asb
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

New repository component for bleeding-edge firmware

Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:45 pm

I've added a new component to the archive.raspberrypi.org debian repository which contains a bleeding edge build of the latest firmware. As on 22nd July, I have not yet automated the generation of these packages but will do so shortly.

Beware: these firmware releases are lightly tested and could lead to regressions. Don't use unless you're happy you are able to recover your SD card image by downgrading if necessary.

If you're using the Foundation's Raspbian release then just edit /etc/apt/sources.list.d/raspi.list so it contains the 'untested' component:

Code: Select all

deb http://archive.raspberrypi.org/debian/ wheezy main untested
Then do

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install raspi-config libraspberrypi*

I hope mpthompson and plugwash will forgive me for posting this in the Raspbian forum - it is relevant only to raspbian users.

chrisw2

Re: New repository component for bleeding-edge firmware

Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:10 pm

Thanks, Alex

nicknml

Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:09 pm

Will there also be a repository component for the latest stable firmware in the future?

asb
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:14 pm

nicknml wrote:Will there also be a repository component for the latest stable firmware in the future?
Stable firmware is in the 'main' component, which is in your default sources.list on the foundation Raspbian image.

nicknml

Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:15 pm

asb wrote:
nicknml wrote:Will there also be a repository component for the latest stable firmware in the future?
Stable firmware is in the 'main' component, which is in your default sources.list on the foundation Raspbian image.
Ok thanks.

asb
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:52 pm

Dom pushed out a new firmware build, and I've updated the debs (automating this is still on the todo list...). We've updated the kernel defconfig so it hopefully now has all outstanding requests for modules enabled. See https://github.com/raspberrypi/linux/co ... 6cc6b162dc Also, Dom has rebuilt the firmware with a gcc 4.7 based toolchain.

bob_binz

Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:09 pm

Probably another daft question, but does raspberrypi-firmware package contain kernel file & modules too? if so, and I want to keep my own kernel (custom,) presumably I need to replace it following an upgrade?

PaulCheffus

Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:53 pm

asb wrote:Dom pushed out a new firmware build, and I've updated the debs (automating this is still on the todo list...). We've updated the kernel defconfig so it hopefully now has all outstanding requests for modules enabled. See https://github.com/raspberrypi/linux/co ... 6cc6b162dc Also, Dom has rebuilt the firmware with a gcc 4.7 based toolchain.
Hi

Does this still require the use of rpi-update or will apt-get update && apt-get upgrade do this. I ask as last night I used rpi-update on Foundations Raspbian image and then it wouldn't boot, the Ok light was just flashing. I ended up re-imaging the card from a backup and not running rpi-update.

Cheers

Paul
Procrastination - The Thief of Time.

asb
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:35 pm

bob_binz wrote:Probably another daft question, but does raspberrypi-firmware package contain kernel file & modules too? if so, and I want to keep my own kernel (custom,) presumably I need to replace it following an upgrade?
Yes, it's all bundled in the raspberrypi-bootloader package. I forget if there's a config.txt parameter that lets you specify an alternative name for the kernel - if so you could name your own kernel something other than kernel.img.

asb
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:42 pm

PaulCheffus wrote:
asb wrote:Dom pushed out a new firmware build, and I've updated the debs (automating this is still on the todo list...). We've updated the kernel defconfig so it hopefully now has all outstanding requests for modules enabled. See https://github.com/raspberrypi/linux/co ... 6cc6b162dc Also, Dom has rebuilt the firmware with a gcc 4.7 based toolchain.
Hi

Does this still require the use of rpi-update or will apt-get update && apt-get upgrade do this. I ask as last night I used rpi-update on Foundations Raspbian image and then it wouldn't boot, the Ok light was just flashing. I ended up re-imaging the card from a backup and not running rpi-update.
The update is available via apt-get update && apt-get upgrade.

bob_binz

Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:58 pm

asb wrote:
bob_binz wrote:Probably another daft question, but does raspberrypi-firmware package contain kernel file & modules too? if so, and I want to keep my own kernel (custom,) presumably I need to replace it following an upgrade?
Yes, it's all bundled in the raspberrypi-bootloader package. I forget if there's a config.txt parameter that lets you specify an alternative name for the kernel - if so you could name your own kernel something other than kernel.img.
K, thanks Alex. Yeah, I'm currently using config.txt to specify my 3.2 kernel. Was just curious what comes with the deb.

NERDtendo

Sun Jul 29, 2012 12:54 am

asb wrote:If you're using the Foundation's Raspbian release then just edit /etc/apt/sources.list.d/raspi.list so it contains the 'untested' component:

deb http://archive.raspberrypi.org/debian/ wheezy main untested
Then do

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade
I attempted to edit my raspi.list and it won't allow me to save. I tried this by navigating through the file manager as well as going into the SD card through my Ubuntu computer and both times it says that I cannot save the changes I made. What am I doing wrong???

edit: I read in another thread about the lack of reboot/shutdown options on the desktop logout when using just "startx" and that the options come back if you use "sudo su startx" having to do with permissions. Maybe that would allow me to save the changes I make to the raspi.list file??? I'll try that and see what happens.

NERDtendo

Sun Jul 29, 2012 3:54 am

NERDtendo wrote:edit: I read in another thread about the lack of reboot/shutdown options on the desktop logout when using just "startx" and that the options come back if you use "sudo su startx" having to do with permissions. Maybe that would allow me to save the changes I make to the raspi.list file??? I'll try that and see what happens.
Update: I attempted to "sudo su startx" after login and it came back with something about no password for startx so I tried using "sudo startx" and suceeded in loading the desktop with permissions which allowed me to save the changes needed in raspi.list

Everything went smoothly after that.

GizmoTheGreen

Sun Jul 29, 2012 7:09 am

or you could've just done

su nano filetoedit

Ray_GTI-R

Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:28 am

asb wrote:
PaulCheffus wrote:
Hi

The update is available via apt-get update && apt-get upgrade.
So do I need to ...
(If you're using the Foundation's Raspbian release then just) edit /etc/apt/sources.list.d/raspi.list so it contains the 'untested' component
... anymore? Or has that instruction been superceeded?

asb
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:24 pm

Ray_GTI-R wrote: So do I need to ...
(If you're using the Foundation's Raspbian release then just) edit /etc/apt/sources.list.d/raspi.list so it contains the 'untested' component
... anymore? Or has that instruction been superceeded?
You do need to add the untested component if you want these bleeding edge firmware releases.

asb
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:28 pm

I've just updated the repository with the latest firmware. See http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... ee#p138705 for details on the changes. Please do give it a go, particularly if you've previously suffered FAT corruption problems. Also try the suggested additions to cmdline.txt if you may be suffering from USB packet loss.

lintweaker

Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:28 pm

As posted in the troubleshooting->Sound stuttering with playing MP3 thread
http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... 28&t=13184
I have trouble booting with the mentioned sdhci-bcm2708 options. The new kernel/firmware itself (so without the options) shows great improvement when playing sound trough a connected USB 2.0 (UAC2) device, even 192k FLAC works very nice [i.e. greatly improved but still the occasional dropout/crackle]. We're getting there!

PaulCheffus

Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:20 pm

asb wrote:I've just updated the repository with the latest firmware. See http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... ee#p138705 for details on the changes. Please do give it a go, particularly if you've previously suffered FAT corruption problems. Also try the suggested additions to cmdline.txt if you may be suffering from USB packet loss.
Hi

Setting the sdhci-bcm2708.missing_status=0 causes my keyboard to miss keys and repeats keys very frequently. Removing this option returns things to normal. Keyboard is a Logitech K400.

Cheers

Paul
Procrastination - The Thief of Time.

chrisw2

Sat Aug 18, 2012 7:07 pm

@asb - is there an update to the bleeding-edge repo due soon? I'm thinking in particular of the possible improvements to the USB driver module that were committed a few days ago but after 10th Aug?

No worries if not, I'll make other arrangements to get the "possibly improved USB driver module" for testing.

chrisw2

Sun Aug 19, 2012 7:31 pm

In case anyone is interested the latest firmware from github is using kernel v3.2.27

asb
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:15 pm

I've updated again. In fact, I've just rolled out the latest kernel to stable too (there have been surprisingly few problems reported despite the large changes of moving to 3.2.x, updating dwc_otg and introducing various fixes).

MrEngman

Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:48 pm

asb wrote:I've updated again. In fact, I've just rolled out the latest kernel to stable too (there have been surprisingly few problems reported despite the large changes of moving to 3.2.x, updating dwc_otg and introducing various fixes).
I've noticed apt-get updates updating the firmware on a couple of occations. Haven't had any problems. My script has been checking if apt-get does update the firmware for a while now particulary to check for the kernel revision update to 3.2 x.

MrEngman
Simplicity is a prerequisite for reliability. Edsger W. Dijkstra

Please post ALL technical questions on the forum. Please Do Not send private messages.

asb
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:50 pm

Updated again. https://twitter.com/rpf_dev_updates gives more information about updates which have recently been integrated. Please do try to edit /boot/cmdline.txt and add dwc_otg.fiq_fix_enable=1 (more info at http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... 09#p163509).

ppuskari

Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:41 am

Okay I have run into this before and now I just want to figure out how to fix this somewhat confusing and annoying interaction of apt-get and rpi-update.

My scenario is such that I added the 'untested' repository as suggested and that works fine for the most part. THANKS! My issue happens to show up when I run rpi-update.

If I login run rpi-update and let's say it loads #171 like it did tonight.. Nice and bleeding edge. Then I reboot. I get #171 installed.

Then I run apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade and it selects everything including the untested repo kernel and boot stuff. It finishes. I reboot and I get #160 installed!!! (Okay I now include the hold back of the kernel stuff now) so maybe that won't happen again BUT

I run rpi-update...... It says already up to date. SAY WHAT?? NO #171 is the latest....

Any ideas how to fool one or the other to allow me to actually get rpi-update to upgrade me to the newest?

I have noticed in the past before I put a hold on the rpi stuff... That if I just wait till a new kernel/firmware is released so right now say if #174 is released or something, then rpi-update will actually see that as new and finally allow it to update.

The other idea would be perhaps can we find some way to push the git firmware updates to the untested repo a bit quicker er automated?

Thanks for any suggestion. It's a bit frustrating but not insurmountable.

Return to “Raspbian”