE -- Digital Signage for the Raspberry Pi

Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:26 pm

We have been having issues for awhile now with the install failing for Screenly. During the install, everything goes fine except for the the final task of asset database creation. We are getting the following error.

TASK [screenly : Create default assets database if does not exists] ********************************************
An exception occurred during task execution. To see the full traceback, use -vvv. The error was: ImportError: cannot import name shell_loader
fatal: [localhost]: FAILED! => {"msg": "Unexpected failure during module execution.", "stdout": ""}
to retry, use: --limit @/home/pi/screenly/ansible/site.retry
PLAY RECAP *****************************************************************************************************
localhost : ok=46 changed=11 unreachable=0 failed=1

At first we thought it was a bad sd card, but we got a new one and we are still having this issue. I've tried running the install again with --limit @/home/pi/screenly/ansible/site.retry on the end, still erroring out. I haven't been able to find any info online about this at all, and don't really know jack all about Linux. Thank you!

rusko124
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Sep 27, 2018 2:37 am

Re: Screenly OSE -- Digital Signage for the Raspberry Pi

Thu Sep 27, 2018 2:42 am

drconrad wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:26 pm
We have been having issues for awhile now with the install failing for Screenly. During the install, everything goes fine except for the the final task of asset database creation. We are getting the following error.

TASK [screenly : Create default assets database if does not exists] ********************************************
An exception occurred during task execution. To see the full traceback, use -vvv. The error was: ImportError: cannot import name shell_loader
fatal: [localhost]: FAILED! => {"msg": "Unexpected failure during module execution.", "stdout": ""}
to retry, use: --limit @/home/pi/screenly/ansible/site.retry
PLAY RECAP *****************************************************************************************************
localhost : ok=46 changed=11 unreachable=0 failed=1

At first we thought it was a bad sd card, but we got a new one and we are still having this issue. I've tried running the install again with --limit @/home/pi/screenly/ansible/site.retry on the end, still erroring out. I haven't been able to find any info online about this at all, and don't really know jack all about Linux. Thank you!
Hi drconrad, can you tell which version of ansible you use?

hubcity344
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:12 pm

Re: Screenly OSE -- Digital Signage for the Raspberry Pi

Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:14 pm

I have tried to install Screenly using the following link:

https://www.screenly.io/ose/

Option 1 works, but I cannot access the Pi at all once it's installed, other than to add media. I need to be able to SSH into the device for security purposes, so this is not an option.

Option 2 is the same as option 1.

Option 3 is missing some instructions and does not work. Once I get ready to install the software, there are 4 prompts, one of which asks about disabling Screenly Network Manager. No matter how I answer, it tells me it is not installed and installation halts. This does not work.

Option 4 has been giving me grief. I can load the image and get it going on one connection/port, but when I plug it into another port on the same network subnet, it will turn on, but not connect. There is currently a working device in that port, so I know there is Internet access.

This just seems like an extremely complicated process to get digital signage working.


Any thoughts?

rusko124
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Sep 27, 2018 2:37 am

Re: Screenly OSE -- Digital Signage for the Raspberry Pi

Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:52 am

hubcity344 wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:14 pm
I have tried to install Screenly using the following link:

https://www.screenly.io/ose/

Option 1 works, but I cannot access the Pi at all once it's installed, other than to add media. I need to be able to SSH into the device for security purposes, so this is not an option.

Option 2 is the same as option 1.

Option 3 is missing some instructions and does not work. Once I get ready to install the software, there are 4 prompts, one of which asks about disabling Screenly Network Manager. No matter how I answer, it tells me it is not installed and installation halts. This does not work.

Option 4 has been giving me grief. I can load the image and get it going on one connection/port, but when I plug it into another port on the same network subnet, it will turn on, but not connect. There is currently a working device in that port, so I know there is Internet access.

This just seems like an extremely complicated process to get digital signage working.


Any thoughts?
Hi , hubcity344! Can you answer a few of my questions?
For 1 and 2 options: Can you try use CTRL+ALT+F1 to log in to the console?
For 3 option: Can you try install Network Manager?( sudo apt-get install -y network-manager)

Return to “Other projects”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 12 guests