Bosse_B

PPTP VPN client in Jessie?

Sun Oct 11, 2015 7:54 pm

How does one set up a PPTP VPN client in Raspbian Jessie?
I know how to set up a PPT server in Wheezy but now I need to connect the Pi2B to our company VPN to reach the CVS server for source code management. In other Linux distros (on the PC platform) there was a network manager GUI where configuration of a PPTP connection could be done.
But in the Jessie GUI I find almost no configuration tools at all...
So is PPTP already part of Jessie or is there some package I need to install to make it work?
If so what are the steps to take?
Bo Berglund
Sweden

danjperron

Re: PPTP VPN client in Jessie?

Sun Oct 11, 2015 8:13 pm

I just set ppp with Jessie. I got a little problem with the rc.local script.

I fix this problem using the crontab and add a delay before starting the pppd. I know it is not exactly like the PPTP vpn but is very near the same.

you could check my XBee to Xbee via pppd.

viewtopic.php?p=826629#p826629

Bosse_B

Sun Oct 11, 2015 8:28 pm

I think that you misunderstood me....
I need the Pi2 to connect as a client to a PPTP VPN server running on a company I work for so I can manage the embedded software development I am doing on the Pi2 itself. The source code needs to be managed through the Version Control system at this company (CVS) so I need to make the Pi2 connect to the remote VPN server over the Internet.
Once connected I can reach the local CVS server computer, which is not exposed to the Internet.

A good example on how it is done in Linux Mint is shown in this YouTube video where a network connections dialog is shown and through this a new network connection is created. I am missing the dialogs like this from the Raspbian incarnation of Debian. :(

Is there a way to manually configure such a PPTP VPN connection and to make it easily accessible in the GUI?
Bo Berglund
Sweden

fruitoftheloom

Sun Oct 11, 2015 8:56 pm

Bosse_B wrote:I think that you misunderstood me....
I need the Pi2 to connect as a client to a PPTP VPN server running on a company I work for so I can manage the embedded software development I am doing on the Pi2 itself. The source code needs to be managed through the Version Control system at this company (CVS) so I need to make the Pi2 connect to the remote VPN server over the Internet.
Once connected I can reach the local CVS server computer, which is not exposed to the Internet.

A good example on how it is done in Linux Mint is shown in this YouTube video where a network connections dialog is shown and through this a new network connection is created. I am missing the dialogs like this from the Raspbian incarnation of Debian. :(

Is there a way to manually configure such a PPTP VPN connection and to make it easily accessible in the GUI?
fyi Debian based Distros, like Mint, shown in the Youtube Video, use "network-manager & network-manager-gnome (maybe also network-manager-pptp-gnome)" to manage networks

Raspbian LXDE-pi Desktop use by default "dhcpcd and dhcpcd-ui packages"
Adieu

Bosse_B

Sun Oct 11, 2015 9:59 pm

fruitoftheloom wrote: fyi Debian based Distros, like Mint, shown in the Youtube Video, use "network-manager & network-manager-gnome (maybe also network-manager-pptp-gnome)" to manage networks
Raspbian LXDE-pi Desktop use by default "dhcpcd and dhcpcd-ui packages"
Yes I know. In Linux Mint it was really simple as shown in the video, so when I worked on a few website items at the same company I could easily connect PPTP VPN from the Mint computer (a virtual machine on my Windows laptop).

But back to the RPi2B:
I installed network-manager via apt-get, but when it was done I tried to start it in Menu/Run.. and entered "net" whereupon NetworkManager was filled in and I selected that. But nothing showed. :(
So I apt-get removed it again.
I have already installed pptp-linux, which I believe is the functionality needed. But the problem is that I have no clue as to how I can use it to connect to my target machine over the Internet.
Do I have to issue a call in a terminal window?
If so how would it be constructed?

Code: Select all

pptp <address of target> <then what?>
And how would I disconnect once it has been connected and used?
There seems to be no GUI available.
Or I am missing something obvious.
Bo Berglund
Sweden

Bosse_B

Mon Oct 12, 2015 10:17 am

I have found a web resource here: Using PPTP VPN on Raspberry Pi

I have followed its description but I cannot connect anyway, the remote server rejects my connection....
When I use Win7 VPN using PPTP I am successfully logged on every time.

So what is the difference between the Windows and Raspbian PPTP protocols?

I used the pptpsetup script supplied with the pptp installation and when I used the command:

$ sudo pptpsetup --create MYCONNECTION --server vpn.ourcompany.com --domain DOMAINNAME --username myname --password ******* --encrypt --start
it created a configuration file named MYCONNECTION like this:

# written by pptpsetup
pty "pptp vpn.ourcompany.com --nolaunchpppd"
lock
noauth
nobsdcomp
nodeflate
name DOMAINNAME\myname
remotename MYCONNECTION
ipparam MYCONNECTION
require-mppe-128
Is there anyone here who has gotten this to work on a Raspberry Pi running Raspbian Jessie?
Bo Berglund
Sweden

Bosse_B

Fri Oct 16, 2015 9:27 pm

Please if there is someone who has gotten this to work on Jessie then I would be very grateful for a share in how it was done.
I really need my new Pi2 to be able to connect a VPN channel to the company so that sources I work on can be version controlled in their server...

I just need to figure out how to set up and connect a PPTP VPN client on the Pi to connect to teh ame address I can connect just fine with Win7.
Bo Berglund
Sweden

Pi_thon

Thu Jan 07, 2016 8:52 am

This is my first post and I am fresh Pi owner.
I have managed to get VPN from Witopia working (PPTP and Cisco IPsec) on Rasbian, in short:
Rasbian is installed via NOOBS (I am not sure how you check version).
I administer the Rasbian via VNC - tightvncserver
I have tried to use pptp-linux from command line but it could not connect

Then I have installed NetworkManager with modules for PPTP, Cisco IPsec and GUI (network-manager, network-manager-gnome, network-manager-vpnc, network-manager-vpnc-gnome, network-manager-vpnc, network-manager-vpnc-gnome)

The GUI does not work with standard setup (options are greyed out) – most likely due to problem with privileges.
I have found that if you change in settings

sudo raspi-config
boot option to console autologin then you can use the gui via VNC
alternatively one can try to access the NetworkManager via:

gksudo nm-connection-editor
At this stage I was able to connect to VPN but my IP address did not changed. The problem was that two pieces of software were managing the connection. So it is necessary to deactivate dhcpcd

sudo service dhcpcd stop
systemctl disable dhcpcd
sudo update-rc.d dhcpcd disable
sudo service NetworkManager start
The above worked for me I understand that some command there are redundant.

hope that helps

Return to “Raspbian”